Future i-MiEV Models Confirmed For United States

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pulled this from a comment on InsideEVs.com
The eK Wagon is the successor Kai car of the gasoline i from Mitsubishi and the add campaign is specially targeting female drivers. It’s selling very well in Japan and I hope they will make an EV version of it too.
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/ek_wagon/special/new_ek_wagon/index.html

Looks like a compromise from the 'pure' design concept of the i to a more generic modern high-waisted hatchback.
But Mitsu management seems determined to make GM-esque blunders despite the best efforts of their engineers and designers.
http://insideevs.com/are-the-mitsubishi-miev-series-of-evs-losing-ground-everywhere/

Cooperation Mitsubishi-Nissan for the next electric kei-car

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/05/renaultnissan-mitsubishi-cooperation-idUSL3N0IQ27O20131105

Perhaps the Nissan Dayz and Mitsu eK.

days3.jpg
ekmits.jpg

And seems that ends colaboration with Peugeot/Citroën. Euro clones will be Renault this time?

Barbagris, thank you for finding this.

"The electric version of the new Kei car is likely to harness Nissan's lithium-ion battery technology and Mitsubishi motors, Nissan spokeswoman Noriko Yoneyama said."

At first glance I didn't see anything about North America, and that'll still probably be at least three years down the road. In the meantime I would hope that Mitsu continues importing the i-MiEV.

I hope this doesn't replace the i-MiEV or become it. It looks like they're imitating the latest Detroit SUVs, all boxy and no concern for aerodynamics or the sleek look.

Maybe this is old news, but I just noticed that the Mitsubishi N.A. Website now states that the 2014 i-MiEV will arrive in the U.S. in late spring 2014. I had not heard of a new i-MiEV version until the Mitsubishi-Nissan kei car collaboration was announced, and that car won't be ready by late spring 2014. Trying to sell the current version against much tougher competition seems foolhardy. What do you think the 2014 i-MiEV will be (assuming we believe what Mitsubishi is stating)?

I wouldn't mind the styling of either model above. The purple one looks a lot like my raspberry. Both of those models look like they have sensible cabin space, and a little high off the ground like we have now...something lacking in many smaller cars today. I swear I can get in and out of my iMiev more easily that I was able to in my Crown Vic.

One of the criticisms of the 2012 model was that it looked a bit like a circus car. I think a more "common" appearance would help with public acceptance.

fjpod said:
I wouldn't mind the styling of either model above. Both of those models look like they have sensible cabin space, and a little high off the ground like we have now...something lacking in many smaller cars today. I swear I can get in and out of my iMiev more easily that I was able to in my Crown Vic.
I agree

If you're engineering a car with a limited 'fuel' potential (like the amount of electricity you can store in a battery light enough to be practical) then it makes good sense to optimize the usefulness of the vehicle rather than giving away utility and practicality trying to gain an extra few percentage points of range by making it aerodynamically sleek

In other words, I'm much happier driving an iMiEV with a 60 mile range at moderate speeds, but with the ability to comfortably haul 4 adults who can easily get in and out of the car, plus a reasonable amount of cargo space than I would be driving something like an electric Lotus Esprit which might go twice as far (or twice as fast) but can't do what a 'real car' can do

Don

The iMiEV is a practical car. Perhaps its shape is strange, but my kids (186 and 183 cm, a little more than 6 ft) fit perfectly in the back.

In the wonderful Model S, with its 5 meters long, will not fit. I never buy a Tesla Model S with that limitation. Perhaps a Tesla Roadster, or a e-motorbike. But for me the Model S is not useful as a family car. This little kei-car is.

---------

With the CA-Miev concept Mitsu spoke about double the range. I like that, despite the strange style.

That's one of the problems with the iMiev...it's too practical, so it's not sexy. Suits me fine, but it won't help market penetration.

fjpod said:
That's one of the problems with the iMiev...it's too practical, so it's not sexy. Suits me fine, but it won't help market penetration.
My i-MiEV has been called sexy by a few people. Just yesterday, I was talking to someone in Pittsburgh that was walking down the street, stopped, and asked about the car. He was really impressed, without taking a ride in it.

You would think short range fleets would snag these up like candy.

alohart said:
Maybe this is old news, but I just noticed that the Mitsubishi N.A. Website now states that the 2014 i-MiEV will arrive in the U.S. in late spring 2014. I had not heard of a new i-MiEV version until the Mitsubishi-Nissan kei car collaboration was announced, and that car won't be ready by late spring 2014. Trying to sell the current version against much tougher competition seems foolhardy. What do you think the 2014 i-MiEV will be (assuming we believe what Mitsubishi is stating)?
I don't know about old, but it's certainly news to me. It's good to know we should have the i-MiEV back by June. It's been hard to recommend the car since this past spring's rather obvious clearance/fire sale.

Btw, did anyone else notice Mitsubishi's given up on calling the car the "i"? For 2014, the official U.S. market name is "i-MiEV", just like everywhere else (and just like I've been calling it for most of 2013 - "i" is cute, but somewhat confusing in speech or writing).

As to what we'll be getting, no doubt on one point - it's the same car. The most obvious exterior change is the loss of the raspberry color - seriously, we lose the only actual COLOR? So all white or black or silver now. Who knew those little Plum EVs would be collectors' items?

Not a lot of detail on the web page, which most notably lacks anything under "BUILD & PRICE" or "INTERIOR 360". But Art, I do think you have a point about coming back to market with what appears to be exactly the same car they had to withdraw a year earlier, especially with the LEAF S out there (though not easy to find) at $30k. From the gaps in Mitsu's product page, it's possible there's been a re-think of the interior and/or what trim levels to offer, but if so I hope they don't think any of that means they can come back at their old $28k+ price. It's going to be very hard to justify that for a car whose last established market value (before tax credits) was more like $20k. Breaking $25k would be psychologically important, so I hope they understand they needn't bother if they can't deliver an ES for $24,995 or less (with the emphasis on less). I'm sure part of the delay in its return is some pencil-sharpening and fervent prayer in hopes of achieving that, but I don't blame 'em for not wanting to put a number out there yet, risking either howls of derision on announcement or howls of protest if they're forced to raise it later.

Oh, this time, dummies - let's include that Aux-in jack on the ES, okay? Wouldn't hurt to authorize your dealers to install it on the 2012s as well - the radio's already wired for it and it uses the same AUX option kit used for other Mitsus, just need to tell 'em they can hook it up.

Vike said:
Btw, did anyone else notice Mitsubishi's given up on calling the car the "i"? For 2014, the official U.S. market name is "i-MiEV", just like everywhere else (and just like I've been calling it for most of 2013 - "i" is cute, but somewhat confusing in speech or writing).
I noticed that i-MiEV is easier for people to understand (mainly after you 'splain it). It is odd that the car is the only " i-device " that I like. I got an old iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPod Nano (all 1st gen), and the Nano is the best of the three. I'm an Android guy. :mrgreen:

Vike said:
As to what we'll be getting, no doubt on one point - it's the same car. The most obvious exterior change is the loss of the raspberry color - seriously, we lose the only actual COLOR? So all white or black or silver now. Who knew those little Plum EVs would be collectors' items?
I've never seen the Raspberry in person. Black is pretty slick, but the metallic white really shines in the sun. :cool: How about Ocean Blue? Anybody have any luck getting one brought in from Canada?

Vike said:
Not a lot of detail on the web page, which most notably lacks anything under "BUILD & PRICE" or "INTERIOR 360". But Art, I do think you have a point about coming back to market with what appears to be exactly the same car they had to withdraw a year earlier, especially with the LEAF S out there (though not easy to find) at $30k. From the gaps in Mitsu's product page, it's possible there's been a re-think of the interior and/or what trim levels to offer, but if so I hope they don't think any of that means they can come back at their old $28k+ price. It's going to be very hard to justify that for a car whose last established market value (before tax credits) was more like $20k. Breaking $25k would be psychologically important, so I hope they understand they needn't bother if they can't deliver an ES for $24,995 or less (with the emphasis on less). I'm sure part of the delay in its return is some pencil-sharpening and fervent prayer in hopes of achieving that, but I don't blame 'em for not wanting to put a number out there yet, risking either howls of derision on announcement or howls of protest if they're forced to raise it later.
Equipping both the i-MiEV and the LEAF with quick charge still makes the i-MiEV a thousand dollars cheaper. That really should be standard anyways.

Vike said:
Oh, this time, dummies - let's include that Aux-in jack on the ES, okay? Wouldn't hurt to authorize your dealers to install it on the 2012s as well - the radio's already wired for it and it uses the same AUX option kit used for other Mitsus, just need to tell 'em they can hook it up.
Easy! But seriously, an AUX-in jack should be standard, especially since the radio already has it. Maybe a $2 cord from Radioshack? It can't be much more than that.

PV1 said:
Equipping both the i-MiEV and the LEAF with quick charge still makes the i-MiEV a thousand dollars cheaper. That really should be standard anyways.
That's fine, but $1k ain't gonna cut it. There's way more perceived difference in value than that. Now that we've settled the "i-MiEVs have air-cooled batteries" matter (they don't), the LEAF doesn't really have meaningful shortfalls when compared to the i-MiEV, and offers a far more upmarket passenger experience. I'm glad I really wanted CHAdeMO on my car, because it kicked the price difference at the time I ordered the car to a cool $7k (at the time Nissan only offered QC on the pricey SL trim level, while I got it as a $700 option on my base model ES). I couldn't argue that the LEAF wasn't "nicer" - my point was that it wasn't nearly seven thousand dollars nicer.

But only a thousand? No, even people who actually prefer the i-MiEV (as I did) may have trouble justifying that to a significant other. I don't think limiting the market to eccentric singles is the way to go. They're going to need a clear price advantage.

As to making CHAdeMO standard, at this point, I'd agree, though I realize there are a lot of EV-purist types deeply committed to "always charge at home" who resent having to pay for a QC battery-baker that they shun for religious reasons. I get it. But I'm also a fervent SAE-CCS hater, and sincerely think Nissan and Mitsu should force as many CHAdeMO cars on to the market as possible to underscore the absurdity of the Euro-American CCS farce.

PV1 said:
seriously, an AUX-in jack should be standard, especially since the radio already has it. Maybe a $2 cord from Radioshack? It can't be much more than that.

Yeah, it absolutely should be standard in any 2010+ automobile. But they've told the dealers not to install them, justifying it with some "CAN bus interference" malarkey that makes absolutely zero sense, especially since they have no problem hooking up the USB port. So please Mitsubishi, knock off the nonsense and let us play our Rhapsody tunes through your head unit. Sheesh.

Well, though it's not terribly exciting to see the iMiev for 2014 with one fewer color, no blue color, nor the couple "upgrades" we saw for the 2013 iMiev in Canada (12 amp 120v EVSE + better heated seats for driver and front passenger), it's much more exciting than seeing nothing. And, at this stage, maybe they're still working on details ... I noticed they don't even have multiple trims to choose from (though, perhaps that's intentional). More to come, for sure!

danpatgal said:
Well, though it's not terribly exciting to see the iMiev for 2014 with one fewer color, no blue color, nor the couple "upgrades" we saw for the 2013 iMiev in Canada (12 amp 120v EVSE + better heated seats for driver and front passenger), it's much more exciting than seeing nothing. And, at this stage, maybe they're still working on details ... I noticed they don't even have multiple trims to choose from (though, perhaps that's intentional). More to come, for sure!
Hey, wait a minute! Why wouldn't we get the heated seats and 12A EVSE? Just because the web site doesn't list those features doesn't mean we're not getting them. I'm sure a lot of that info won't be fully up to date until we get closer to launch date.

Still, it's probably significant that we don't see trim levels listed. If you look closely at the features, it appears the intent is that all i-MiEVs will effectively be SEs. I sure as hell hope that doesn't mean the only way to get QC will be with the Premium package, especially if that package is priced >$2k as it was before. That would be a real niche-shrinker.

Back