2011 OBC Compatible?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenriFred

My 2011 peugeot ion has an inverter (Mod. edit: OBC) which is non repairable.
Tried to solder 2 new capacitors but damaged the back of the circuit board.
Waa thinking to buy a used one but i could only find one with the same partnumber which was to expensive. I also read that thes older inverters (Mod. edit: OBCs) are bad in design so the same thing might happen after I'd buy a used one.
Does anyone know if it's possible to use a younger inverter (Mod. edit: OBC)?
If yes wich partnumbers might be compatible?
Kind regards,
Henri

Attachments

• 20240717_124014.jpg
    20240717_124014.jpg
    86.9 KB
  • 20240719_122528.jpg
    20240719_122528.jpg
    63.6 KB
Does anybody know if the OBC with partnumber 9499A620 (2012) is an alternative for 9499A437 (2011)?

Last edited:
Had one of the capacitors popped or was it a guess as to what had failed?

Did you replace the separate hv fuse that supplies this box (OBC not inverter).

Cheers.

Both capacitors and the fuse. But unfortunately i damaged the backside of the circuitboard in the proces. One of the legs of the capacitors doesnt make contact to the board. After soldering (See one of the pictures)

Last edited:
Hi Henri. Having been a child in a wee village on the Firth of Forth, I too relish the smell of the ocean, especially when the tide goes out (referring to your introductory thread).

Just to be clear, when you refer to 'inverter' you are referring to the Onboard Charger (OBC) and not the motor drive controller inverter? If so, would you mind if I change the title of your thread for easier searches in the future?

Hi Henri. Having been a child in a wee village on the Firth of Forth, I too relish the smell of the ocean, especially when the tide goes out (referring to your introductory thread).

Just to be clear, when you refer to 'inverter' you are referring to the Onboard Charger (OBC) and not the motor drive controller inverter? If so, would you mind if I change the title of your thread for easier searches in the future?
I think you're right. Talking about the OBC. Sorry about that

On the tiny island in Norway where i lived, i also loved the short distance to quiet corners i could go to and listen to the wind and the waves

My 2011 peugeot ion has an OBC which is non repairable.
Tried to solder 2 new capacitors but damaged the back of the circuit board.
Waa thinking to buy a used one but i could only find one with the same partnumber which was to expensive. I also read that thes older OBC's are bad in design so the same thing might happen after I'd buy a used one.
Does anyone know if it's possible to use a younger OBC?
If yes wich partnumbers might be compatible?
Kind regards,
Henri

Last edited:
Is your granny charger just a mains/type 1 extension lead as @martinwinlow described below?
https://myimiev.com/threads/obc-swapping-gen1-to-gen-2.5485/page-2

If that’s the case you might PM the OP ( @alviseven ) of thread below.
https://myimiev.com/threads/battery-pack-change-plans.5525/

He may have a spare 2010 OBC once he’s completed the battery swap?
Oh no it isn't the same i have a controller in between the plugs, i also charge with a type1 to type 2 cable. Thank you for the info! i'll contact him.

Last edited:
Both capacitors and the fuse. But unfortunately I damaged the backside of the circuit board in the process. One of the legs of the capacitors doesn't make contact to the board.
The two capacitors are in parallel. The two closest leads connect, and the two outer ones. I'm pretty sure you can find where the capacitors connect to elsewhere, without having to access the under side of the board (and hence desolder 72 pins to the Waffle Board™). So no need to discard the old OBC.

Oh wait, unless you caused a short circuit with the damage. You don't want that high DC voltage arcing over.

The two capacitors are in parallel. The two closest leads connect, and the two outer ones. I'm pretty sure you can find where the capacitors connect to elsewhere, without having to access the under side of the board (and hence desolder 72 pins to the Waffle Board™). So no need to discard the old OBC.

Oh wait, unless you caused a short circuit with the damage. You don't want that high DC voltage arcing over.
Ow. That is possibly good news. No there's no short circuit on the board. I switched it on and nothing dramatic happened. Instead the battery light ni longer lights, just the yellow one.
I wouldnt know where to solder the legs to on the circuit board. I guess it's not an option to just short the 2 legs. It's just one leg which doesnt make contact. Thanks for your input!

I guess it's not an option to just short the 2 legs. It's just one leg which doesn't make contact.
Yes, you could connect the inner or outer pair with a piece of wire.

Or you could just put the capacitors side by side, and crimp the leads to the other capacitor's leads. Or just share the same solder blob.

I'm sure there are a dozen ways to do it.

I switched it on and nothing dramatic happened. Instead the battery light no longer lights, just the yellow one.
Those capacitors are not essential for operation; they merely smooth pulses and transients from the DC output. So when you get that second capacitor in place, it's not likely to behave any differently.

You may need to clear some fault codes with an OBD scanner app. That's possibly needed even if you installed a brand new on-board charger.

There there is a small chance that there is other damage.

Yes, you could connect the inner or outer pair with a piece of wire.

Or you could just put the capacitors side by side, and crimp the leads to the other capacitor's leads. Or just share the same solder blob.

I'm sure there are a dozen ways to do it.

Those capacitors are not essential for operation; they merely smooth pulses and transients from the DC output. So when you get that second capacitor in place, it's not likely to behave any differently.

You may need to clear some fault codes with an OBD scanner app. That's possibly needed even if you installed a brand new on-board charger.

There there is a small chance that there is other damage.
Thank you so much for your input. I get to it as soon as i get back from hollidays. Which obd scanner do you use? Or maybe that is another thread :)

Thank you so much for your input. I get to it as soon as i get back from hollidays. Which obd scanner do you use? Or maybe that is another thread :)
I soldered the capacitors and connected the innerpair of legs and the outer pair. Strangely all the warning lights disappeared but i still end up with a short blast of fans and the charger jumps out of charging mode again

I soldered the capacitors and connected the innerpair of legs and the outer pair. Strangely all the warning lights disappeared but i still end up with a short blast of fans and the charger jumps out of charging mode again
mine kept jumping out of charge if the battery was low, 6 attempts at first
but it has improved in the last 6 months of slow charging, and has charged perfectly for the last couple of months
the previous owner used a wall charger (13a at a guess) and often dc charged too, so i,m guessing that the cells had become imbalanced

Back