2011 OBC Compatible?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
? Two capacitors in parallel results in double the capacitance of one.

The two capacitors are meant to be in parallel; they are C121 and C122:

View attachment 1032
On the horrible daughter board with SMD capacitors, those are in some sort of series-parallel arrangement, but the reliability of those is so low that they should be replaced on sight with two "M&M" capacitors (preferably 3 kV voltage rated types, minimum 2 kV).

My guess for why they blow so frequently is the pair of inductors just past them. Something interrupts the current flow quickly (e.g. the 20 A fuse in the motor controller blows), and the energy from those two inductors goes mostly to those two capacitors. The instantaneous voltage could well be in the kilovolt range. Thinking about this, it's a good thing that these relatively cheap and accessible parts die, saving the way more expensive and near impossible to replace IGBTs and diodes.
They could have been a little bit more accessible for my taste in stead of packed in the black goey stuff😊

My 2011 peugeot ion has an inverter (Mod. edit: OBC) which is non repairable.
Tried to solder 2 new capacitors but damaged the back of the circuit board.
Waa thinking to buy a used one but i could only find one with the same partnumber which was to expensive. I also read that thes older inverters (Mod. edit: OBCs) are bad in design so the same thing might happen after I'd buy a used one.
Does anyone know if it's possible to use a younger inverter (Mod. edit: OBC)?
If yes wich partnumbers might be compatible?
Kind regards,
Henri
I decided to take the safest way because i have become familiar with my old OBC. I managed to find a used part (not so easy in Norway) costing about $600.
I upgraded the caps which are not yet exploded which makes easier to solder the new ones. I used liquid isolation tape from Temu to fix them like the old ones. I now know the procedure since i read a lot on the forum. Thanks to everyone putting out posts

The only thing i am struggling with is the coolant change. I know it is in one of the posts but cannot find it.
I removed maybe 1 liter when removing the old OBC. But i read somewhere the system contains about 5 L.
Is it the same coolant system wich i see under the front bonnet?
How too bleed the system, fill it in the front or back?

Attachments

• 20240914_135627.jpg
    20240914_135627.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240915_122712~3.jpg
    20240915_122712~3.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240915_151403.jpg
    20240915_151403.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240915_161106.jpg
    20240915_161106.jpg