battery replacement in USA

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rearly

i got this reply from Jeff in California

Hi Reed

Yes we are in California
The cost of battery upgrade is $11,500, if there is a group buy of 3 or more imiev the price can come down a little

CALMAX
[email protected]

On Wed, Dec 20, 2023 at 8:36 PM Reed Early <[email protected]> wrote:
I would be willing to pay up to $10,000 for an upgraded battery for my Misubishi iMiev 2012 model. Are you able to provide them in California?
sincerely

Thanks for checking! That's awfully tempting, pricewise -- I couldn't do that in the next few months, but perhaps later this year or next.

As you might or might not know, after happily driving our MiEV for 9 years and 45,000 miles we sold it and got a Chevy Bolt. What does this have to do with MiEV battery replacement costs?
Well my point its that if an MiEV battery replacement is going to cost $11,000 IMO it's worth looking around to what sort of used decent EV you can put that $11K toward. A friend of mine recently purchased a used Ford Focus EV (think it was about 5 years old) for $6000. I rode in it... very very good condition... useful range about 50 miles still. I just saw one for about $5K. And it seems a higher class of EV than my Mitsu in terms of features. Occasionally (admittedly rarely) I've seen a used Bolt come up in the less than $20K range. And that's as you know in the 200+ mile range. So, as in the post I'm replying too, seems it would be very hard to justify buying a $11K battery for an MiEV. Even $5K should IMO require some careful thinking about what else one could do with $5k. For example... sell the MiEV for $2K and have $7K toward something better?
Remember, there are many EV owners who got their EVs on three year leases and those who purchased in 2000 and turned them back in are starting to come on market used....

This topic is the "rest of the story" when it comes to EVs .. limited range, constant charging anxiety, then batteries die presenting one with a huge dilemma. Sell the vehicle for peanuts, or lay out the cost of a good used IC car to get a replacement. And what is it about these batteries that makes them so expensive? For 10,000 you can buy 100 lead acid batteries.

..... in the less than $20K range. And that's as you know in the 200+ mile range. So, as in the post I'm replying too, seems it would be very hard to justify buying a $11K battery for an MiEV. Even $5K should IMO require some careful thinking about what else one could do with $5k. For example... sell the MiEV for $2K and have $7K toward something better?
Remember, there are many EV owners who got their EVs on three year leases and those who purchased in 2000 and turned them back in are starting to come on market used....
Replying to my own post just to add that I've seen in the Chevy Bolt forum and other places credible reports of some of the Bolts that GM purchased back now appearing on the market for as little as $10,000.. Some with brand new batteries. You'd have to do some research to find them (the Bolt forum might be a place to start (chevybolt.org), but IMO some of those are extremely good deals... and a serious alternative to replacing an MiEV battery.

Replying to my own post just to add that I've seen in the Chevy Bolt forum and other places credible reports of some of the Bolts that GM purchased back now appearing on the market for as little as $10,000.. Some with brand new batteries. You'd have to do some research to find them (the Bolt forum might be a place to start (chevybolt.org), but IMO some of those are extremely good deals... and a serious alternative to replacing an MiEV battery.
I agree. We have a Bolt and an I-MiEV and the only thing I like better about the I-MiEV is that it’s narrower, so you can park it in smaller spaces (like crowded trailheads). The Bolt surpasses the I-MiEV by far in every other category, it replaced our ICE.
Remember there is a federal tax credit on used EVs that gives up to $4000 USD if you meet all the qualifications.

I'll add another factor which needs to be considered - RUST

Imievs (USA or EU spec) were built on a JDM assembly line and they didn't get the level of rust protection regarded as normal. A lot of the critical rust is hidden by the battery back and therefore only seen once that's removed

In a lot of cases there's not much point in replacing a battery pack on a car which is almost at the end of its frame life

This topic is the "rest of the story" when it comes to EVs .. limited range, constant charging anxiety, then batteries die presenting one with a huge dilemma. Sell the vehicle for peanuts, or lay out the cost of a good used IC car to get a replacement. And what is it about these batteries that makes them so expensive? For 10,000 you can buy 100 lead acid batteries.
Lead Acid batteries? Have you seen the old cell phones that used lead acid batteries? That’s enough to know it’s not an option for cars.
Are there smartphones with lead-acid batteries? - Quora
Are there smartphones with lead-acid batteries? - Quora

That's my point. This battery technology is relatively (outrageously) expensive. Considering their life, it makes the EV concept just that: a concept.

The batteries themselves cost more than that!
Actually my I-miev had 16 kWh battery and supposedly went 100km new. Now they are doubling that range with new pack. So must be 30 kWh pack. At $140/kWh at current prices for EV pack it would only be $4200, so they are more than doubling price to make a decent profit.

Last edited:
Hi Folks; May I direct your attention to another thread related to this one. "I-Miev Battery Upgrade". Some of us are trying to find a way to get OZ (AU) to ship some upgrade packs, software and install instruction to the U.S.
Thanks,
Marty
Portland, OR

Back