Miev with C-zero parts

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dl3a83

Hello!
I have a 2012 Mieve with a bad battery, I have a broken C-zero-m with low mileage 2015.
I would like to make the following modification (has anyone done this before?):
I would remove the 2012 Miev's electric motor and OBC unit, air conditioning compressor and battery pack. I would replace the removed parts with parts from the 2015 C-zero (Battery pack would be 88 cells instead of 80, with new type LEV50N cells.) Gearbox would remain for D-B-C gears.
I know it is a big job.

Hello!
I have a 2012 Mieve with a bad battery, I have a broken C-zero-m with low mileage 2015.
I would like to make the following modification (has anyone done this before?):
I would remove the 2012 Miev's electric motor and OBC unit, air conditioning compressor and battery pack. I would replace the removed parts with parts from the 2015 C-zero (Battery pack would be 88 cells instead of 80, with new type LEV50N cells.) Gearbox would remain for D-B-C gears.
I know it is a big job.
Maybe I misunderstood but a 2015 C-Zero has 80 LEV50N cells therefore you need to find 8 more to make up a complete I-MIEV pack…

[edit] I found your earlier posts, you’re aware of what’s required battery wise so why not just swap it without bothering changing the rest? Keep your 2015 OBC & AC compressor as a spare but only replace it on fail.
The MCU seems to be VIN coded..

Last edited:
The OBC unit of the 2012 Miev is faulty and cannot be fixed, I forgot to write that down. Might start with just battery pack and OBC replacement, just wondering what would happen if....
I know it has less cells, I need to find 8 missing ones.
I need to finish repairing the faulty C-zero on the cell first, then Miev.

Last edited:
Hi dl3a83,

Where are you located?

With a bit of luck, we are close enough to play together.

Doing such swaps is easy for me. I usually deals with trains, when a swap involve heavy equipment (weight related).

All the best!

I think you will have to reprogram/reset the MCU (main controller unit), there might be some diffeernces between Mitsu/Citroen/Peugeot... You will need some special electronic devices/programs to do that. Otherwise it will not function. I believe Mitsubishi has modified some parts/settings, whereas Citroen and peugeot remained in an older status... If somebody knows exactly, please post here.

Szia dl3a83!

Hol élsz?

Egy kis szerencsével elég közel vagyunk ahhoz, hogy együtt játsszunk.

Az ilyen cseréket könnyű végrehajtani. Általában vonatokkal foglalkozom, amikor a csere nehéz (tömeggel kapcsolatos) felszerelést érint.

Minden jót!
Hungary

Last edited:
History:
2011 Miev 88 cell battery pack is bad and I bought a 2015 C-zero which is broken but has a good battery pack.
Yesterday I replaced the battery pack and the unit under the seat.
The car recognises the 80 cells underneath, but I have two errors.
My on board charger is still bad, it has not been repaired yet.
The two faults:
p1a2d p1a48
The battery cooling fan is not working.

History:
2011 Miev 88 cell battery pack is bad and I bought a 2015 C-zero which is broken but has a good battery pack.
Yesterday I replaced the battery pack and the unit under the seat.
The car recognises the 80 cells underneath, but I have two errors.
My on board charger is still bad, it has not been repaired yet.
The two faults:
p1a2d p1a48
The battery cooling fan is not working.
First of all great news, it seems like it’s possible to change from an 88 cell to a 80 cell setup by just swapping the BMU.

Did you forget to connect the fan after changing the pack? If it’s connected properly, put in the original BMU and see if get the same error (and a lot of others). If not then the connections on the new BMU are different.

I looked at the BMU wiring, the Miven has one more wire than the C-zone. :(
I checked all the wires, they are all connected. I put the old BMU in and the fan keeps humming, it finds a lot of faults because it is missing 2 CMU panels.
I checked the BMU, put the broken car on the charger to check all the parameters.

For other folks following along here are the DTCs.

P1A2D - Battery cooling fan abnormality (BMU)

This is a supervisory-level EV-ECU DTC that merely indicates that the BMU has thrown a code.
  • When the diagnosis code No. P1AC1, No. P1A47 or No. P1A48 is set to the BMU, the diagnosis code No. P1A2D will be set.

This is the one to solve:
P1A48 - Output circuit of main battery cooling fan relay abnormal
  • The PWM output signal of the main battery cooling fan is 100 % (while the fan is stopped) and the PWM output signal status of the main battery cooling fan is High (during the rotation).
Probable Causes:
  • The main battery cooling fan is failed.
  • Short circuits to power supply system of main battery cooling fan circuit; poor contact of connector.
  • The BMU is failed.

Last edited:
For other folks following along here are the DTCs.

P1A2D - Battery cooling fan abnormality (BMU)

This is a supervisory-level EV-ECU DTC that merely indicates that the BMU has thrown a code.
  • When the diagnosis code No. P1AC1, No. P1A47 or No. P1A48 is set to the BMU, the diagnosis code No. P1A2D will be set.

P1A48 - Output circuit of main battery cooling fan relay abnormal
  • The PWM output signal of the main battery cooling fan is 100 % (while the fan is stopped) and the PWM output signal status of the main battery cooling fan is High (during the rotation).
Probable Causes:
  • The main battery cooling fan is failed.
  • Short circuits to power supply system of main battery cooling fan circuit; poor contact of connector.
  • The BMU is failed.
Thanks for this, I wonder, if in this particular case, it might be sufficient to use ignition 12V to activate the fan relay manually?

I have replaced the BMU with the newer version at the suggestion of Gary12345, and will wait for Gary12345's reply.
When I replaced the BMU and looked at it with canion I was happy that the car only recognized 80 cells.
Unfortunately after starting it came the yellow car sign on the dash.
It would be nice to somehow fix it to make the car work because I really like it.

I have replaced the BMU with the newer version at the suggestion of Gary12345, and will wait for Gary12345's reply.
When I replaced the BMU and looked at it with canion I was happy that the car only recognized 80 cells.
Unfortunately after starting it came the yellow car sign on the dash.
It would be nice to somehow fix it to make the car work because I really like it.
What additional DCTs did you get when the ‘yellow car sign’ appeared? Did you fix the fan problem?

p1a2d p1a48 error remains constant, cannot be cleared.
The fan works, all connectors are in place, plugged in. If I put the "old/88 cell" bmu on, the fan works at high speed, but then CMU modules 6 and 12 are missing.
Where do I enter the VIN number?

There would have been a new DTC for a VIN error, so my guess was not correct.

The VIN is stored in at least 3 places from what i have read: ETACS and EV-ECU, and the MCU

Back