Two IMIEVs... both not charging

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phb10186

Hi all, not been posting for a while, as have been extremely busy with work.

I have two 2012 IMIEVs: both are currently not charging, and I had given my car to my parents, becasue I am now doing a 100 mile round trip every day.

So:

Imiev 1: 2012 Black standard 16Kw with Chademo - 54K miles, UK spec:

Will not AC charge, but will Chademo. Ive replaced the 12v battery as a precaution. I have the yellow exclamation mark, regen is operational.

Car goes in to Ready and will drive.

CanION battery health good: all cells between 4.1 and 4.2V.

OBD2 codes are:

Car Scanner ELM OBD2
DTC report
Selected brand: Mitsubishi

============1==============
U1116
Raw code: D116
ECU: Dashboard/Meter #2
Status: Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request
Mitsubishi: SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Electrical Energy Management; KOS CAN timeout/Not equipped

============2==============
U1111
Raw code: D111
ECU: BCM/ETACS #2
Status: Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request
Mitsubishi: SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Primary Id; Display CAN timeout/Not equipped

============3==============
P0A09
Raw code: 0A09
ECU: E/V ECU
Status: Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle
OBDII: DC to DC converter status - circuit low

============4==============
P1A12
Raw code: 1A12
ECU: E/V ECU[Archive (inactive)]

This car is daily used, and has been faultless since ive had it. I am working on the hypothesis that this could be a sudden failure of the AC charger invertor common capacitor fault, but this is only a hunch - still in process of doing the reading, just putting this out to you all.

Imiev 2: 2012 Silver Keiko spec 16Kw with Chademo - 23K miles, UK spec:

Will not AC charge or Chademo. I have the yellow exclamation mark, does not go to ready... traction pack is completely flat (was going to ready before, now not)... Ive not had the time to investigate it: bur before it failed it was cutting out after 2-4 bards of AC charge... now the pack is really really flat.

I tried to Chademo it today, but it would not initialise, thus could not charge it... annoyingly

This car is pulling the following codes:

Car Scanner ELM OBD2
DTC report
Selected brand: Mitsubishi

============1==============
P1A59
Raw code: 1A59
ECU: 762

============2==============
U1116
Raw code: D116
ECU: Dashboard/Meter #2
Mitsubishi: SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Electrical Energy Management; KOS CAN timeout/Not equipped

============3==============
U1111
Raw code: D111
ECU: BCM/ETACS #2
Mitsubishi: SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Primary Id; Display CAN timeout/Not equipped

============4==============
P1A59
Raw code: 1A59
ECU: BMU

============5==============
P1A57
Raw code: 1A57

============6==============
P1A7D
Raw code: 1A7D

============7==============
P1A7B
Raw code: 1A7B

============8==============
P1A30
Raw code: 1A30
Status: Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle

============9==============
P1A33
Raw code: 1A33

============10==============
P1A39
Raw code: 1A39

============11==============
P1B03
Raw code: 1B03
ECU: E/V ECU[Archive (inactive)]

I am working on the assumption that this could be an identical fault... because prior to it going, it was failing to fully AC charge properly.

I will begin to do some research... but this is the initial post to gather any of your views.

In advance: much appreciated.

Hi there
Sorry to hear about your troubles, I think your assumption of a faulty OBC on the first car is correct, there are numerous discussions on this forum on what to do next.

Second one doesn’t seem to be as clear cut, but also seems to be OBC related; did you change the 12V battery also, (make sure the replacement battery is fully charged before you use it) Did you try and clear the DTC’s, are all these errors listed coming back afterwards?
When you say flat traction battery, what voltages do you read?

MickeyS70 said:
Hi there
Sorry to hear about your troubles, I think your assumption of a faulty OBC on the first car is correct, there are numerous discussions on this forum on what to do next.

Second one doesn’t seem to be as clear cut, but also seems to be OBC related; did you change the 12V battery also, (make sure the replacement battery is fully charged before you use it) Did you try and clear the DTC’s, are all these errors listed coming back afterwards?
When you say flat traction battery, what voltages do you read?

The silver one has been sitting for a while, maybe 3m while the AC failed. Cell voltages were virtually o for many cells, almost 0 for about the other 10... so it is well dead.

I assume the chademo didnt work on the silver one because the pack is too flat, and some error codes are related to CAN failures on that side.

there were no other signs with the silver one other than the AC stopping mid charge... say every 2 bars... before failing completely.

I would agree the black one is likely more straightforward.

The OBC troubleshooting thread is 106 pages, and somewhat hard to follow consicely, before diving into diagnostic side stories, based on examination. Is there a more conscise troubleshooting guide that has the top 3 faults?

I know about the 2 capacitors - and that was on my mind with the silver one getting weak, but the black one still working - but this thread has ballooned since I last read it, with several other failure points cropping up.

The top faults seem to be either on the AC Input section, or on the HV DC Output section.
The first page of that thread has lots of pictures, plus links to nearly everything that can or should be checked.
But if the pack is dead then the car won't go to READY, obviously, and it also won't allow the OBC to function because the main contactors must operate first.
Your OBC may actually be okay in that car, but the dead pack is causing it not to engage. It also won't fast charge with Chademo if the pack is too low.
Most folks don't have access to a high voltage power supply that could be used to manually charge the pack thru the Chademo (bypassing the dcqc relay), but that would be one way to attempt this. Were you able to read an actual voltage of the pack? It may be at some low level such as 2.1 volts/cell rather than zero, in which case there would be hope.
You could swap OBC units between the cars to see if it is defective, but that is a lot of work for not much benefit.

kiev said:
The top faults seem to be either on the AC Input section, or on the HV DC Output section.
The first page of that thread has lots of pictures, plus links to nearly everything that can or should be checked.
But if the pack is dead then the car won't go to READY, obviously, and it also won't allow the OBC to function because the main contactors must operate first.
Your OBC may actually be okay in that car, but the dead pack is causing it not to engage. It also won't fast charge with Chademo if the pack is too low.
Most folks don't have access to a high voltage power supply that could be used to manually charge the pack thru the Chademo (bypassing the dcqc relay), but that would be one way to attempt this. Were you able to read an actual voltage of the pack? It may be at some low level such as 2.1 volts/cell rather than zero, in which case there would be hope.
You could swap OBC units between the cars to see if it is defective, but that is a lot of work for not much benefit.

Thanks Kiev - so how does one charge a car with a completely flat pack then? because that will be needed to progress. I can see if i can read the pack. Canion chart axes were too hard to decipher.

Seems like there is a thread where i posted about how to activate the dcqc relay thru some jumper wires in the Chademo port and this will expose the HV DC of the pack at the big 9mm sockets in the port. Years ago the forum had an option to create web blogs and i had a written a technical blog to cover tips and tricks such as this, but when the forum changed owners it no longer has blogs.

Canion will make a screenshot if you tap the screen, then upload it to an image storage place like the cloud or imgur, then you can post the image link and it will show up here.

Update: silver 2012 car:

Replaced 12v battery with a new one, car starts, goes to ready still, will chademo. AC charging and yellow '!' light remain:

down to these two fault codes:

U1116 [0xD116]
SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Electrical Energy Management; KOS CAN timeout/Not equipped
============================
BCM/ETACS #2BCM/ETACS #2
DTCs: 1
----------------------------
U1111 [0xD111]
SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Primary Id; Display CAN timeout/Not equipped

Main fuse in the MCU is not blown.

No fuses under the bonnet/ hood were blown... I checked all of them in each of the three fuse boxes. relays I could not check.

Update silver 2012 car:

Main fuse in the MCU is not blown.

No fuses under the bonnet/ hood were blown... I checked all of them in each of the three fuse boxes. relays I could not check.

I could not connect mu OBD2 scanner today, CannION got the better of me today.

The remaining fault codes are CAN related and not representative of your issue, did you read the error codes while the fault was still active?

Try clearing the DTCs a few times and then plug in the AC charger and read the codes again when the fault appears.

MickeyS70 said:
The remaining fault codes are CAN related and not representative of your issue, did you read the error codes while the fault was still active?

Try clearing the DTCs a few times and then plug in the AC charger and read the codes again when the fault appears.

Yes, that's in the original post.

Update on black car... 12v batter not being charged by traction battery...

So, car not AC charging, but will Chademo, and the traction battery is not charging the 12v DC battery.

If i top the 12v up, it still has the red battery sign and '!' sign, but will drive ok.

Check the fuse under the access cover of the MCU--it is likely blown if AC charging and DC converter not working. If blown then check the OBC snubber caps near the AC relay on the lower power board, they are likely blown also.

kiev said:
Check the fuse under the access cover of the MCU--it is likely blown if AC charging and DC converter not working. If blown then check the OBC snubber caps near the AC relay on the lower power board, they are likely blown also.

The main fuse in the MCU was fine, in both cars

Back