The Troubleshooting and Repair for On-board Charger (OBC) Thread

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, on my quest to get the OBC replaced, I found a 2016 charger in a salvage yard as posted above, but it was a Gen1 charger (EMI box on top). I believed any of them made after 2012 wouldn't have the waffle plate, but I want to have the car on the road, so I took it. This 2016 one comes with the little PCB instead of the two snubber caps, little board was burnt. It looks like all the drops in the waffle plate are good so it might just be the snubber caps which I'll receive today. Fingers crossed!

Hi , what kill électronic is often vibration and bad connection, so if you leave the capacitor without the black goo the might vibrate on the long run while driving the car and will probably be defective again .

Привіт позвони 0963020624

Another PM from Pavlo:
@Pavlo :
Hello, I became the owner of i-MiEV, everything worked perfectly, drove 126 kilometers.
But two weeks ago, problems started. There were errors u1116, p1A7E, P1A66, P1A33, P1A31, P1A39, P1B04.
In the process of more detailed diagnostics through OBD C ZERO, it was found that the temperature of 52 degrees is too high in CMU 9 in one of the cells, it was decided to replace the board on this unit with the same one from a used one. car.
After the replacement, the car drove, but soon the same problem appeared on the CMU 10, the board was replaced with a used one. All 88 cells were balanced, lowest voltage 4.05V, highest 4.07V, lowest cell resistance 1.17mΩ, highest 1.20mΩ.
After installing and connecting the battery, the car refuses to charge and there are errors u1116, p1A7E, P1A66, P1A33, P1A31, P1A39, B1105, everything points to a faulty CMU9 board in cell F 329.78329.78 V. I am attaching a photo of the reports.
Can you help or direct me to a discussion thread on this forum? Because I don't know what to do next?

Hi , what kill électronic is often vibration and bad connection, so if you leave the capacitor without the black goo the might vibrate on the long run while driving the car and will probably be defective again .
Why just those Cs and none of the other components ?
Are they carrying hf which might cause a tiny vibration ?
A bit like domestic AC sockets "unscrewing" the mains connections over the years ?

Another PM from Pavlo:
@Pavlo :
P1A66 -CMU09 Battery Cell High Voltage abnormal
PROBABLE CAUSE - The module (battery cell, CMU and battery cell voltage sensor) in the main battery is failed.
P1A7E - CMU09 battery cell voltage sensor abnormal
PROBABLE CAUSE
The module (battery cell, CMU and battery cell voltage sensor) in the main battery is failed. or The BMU is failed
P1A31 - Cell voltage abnormal high (BMU) The procedure for the next 3 is to check the CAN Bus between EV ECU and BMU. But probably due to CMU errors
P1A33 - Cell voltage sensor error (BMU)
P1A39 - Charging state signal error (BMU)
P1B04 - Maximum cell voltage abnormality during charging - Malfunction of BBMU or Main battery most likely due to CMU errors

I wanted to thank the folks in this Forum, especially Kenny and Coulomb for their wise advice. My I-Miev is back charging, repaired solely with the information provided here. You guys rock!

My version of the Waffle Plate™ diode drop diagram. The forum software seems to resize the image. Full size image here.

1712406789549-png.454

Attachments

• 1712406789549.png
    1712406789549.png
    200.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Hello. I write and read through a translator, many things are not clear. The pictures don't open for some reason. The car stopped charging from the home network. I changed the fuse 20A 500V. I rewired the capacitors c121 and c122. Visually, the rest is all whole. Error P1A12. I checked, supplied power to the diode, the resistance changed from 9.6 to 0 ohms. that is, the resistors are intact. How to check the capacity that is near 310v 22mkF?

I now believe that the resistor in the Waffle Plate™ between pins 15 and 16 is not 0, but around 3.3 mΩ, based on around 9.8 mV measured at the end of the pins when I pushed 3.0 A into the pins low down. There seems to be an op-amp near these pins:

1713182860209.png

This emphasises the importance of not shorting pins 15 and 16 when re-soldering the Waffle Plate™; the same goes for pins 7 and 8. These pairs (15,16 and 7,8) appear to be the "voltage" terminals of the four terminal shunt resistors. The bulk of the current flows through the nearby pins, but as far as I can see, these sense wires connect directly to the edges of the SMD resistors.

You can more or less see this in the bottom left of the X-ray photo.

Back