What’s the best OBD Dongle for my i-MiEV and Android phone?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemo12

Last year, I bought an OBD dongle hoping it would work with my Android phone, but unfortunately, it didn’t. I remembered someone in the i-MiEV, iOn, or C-Zero community had found the correct dongle that works with Canion, but I couldn’t recall the details. It’s been frustrating, and I’m still searching for a reliable one.

Last year, I bought an OBD dongle hoping it would work with my Android phone, but unfortunately, it didn’t. I remembered someone in the i-MiEV, iOn, or C-Zero community had found the correct dongle that works with Canion, but I couldn’t recall the details. It’s been frustrating, and I’m still searching for a reliable one.
OBDLink LX Bluetooth dongle for Android, not cheap (beware of ‘low cost’ clones) but ‘does what it says on the tin’ and is proven to work reliably with every app known to support a triplet.

OBDLink LX Bluetooth dongle for Android, not cheap (beware of ‘low cost’ clones) but ‘does what it says on the tin’ and is proven to work reliably with every app known to support a triplet.
Thanks. I’ve heard good things about the OBDLink LX Bluetooth dongle...I’ll definitely consider getting one to avoid the low-cost clones. If it works well, it’ll be worth the investment

I just spent the last hour testing different dongles on the three apps I have for the i-MiEV; Canion, OBDZero, and Car Scanner. I do not have Hobdrive loaded and really don't want to pay for it as I have three apps that work and also have current possession of a bidirectional Autel Maxicom MK906BT scan tool as well. (It belongs to a friend.) Also, I think if I add one more app to the old and slow Nexus 7 tablet I have it will explode. I am an Apple user and really don't want to buy another Android device in the near term if I can help it.

My Results: The Vlinker MC only works with Canion and OBDZero. It shows connected to Car Scanner but will not produce results when I scan for codes or control unit information. Just a spinning progress wheel.

I also have a OBDLink MX (no +) and I was able to connect to all three apps today which has never happened. I have no idea why it worked perfectly today on Canion since I tried it until I was blue in the face about ten days ago which led me to buy the VLinker MC (no +). Again, my tablet is made of stone it is so old. I bought it November, 2013.

Jim

My Results: The Vlinker MC only works with Canion and OBDZero. It shows connected to Car Scanner but will not produce results when I scan for codes or control unit information. Just a spinning progress wheel.
Hi Jim

Thanks for taking the time and putting the VLinker MC to the test; pity it doesn’t work with Car Scanner as it’s one of the easier apps to read/clear DTCs.

However there is a good chance it will also connect via HobDrive as the app has been reported to work even with basic ELM327 OBD dongles.

Mickey

Back