2016 i-miev standard charging not working

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pankajb

Ok so I was working on replacing the radio and I must have shorted something. not the OBC does not work. I am going to try dc charging at station soon.
1. car is running fine (until i have miles remaining i guess)
2. OBC does not work
3. Other symptom: every time i start car to Ready, i see that all my dashboard setting are being Reset like odometer setting comes back to total miles than miles remaining, or A/C is tuned on.
4. there are no fault lights.

what should i start with before trying to check the 20v fuse inside MCU?

Thanks

Pankaj

if the 12v battery is completely discharged, will that stop OBC from working? I am suspecting that is cause of dashboard being reset. also I never changed the 12v battery in 9 years.

Last edited:
if the 12v battery is completely discharged, will that stop OBC from working? I am suspecting that is cause of dashboard being reset. also I never changed the 12v battery in 9 years.
Yes, a faulty/weak 12V aux can cause all sort of strange problems and I highly recommend to replace it altogether.
Make sure you fully charge it overnight before you install it as even a new one could have been ‘left on a shelf’ for months.

Last edited:
is it as straight forward as changing regular car battery? the autozone website saying only professional need to do there is high voltage load.

is it as straight forward as changing regular car battery? the autozone website saying only professional need to do there is high voltage load.
Autozone (like just about every ICEV-based organisation) have not the faintest idea what they are talking about when it comes to EVs. Yes, it is an identical procedure to changing an ICEV 12V aux battery.

If you put the key to accessory position, e.g. one click so the dash lights up but the car doesnt go to ready, then plug the AC cable in, does it charge?

You may have blown a 12v fuse with the work on the radio - there are shared 12v supplies and some ECUs have 2 supplies, one which just keeps it awake enough to sense the charging cable being connected and another 12v supply which fully wakes it up for the car to start. Easiest way to confirm is to go through the fuses one by one.

Cheers.

fuse 25 and 26 is fine .. battery shows 13v but I am just going to take chance and replace it. it is 9 yr old battery

what should i start with before trying to check the 20v fuse inside MCU?
Does the car start to READY? If so then use a voltmeter to measure at the 12V battery terminals: if it reads 14VDC then the fuse in the MCU is okay; if it only reads 12V then the fuse is blown and likely the snubber caps on the power board in the OBC are also blown.

Back