A Week without the MiEV

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PV1

...is something I hope doesn't happen again for a long time.

I had a temporary work schedule change, requiring a 112 mile round trip commute. Since it's all highway at 65 mph with necessary AC for the ride home, the I couldn't do it (no destination L2). So, I've been driving the company-owned Ford Focus, leaving the i at home, all alone. While it's not a bad car, it's no EV. I forgot how long it takes to get gas :lol: . It almost would've been 2 weeks, but they decided I don't need to be there every day, allowing for me to drive the MiEV again, :p :mrgreen: .

Even at 31 mpg and still climbing, it cost $40 last week to drive the Focus, a little less than it cost to drive the i 2,200 miles.

I left our i-MiEV behind in Honolulu 4 days ago and drove our other car, a 2000 Honda Insight, today for the first time since I put it up on blocks for the Swedish winter on 15 November. Even though the Insight is an amazing car, it felt really dated and old compared with our i-MiEV. The whole ICE-manual transmission thing seems really crude compared with an electric motor and no transmission to shift.

I've also grown accustomed to the higher, more upright seating position of the i-MiEV. I'm semi-reclining when a sit in my Insight after having dropped down through the door to the seat cushion. These old bones now prefer the i-MiEV's sitting position despite the aerodynamics penalty that its high roof incurs.

Even though I've owned my i less than a month, I have become addicted to driving it. I have dreaded the few times I had to drive our minivan since getting the i. ICE driving just feels so wrong now!

I had to drive my wife's new ICE car (2014 Jeep Compass) to take my parents to the airport. (Just outside the range of my i-MiEV on a single charge.) The thing that really irks me is sitting at a red light idling. Engine is running, burning up gas, vibrating the car, doing nothing. I can't wait to get back to driving my i-MiEV tomorrow.

The funny thing is, when I firsted posted this, I forgot about our vacation. The i is sitting at home, all alone. We're on the beach, outside the range of the i, but it probably wouldn't make it to the house because of the sand.

Amazing how intolerable a person can get towards ICEs after driving an EV.

Back