Should I check my battery before the warranty expires?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Joker

Hi all

I realized we only have about 2 months left on our warranty, and I started thinking about the battery's condition....it seems to be fine, but I’m wondering if it would be worth getting it checked just to be on the safe side. My car has 38,000 miles on it, and I recently drove 50 miles even when the display showed about 5 miles remaining. Given the mileage and the distance I managed to drive, I can’t help but think the battery must still be in decent shape....But I really don’t want to be the first one to discover how much a battery pack replacement costs!

Do you think it’s a good idea to have the battery inspected before the warranty runs out? Any advice would be appreciated

Hi all

I realized we only have about 2 months left on our warranty, and I started thinking about the battery's condition....it seems to be fine, but I’m wondering if it would be worth getting it checked just to be on the safe side. My car has 38,000 miles on it, and I recently drove 50 miles even when the display showed about 5 miles remaining. Given the mileage and the distance I managed to drive, I can’t help but think the battery must still be in decent shape....But I really don’t want to be the first one to discover how much a battery pack replacement costs!

Do you think it’s a good idea to have the battery inspected before the warranty runs out? Any advice would be appreciated
The warranty only covers a faulty battery (no longer charging to 16 bars), degradation, no matter how bad, doesn’t warrant any action by the dealer, unfortunately.

The warranty only covers a faulty battery (no longer charging to 16 bars), degradation, no matter how bad, doesn’t warrant any action by the dealer, unfortunately.
Thanks. I get that the warranty only covers faulty batteries, but I’m still thinking an inspection could help catch any potential issues before it’s too late, just want to be cautious...

Hi all

Not sure what year your car is, but I bought a 2012 iMiev 2 years ago that had a new battery installed before I bought it UNDER WARRANTY. Now I have ERROR CODES and Mitsubishi says my main battery needs replaced at $13,000 even though they supposedly have an 8 year life. They tell me the warranty ONLY APPLIES TO THE ORIGINAL BATTERY!!!

I will NEVER BUY another Mitsubishi or electric car again if that’s how it works!!!

Not sure what year your car is, but I bought a 2012 iMiev 2 years ago that had a new battery installed before I bought it UNDER WARRANTY. Now I have ERROR CODES and Mitsubishi says my main battery needs replaced at $13,000 even though they supposedly have an 8 year life.
Based on the limited information provided, it has been suggested that very likely the issue was misdiagnosed by the dealer and there is nothing wrong with the HV pack, but rather than heeding the advice you keep repeating the same story over and over?
They tell me the warranty ONLY APPLIES TO THE ORIGINAL BATTERY!!!

I will NEVER BUY another Mitsubishi or electric car again if that’s how it works!!!
Yes, that’s the way it works unfortunately, in general parts replaced during warranty (on any product) are only guaranteed for the duration of the original period, unless the T&Cs show otherwise.

Based on the limited information provided, it has been suggested that very likely the issue was misdiagnosed by the dealer and there is nothing wrong with the HV pack, but rather than heeding the advice you keep repeating the same story over and over?

Yes, that’s the way it works unfortunately, in general parts replaced during warranty (on any product) are only guaranteed for the duration of the original period, unless the T&Cs show otherwise.
Yes, I have repeated, and YES I believe it was mis-diagnosed. So, WHAT advice am I “not heeding”? I have TWO choices, each Mitsubishi dealerships, who can/will work on an EV…one north 1 1/2 hours (whom I went to), and one 2 hours the other direction. I am NOT a mechanic, an electric car geek, or interested in throwing money down a hole ($13k for a $6k car) to keep this thing running.

Ready to part with it at a HUGE discount.

@D_Joker
No, do not ever check battery if its a 2013 and upwards car(LEV50N). Before i picked up the car i use at the moment i knew that if i get a LEV50N based battery i wont go at any time to a OEM service. By not doing a single official service but doing everything on my own i broke the ToS of the warranty and the warranty expired years before it would officially expire.

From other point of view: If you somehow successfully get a new battery at the end of warranty, what do you think would happen at the dealership with the old battery? Would someone there reverse engineer the BMU firmware, test every single of the 80/88 cells and give the working cells for cheap to other people who could use those cells to fix their cars? And then afterwards put for example NMC cells that can be configured perfectly with the new open source BMU firmware that its been developed?
No. It would just get completely destroyed.
So simply no. Do not ever use in year 2024 any warranty. I cant think of any 2012 and older car that would have in year 2024 warranty.

Maybe if some official dealer sell a 2012 or older car used with 1 year warranty that cover the battery then yes, check if you have LEV50 instead of LEV50N cells and then you can go for the warranty.

@colonellh
Then fix those errors on your own. There is a reason why people create this forum and report how things can be fixed. Contribute to this forum by reporting every single step in how you fixed every single error. The chips in these cars have just 1Megabyte of memory. If you compare this with modern cars, this is huge benefit in being able to fix those cars.

Back