Ion 2012. Will not charge AC, only DC. No active codes indicating any useful (after OBC Swap = Yellow car)

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwahlgreen

Codes before reset:
U1109 [0xD109]
U1111 [0xD111]
U1116 [0xD116]
U1109 [0xD109] Archive (inactive)
U1111 [0xD111]
U1109 [0xD109] Archive (inactive)
P1A12 [0x1A12] Archive (inactive)

After a reset:
U1116 [0xD116]
U1111 [0xD111]
P1A12 [0x1A12] Archive (inactive)

So I tried to change the OBC to one that should work (caps replaced, never tested)

Now the car gave me the yellow car + ! and no Ready!
Now the only codes showing was
U1111 [0xD111]

The car could not detect the charging cable

Replaced caps in the original OBC and put it back in.
Still yellow car + ! and no Ready!
The car could now detect the charging cable, but no test of anything.

Battery light, !-mark and yellow car stays on in the dash, when key is left for few seconds in ON pos.
(no handbrake activated)

12V battery shows 13.xV and is less than 12 months old (Varta)

Dash shows all "gears", P-R-N-D, when moved and the switch has been sprayed with WD40 as I was in the area.

Main fuse in inverter looks not burned (forgot the measure it)

Any ideas on where to start?

More information + facts

I do not have a MUT II device.
I have an Autel ECS tester. (MaxiCheck MX808)
I also have a OBDLink LX OBD II dongle and an android phone (and an Iphone) with CarScanner & CanIon installed.

I forgot to undo the safety device under the seat+12V battery for one of the swaps, but no key in the ignition at any point, except when trying to read codes with EVERYTHING hook up correctly.

This was Friday (36 hours ago).
I have had a few ideas, that I have not tested yet, however I want your perspective before I muddy the waters with my own.

I also have access to a working car and plenty on old OBC's that just need a new set of caps and one motor controller.

And I really appreciate your help and effort you put in this forum

Last edited:
It's unusual to have so many U-codes, which are CAN Buss fault codes.

The P1A12 is thrown for any internal OBC fault for abnormal Stop during charging. The troubleshooting seems to focus on the CAN Buss, and this caution is right up top:
If there is any problem in the CAN bus lines, an incorrect diagnosis code may be set. Prior to this diagnosis, always diagnose the CAN bus lines.

So does the OBC not work due to an internal fault, or because there is a CAN Buss problem (wiring harness damage by rodents, or corrosion of contacts in a connector).

The MCU fuse will not change appearance when it blows--you can't tell by looking at it. This would fail if the snubber capacitors on the HV DC Output section were to blow.

Does the charging sequence seem to fail right at the onset, or does the EVSE relay kick in and the car faults after about 5 seconds?

Since the car will not charge, nor go to READY mode, then the issue is not just about the OBC, but more likely a common cause such as the indicated U-code CAN buss faults.

Pull up the rear seat and inspect wiring and connectors, maybe a mouse has found a way inside.

Just to go back to the start, did the car go to READY initially and drove, the only issue was that it didn’t AC charge?

This may seem unrelated, but do your interior (dome) lights work? If not, check fuse #13 as this has prevented AC charging in another instance.

Did you get the DTCs with CarScanner / OBDLink LX on Android, if not try again through the app as iirc someone else had issues getting codes with an Autel

Just to go back to the start, did the car go to READY initially and drove, the only issue was that it didn’t AC charge?

This may seem unrelated, but do your interior (dome) lights work? If not, check fuse #13 as this has prevented AC charging in another instance.

Did you get the DTCs with CarScanner / OBDLink LX on Android, if not try again through the app as iirc someone else had issues getting codes with an Autel
Yes the car drove in. It would not AC charge.
No snubber cap damage in OBC.

I will run CarScanner and check

I will also check fuses (one of my own ideas)

It's unusual to have so many U-codes, which are CAN Buss fault codes.

The P1A12 is thrown for any internal OBC fault for abnormal Stop during charging. The troubleshooting seems to focus on the CAN Buss, and this caution is right up top:

So does the OBC not work due to an internal fault, or because there is a CAN Buss problem (wiring harness damage by rodents, or corrosion of contacts in a connector).

The MCU fuse will not change appearance when it blows--you can't tell by looking at it. This would fail if the snubber capacitors on the HV DC Output section were to blow.

Does the charging sequence seem to fail right at the onset, or does the EVSE relay kick in and the car faults after about 5 seconds?

Since the car will not charge, nor go to READY mode, then the issue is not just about the OBC, but more likely a common cause such as the indicated U-code CAN buss faults.

Pull up the rear seat and inspect wiring and connectors, maybe a mouse has found a way inside.
I will defently measure the HV main fuse. No snubber cap damaged when inspected and changed.

I will take a look at the wireharness for the grey connector again (the connector has been cleaned with contact clean er)

And check for damaged wireharness under the seat.

Cannot remember what the EVSE relay is. However the car does nothing but blinking in the dash. No test of pumps or fans as if the issue where the snubber caps in the OBC. (5 second of "charge")

The 5-second time-out is usually due to a failure in the AC Input section.

The session will start with normal pump and contactor clacking noises, and the relay in the EVSE will click ON to supply AC to the car, but the OBC will not detect that AC has made it to the waffle plate.

Your earlier post indicated "no Ready!", so while it may have been driven in, it now won't go to READY, correct?

That's due to the U-codes, there is a fault in the CAN buss somewhere that will block driving or charging. The problem is bigger than just the OBC.

Last edited:
Correct, it would go into ready on its way in

No clanking sounds, yes niether main contactors or EVSE relay

I am on my way to dig futher into the wireharness, that migth be the issue

I suspect the gray connector to the OBC on wireharness or a wire full of water ingress (corrosion).

You did not (IIRC) mention clearing any DTCs again after installing the replacement OBC…? They will still be active preventing ‘ready’ and charging if they are not cleared despite the ‘new’ OBC.

Back