Car not going into ready mode

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today my Peugeot Ion started normally. I drove to Aldi and parked. When I came out of the shop I tried to start the car.
The dashboard lights lit up, but when I moved the key to the start position, the car didn't go into ready mode.

I have checked the 12 volt battery and it has normal voltage.

I didn't bring my code reader with me.

I only recently bought the car, so I am not familiar with the starting procedure. I have just been pressing the brake pedal, turning the key to the accessory position, and then turning the key further to the start position.
Is there anything else I need to be aware of to get the car to go into ready mode?

Hi
Not sure about the Peugeot but on my (2011 built) I-MIEV there is no need to push the brake pedal for the car to go READY.

One thing to check is that the gear indicator on the dash shows “P” and stays that way.

What is normal 12V Aux for you?

Any other indicators on the dash light up when you try to start?

Mickey

Thanks for your response.

The gear indicator on the dash does say P for park.

There is a dashboard light on which is a yellow car with an exclamation mark. That looks ominous.

Apart from that there are lights on for brake, battery and seatbelt.

I have called a recovery vehicle and I just wanted to check if I had misunderstood the starting procedure.

I didn't bring my code reader with me, so I will check for codes when I get home.

Maybe someone has jumper cables and can try to give you a jump to start?
A recovery service man checked the battery. He said it is okay. He did also try jumper cables, but that had no effect.

I am now waiting for a flatbed recovery vehicle.

On the instrument display I see a yellow car with an exclamation mark, which looks ominous. Any idea what that indicates?

On the instrument display I see a yellow car with an exclamation mark, which looks ominous. Any idea what that indicates?
It’s the High voltage warning light, you need your OBD reader to get the DTC code(s) for further information.

The triplets are a bit selective when it comes to OBD devices, unless you have already tried and tested your reader, it may be tricky to get the fault codes.

It’s the High voltage warning light, you need your OBD reader to get the DTC code(s) for further information.

The triplets are a bit selective when it comes to OBD devices, unless you have already tried and tested your reader, it may be tricky to get the fault codes.
Thanks for the information; sounds terminal. I am interested in a battery upgrade, so I was looking for a car with good bodywork and a faded battery.

I bought an OBDC reader called OBDLink which was recommended for the iMiev, but I have not tried it out yet.

Thanks for the information; sounds terminal.
Early days..
I am interested in a battery upgrade, so I was looking for a car with good bodywork and a faded battery.
Might just be the battery calibration that’s out of whack after standing idly for so long
I bought an OBDC reader called OBDLink which was recommended for the iMiev, but I have not tried it out yet.
Smart choice, see great video series by @Rational using an OBDLink LX with various ‘triplet approved’ apps (post #9):

https://myimiev.com/threads/smartphone-tablet-apps-for-i-miev-c-zero-and-ion.4936/

Today I tried the OBDLINK LX reader which I bought directly from their website.
Unfortunately, the reader will not pair with the OBDLINK android app.
I have followed the sequence set up in the app. The app tries to pair, but then says connection failed. ☹️
I can see that the power light is on, so the dongle is getting power from the car.
Any ideas? 🤔

Today I tried the OBDLINK LX reader which I bought directly from their website.
Unfortunately, the reader will not pair with the OBDLINK android app.
I have followed the sequence set up in the app. The app tries to pair, but then says connection failed. ☹️
I can see that the power light is on, so the dongle is getting power from the car.
Any ideas? 🤔
Their stock app doesn’t seem to be working with a triplet, you’ll need Car Scanner or Hobdrive to read/clear DTCs, check out the videos in link (post 8)

I expect you have tried several times to move the key to ON.
Then paused.
Then moved the key to START, holding there until the car "bongs" ?
I have tried that many times and still no bong.
There is a dashboard warning light on which is a yellow car with an exclamation mark.
That warning light wasn't on before, when the car was going into ready mode.

Their stock app doesn’t seem to be working with a triplet, you’ll need Car Scanner or Hobdrive to read/clear DTCs, check out the videos in link (post 8)
Thanks for that information, Mickey.

I managed to get the OBDLINK app to pair with the OBDLINK LX reader but it reports that it cannot connect to the car. So, as you say, their stock app doesn't seem to be working with a triplet.

I downloaded the Hobdrive app, which is able to connect to the car and read some information, including the voltage of each cell in the battery pack. Unfortunately, when I go to the diagnostic screen, it just gets stuck and doesn't read the fault codes. ☹️

I managed to get the OBDLINK app to pair with the OBDLINK LX reader but it reports that it cannot connect to the car. So, as you say, their stock app doesn't seem to be working with a triplet.
Thanks for confirming
I downloaded the Hobdrive app, which is able to connect to the car and read some information, including the voltage of each cell in the battery pack.
Did you follow the instructions on the video? How many cells does the app report?
Unfortunately, when I go to the diagnostic screen, it just gets stuck and doesn't read the fault codes. ☹️
I think you need the paid version for full functionality, same applies to the Car Scanner app which has been reported to be easier to use btw.

Having recently gone through all this (OBDLink LX and Hobdrive on an old Android tablet), the Hobdrive you first download is a trial version which just has generic data on the various screens. As MickeyS70 says, you must pay for the full app to get anything useful out of Hobdrive.

On my tablet, I had to disable wifi before bluetooth will connect to the OBDLink dongle and - once the dongle is BT-paired to the tablet, you may have to select it from the settings screen of Hobdrive.

The Hobdrive app shows 88 cells at 4.06 volts. Does that indicate that the cells are fully charged?

Today I bought the paid version of Hobdrive which read the DTC codes:
P1A15 High voltage system error;
B1105 ELC compressor (communication).

After clearing the DTC codes, the warning light showing a yellow car with an exclamation mark turns off. However, it then lights up again after turning the key to the start position.

So the car has the dreaded P1A15 😱

Having recently gone through all this (OBDLink LX and Hobdrive on an old Android tablet), the Hobdrive you first download is a trial version which just has generic data on the various screens. As MickeyS70 says, you must pay for the full app to get anything useful out of Hobdrive.

On my tablet, I had to disable wifi before bluetooth will connect to the OBDLink dongle and - once the dongle is BT-paired to the tablet, you may have to select it from the settings screen of Hobdrive.
Thanks Martin, I watched a YouTube video showing how to get OBDLINK to connect to an iMiEV.
I noticed that, as you say, it's necessary to tell the app to use Bluetooth.
There are also a few screens where one can select Mitsubishi iMiEV, the year of manufacture, and the lithium ion version of the BMS.
I found that I had to repeat the setup in the paid version.

Hobdrive does read cell level battery information, which is encouraging.

The Hobdrive app shows 88 cells at 4.06 volts. Does that indicate that the cells are fully charged?
Yes, almost; charging stops once one cell reaches around 4.1V
After clearing the DTC codes, the warning light showing a yellow car with an exclamation mark turns off. However, it then lights up again after turning the key to the start position.
Yes, that’s to be expected if you have a permanent fault
So the car has the dreaded P1A15 😱
I’m afraid so, but that’s something that can be fixed a lot easier than a HV battery fault.

Hi - how can the P1A15 be fixed easily? I have the same recurring icon - yellow car ! - except mine allows me to drive normally even when lit. It seems to be related to a shifting sensor because I can avoid the icons appearance by shifting into quickly into gear after the bong...
Reed

Back