Greetings From Norway

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telemark

Hello Forum from Norway.
Long time owner of 2011 iMiEV, with about 120000 KM on the clock. I now have a few issues, so thought I would see if I could get some pointers. Ive posted the question already, should have introduced myself first...Sorry.

Andy

@telemark Andy, welcome to the forum.

Hopefully someone can respond to your ABS/ASC query.

it's always fun to know where in the world someone is located, as we occasionally find other i-MiEV owners close to us. You might consider updating your profile (which will show your location by your username whenever you post), as in the future people might not remember your introductory post. The procedure described here:
https://myimiev.com/threads/admin-how-to-let-us-know-where-you-are-located.5446/

Hei Andy,
I spent 5 years in Stavanger and Oslo as a kid, and last visited in 2022 for EVS35. I was disappointed to see when visiting with EVServices.no and talking to Norsk elbilforening members to learn that taking care of older EVs is not very popular, especially with 'early modern EVs' like the iMiEV and ZEO Leaf. The Think, Budd-e and Kewit have a few caretakers, but it seems that our cars are more viewed as disposable.
Is that what you mainly see in Norway?

Hello Forum from Norway.
Long time owner of 2011 iMiEV, with about 120000 KM on the clock. I now have a few issues, so thought I would see if I could get some pointers. Ive posted the question already, should have introduced myself first...Sorry.

Andy
Hei Andy, 120000 km is remarkable.
I live in Nordland, also quit new here. I have a 2011 peugeot ion.
Where did you post the question?
Henri

Hei Andy,
I spent 5 years in Stavanger and Oslo as a kid, and last visited in 2022 for EVS35. I was disappointed to see when visiting with EVServices.no and talking to Norsk elbilforening members to learn that taking care of older EVs is not very popular, especially with 'early modern EVs' like the iMiEV and ZEO Leaf. The Think, Budd-e and Kewit have a few caretakers, but it seems that our cars are more viewed as disposable.

Mine is definitely disposable, it’s worth almost nothing. I don’t get it serviced, I fix simple stuff like brakes and disks myself. I’ve had two recalls to fix known problems. Other than that I’ve had the fluids changed at an independent garage, besides the latest ABS fault which cost me 6000 NOK. If the price was closer to 10000 to 12000 I would have scrapped the car.

Hei Andy,
Regards from Stavanger :)
Not sure if that will answer the question, but this is how I see the situation, observing and talking to various owners of EVs from 10+ ago.
Few factors behind that:
1. older EV have limited range, in some cases we are talking about 50-60km summer time (so rather short period...). Assuming 1/2 during winter - you have the car which potentially cannot serve you to the work and back without extra charging between. Leafs, Zoe, i-Miev from early production, Smart, MB B-class, etc. That means - nobody want to buy such car, prices are really on the floor.
2. Due to low prices, as well as relatively high labour cost in Norway - any potentially minor service can cost more than current value of the car. This is the moment the car lands in scrap yard.
3. There is no way to avoid point two, as Norway keeps quite detailed and restrictive the mandatory technical inspection. You cannot renew it, if you do not fix stuff. And you can find out it is not worth to fix it, having car which is on the edge of usability (short range).
4. As there is really big selection of EVs in Norway, from all price ranges, also used. People rather buy more modern one, with bigger range, than loose the money on fixing old one. Jumping from older up 100km range cars to 250-300km is typical move.
This issue is probably visible in Norway more than in other countries, due to amount of EVs sold and in use here.
You can think from other dimension about this topic - taxi copros purchase number of Chinese new EVs, and now they are waiting few mounts for some simple parts, that's a waste of money really...

But it should be stated as well - there is plenty of older EVs still in use, you can see them on streets. People using them as long as they can. I can still see few red-white I-Miev's from really first years on the road. At my office there is a Smart for 2, with range maybe 40km. 3rd owner already, still in use summer period. Just a toy, I would say - as a bike - but bike you can use all year long ;-)

Tusen Takk @BrunoJ ! Stavanger sure has changed. I had a very expensive rekker (shrimp) sandwich in the fisketorget where as a kid all we could get was a bag of shrimp boiled in seawater, and they would cut the head cut off your salmon if you asked nicely! ;) I do sometimes question why I put hours of effort into maintaining these older cars, especially while a Model S worth of my stock valuation has evaporated due to Elon's antics! But then again, I guarantee that my Baja MiEV will get more questions at the next car show than a freshly-wrapped Model X.

Actually there is one more point about updating cars into new(er) ones. There is 5 year warranty in Norway. That makes a difference. Buying 3-4y old car you still can benefit from that. Also most of insurance companies giving full insurance on engine/battery, up to certain age. So - it is all about the money. And 25% of new EV sold in Norway last year - Tesla Y. Anyway - should be another discussion in that matter. Now let's back to our i-Miev(s).

Back