Help Please With 2009 i-MiEV: P1A33, P1A30, P1A39, P1A76 & P1A52

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of videos on the utubes of guys doing surface mount soldering for instrument clusters, speedometers, car electronics, etc. Search for them, find one close to your area, then send a note and ask. they know how to solder and would likely be glad to help make the repair.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for replacing the surface-mount LTC IC on my i-MiEV's BMS PCB?
Yes, check the SMD fuses first, as per this post.

Edit: You could also do some easy sanity checks on the LTC chip:

1721873103151.jpeg

You will need to power up the board for the voltage test, obviously. But checking for around 10kΩ in the two places indicated will often tell you if the chip is melted or not. V+ at the bottom comes from power on the connector, via an isolating DC-DC if I remember correctly. Dang, that's with respect to an earth I haven't marked above; sorry for the lack of info. I have notes somewhere that I can dig up if you are interested.

Sn are the sense pins, Cn are the cell voltage pins. C8-12 are not used.

Last edited:
- try a PC/laptop repair store, they usually have the necessary tools required.
- get yourself a hot air solder station and DIY (might want to practice a bit beforehand)
Thanks. If t were a 'regular' BMS PCB I'd give it a go but having watched a few youtube vids and given it s an odd 'pre-production' PCB that'll be very difficult to replace, I think I'll leave it to a pro...

Yes, check the SMD fuses first, as per this post.

Edit: You could also do some easy sanity checks on the LTC chip:
Thanks but I didn't make myself clear - I'm looking for a recommended alternative to the PhoneReco repair business I used the last time I needed a new LTC chip replaced... Given that the symptoms are identical, I don't doubt that the LTC chip is defective... Your suggestions are a *wee* bit beyond my skill set, anyway... "power up the board'... How?!
The 10k measurements... looking for 10k going from where to where (with the PCB powered up or not/doesn't matter)?
Actually, I *am* interested but, like I say, I think you are assuming I have knowledge that I don't have (yet)!

Given that the symptoms are identical, I don't doubt that the LTC chip is defective...
Oh, OK.

"power up the board'... How?!
I don't even remember how I did it on the bench. My notes, when I find them, will tell me 😳. But you could put 12 V power on the main battery shell; I'll agree that's not ideal. From memory, the CMUs draw some or all of their power from the auxiliary (12 V) battery.

The 10k measurements... looking for 10k going from where to where (with the PCB powered up or not/doesn't matter)?
Resistance measurements are always when powered down. Where to where is indicated by the thin read lines. Those pad locations were hard won after weeks of research.

But you could put 12 V power on the main battery shell; I'll agree that's not ideal. From memory, the CMUs draw some or all of their power from the auxiliary (12 V) battery
Yes, as soon as you apply 12V aux to a CMU, it starts transmitting cell voltage/temperature, this CAN data stream can (easily) be read/checked with an Arduino or similar.

Important: you need to have all cells connected to a CMU board before you apply 12V (SMD fuses may blow otherwise)

For a pinout see schematics in thread below:
https://myimiev.com/threads/cmu-board-notes-eprom-cell-re-numbering-can-messages.4302/

Last edited:
Back