PREPARATION FOR COLD SEASONS

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RobertC said:
If you had excess disposable income and wanted to stay green you could purchase a 12 volt 100 amp-hour lithium battery capable of delivering 50 amps continuously ($1,300.00)
http://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/uploads/files/10555/large/SB100-Data-Sheet.jpg
and use a 500 watt electric space heater ($30.00) with a 12 volt to 120 volt inverter ($50.00).
The battery would last for a couple hours.
The problem there is that 500 watts of electric heat is almost nothing - It would do little to warm the car if it was really cold

If only 500 watts of heat would do you any good, you could skip buying the battery and inverter and just tap into the traction battery pack to run the heater - You could run it for an hour and have almost no effect on the car's range - 500 watt hours is 1/32nd of the capacity of the traction battery

I think the Webasto is a much better solution and our friends with iMiEV's in Norway have proven how practical this installation can be. I don't recall how many btu's the Webasto is rated, but I'm sure it's several times what you would get from a 500 watt electric heater

Don

The smalllest Webasto is 17,500 BTU's per hour, more then 10 times the BTU output of a 500 watt electric heater. If you want to go that small, just buy a electric vest (like motorcycle riders do) and along with the seat heater it will keep you toasty. Just remember a scraper to keep the ice off the inside of the windshield!

Don said:
If only 500 watts of heat would do you any good, you could skip buying the battery and inverter and just tap into the traction battery pack to run the heater - You could run it for an hour and have almost no effect on the car's range - 500 watt hours is 1/32nd of the capacity of the traction battery
Your'e right. 500 watts of electric heat is not much. 1,707 BTU's. And we're looking for ways to not use the traction battery.
siai47 said:
The smalllest Webasto is 17,500 BTU's per hour, more then 10 times the BTU output of a 500 watt electric heater. If you want to go that small, just buy a electric vest (like motorcycle riders do) and along with the seat heater it will keep you toasty. Just remember a scraper to keep the ice off the inside of the windshield!
Good point. Those of us who live in cold climates really do need to heat the inside of our cars.

How about this idea?
A portable heat pump run from the 12 volt 100 amp-hour lithium battery.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Slim-Portable-Air-Conditioner-Heater-Compact-Window-Vent-Room-AC-Heat-/230952705577#vi-content
It provides 8,500 BTU's of heat and uses 7.75 amps at 120 volts.
At 12 volts the portable heat pump would use 77.5 amps (the battery can run up to 100 amps), and would run for an hour.
The cost would be $1,300 (battery) plus $350 (heat pump) plus $100 (inverter) with a total cost of $1,750.00.
Total weight added to the car would be 80 lbs. (50 lbs. for the heat pump and 30 lbs. for the battery.)
You would still be all electric, not use the traction battery, and not burn any fossil fuels.
I'm not sure how useful it would be when the outside temperature is below freezing.
I think the best idea is to insulate the heater. It doesn't cost much and helps get more out of the car's existing heater.

I really like the fact that the Webasto splices into the existing hot water system, so the car retains the full function of the existing setup - Fan speeds, selectable floor, dash and defrost outlets. Everything works just as always, just with lots more heat and no drain on the battery

Don

How many litres of gasoline the Webasto consumes per 100 KM?
Maybe it is reasonable to install a small ICE instead to provide heat and some additional range?

Kuuuurija said:
How many litres of gasoline the Webasto consumes per 100 KM?
Maybe it is reasonable to install a small ICE instead to provide heat and some additional range?
A Webasto parking heater brochure indicates that the small car model consumes about 0.5 lph of fuel at full 4,200 watt output. The maintenance on a Webasto parking heater is considerably less than with an ICE. A Webasto parking heater is much less noisy than an ICE. Even though it requires either gasoline or diesel fuel, I would prefer this cold weather solution over an ICE.

Don said:
I really like the fact that the Webasto splices into the existing hot water system, so the car retains the full function of the existing setup - Fan speeds, selectable floor, dash and defrost outlets. Everything works just as always, just with lots more heat and no drain on the battery
Has anyone done this?
Are there pictures or instructions?

I have been talking to a Bosch shop and I have been talking to my Mitsu garage. They have talked me into giving up - for this summer at least.

I have completed isolating our doors with 5 mm Styro Foam coated with alu on one side. The result is promising. Far less noise from the road and from passing cars. Far better stereo. I have taped the two front speakers too and closed the holes for the back speakers. And finally it has got warmer even without the heater. The cars stays warmer during the night.

I am going to isolate the back door too and maybe I'll take down the roof finally. I want to mount a hamradio antenna in the first place. I'd love to install hooks for a curtain so I can close the windows while charging in the wild. Might convert it into a tiny mobile home.

Cheers
Peter and Karin

There is also a competing product from Eberspacher that compares well with the Webasto - it's called the Hydronic B4 WS, and its slightly smaller than the Webasto Evo 4, while having slightly higher heat output. I'm going to start to look into what it would take to get it over the ocean and installed.
http://www.eberspacher.com/products/heating-products/water-heating/hydronic-4.html

What about incorporating a camping portable propane water heater with the existing heating system under the hood?
You would need to make sure that the exhaust of the water heater was not near the cars air intake.
You could take this one made by Coleman apart and mount the parts you need and the 16.4 oz propane cylinder.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACK668ICK2A
Propane is fairly clean burning.
It's about $200.00 on Amazon.

So, let me ask a question. I read through this whole thread about a month or so ago and have been keeping up with it since. Unfortunately, I do not remember if there is an answer to my question in this thread already, and I don't know that I have the patience to read through it all again. So, I'm just going to ask:

All this talk about insulating our i-MiEVs or supplementing the winter heating. Is this because you all are just very gung-ho about making things "mo bettah"? Or do our i-MiEVs actually really, REALLY suck in cold weather? I'm asking because I'm trying to determine if I should hurry up and try to do something to insulate my Meepster before the cold weather sets in. Or is all of this just nice to have, but not REALLY necessary?

alohart said:
A Webasto parking heater brochure indicates that the small car model consumes about 0.5 lph of fuel at full 4,200 watt output. The maintenance on a Webasto parking heater is considerably less than with an ICE. A Webasto parking heater is much less noisy than an ICE. Even though it requires either gasoline or diesel fuel, I would prefer this cold weather solution over an ICE.
Unfortunately, this specific Webasto product is not available in the USA. I have made attempt to contact Webasto via their online form, they don't answer. They know very well their products are a good fit for EV's as they have a specific concept here:
http://www.webasto.com/us/markets-p...tems-for-automotive-industry/vehicle-heaters/

If anyone figures how to get Webasto to the North America, please post details.

Regarding Eberspaecher, they sell under Espar brand in North America:
http://www.espar.com/products/fuel-...uct-selection/coolant-heaters/hydronic-4.html
They have bunch of useful videos including installation instructions (for trucks). The Dealer is located in Mississauga, Ontario.

RobbW said:
All this talk about insulating our i-MiEVs or supplementing the winter heating. Is this because you all are just very gung-ho about making things "mo bettah"? Or do our i-MiEVs actually really, REALLY suck in cold weather? I'm asking because I'm trying to determine if I should hurry up and try to do something to insulate my Meepster before the cold weather sets in. Or is all of this just nice to have, but not REALLY necessary?
After about 16 months, I can honestly say that I love the car and consider it's purchase one of the better automotive decisions I've made . . . . and I paid a lot more for it than many of those who bought later on . . . . about $10K more, to be exact :lol:

. . . . and, I don't live where it gets really cold, *but* the performance of the heater/defroster is probably the biggest negative with this car I can think of. It appears Mitsu made a conscious decision to keep the heater core from the gas engine version and then went looking for some way to produce warm water (I don't think it ever gets HOT) to run through the heater core so the defroster would function. They weren't all that successful, IMO

Since it never really gets that cold here on the Gulf Coast, our problem is more just keeping the fog off the glass, especially when we have 4 adults in the car . . . . breathing. Where it gets really cold, the humidity isn't a big problem, but here it is - Just keeping the glass clear is a problem. I kinda wish every piece of glass in the car had a defroster grid built into it, like the back window does - That would make it more economical to keep the glass clear and I'd just drive with my parka on :lol: You *can* keep the car comfortable and fog-free, but the amount of energy this requires is just amazing. If your regular summer commute is long enough to use most of your range, winter commuting is going to be an experience. Preheating the car before you leave home will be an absolute necessity and if you can't plug in at work so you can preheat there before you leave, your ride home is going to be . . . . different - As in a bit chilly. If you drive alone, there won't be as much fog to deal with and the seat heater will keep you thawed out . . . . but if you have passengers, it's a whole different ball game - Tell them to bundle up . . . . and STOP breathing! ;)

There are tips and tricks for how to set the climate controls to maximize comfort and minimize battery drain scattered through several threads here - Hopefully one of our Canadian or New York owners can start a new thread focused on how to get the most from heating/defrosting now that fall is here

The car is just as useful in the winter as it is in the summer, but the difference in energy usage between heating/defrosting and air conditioning is dramatic - You can cool it in a hot climate without greatly affecting your range, but keeping the inside anywhere near as fog-free and toasty as you've been used to in your previous ICE cars is going to cost you significant range . . . . and in the end, you're still not going to be 'toasty' unless your commute is really short

As to insulating the doors and hoses and the heater box under car - No doubt those measures will make the car a bit more efficient and that will result in longer range when running the heater/defroster. You'll get through this winter if you don't do any of that (maybe by driving with extra layers of clothing and only running the heat enough to keep the glass clear) and then you can decide what you want to do next year . . . . but, if I lived where it snows and I planned to drive this car for 8 or 10 years, I'd do something about the heating system - Likely I'd buy some sort of fuel burning heater if I had a long commute and wanted to stay comfortable

On the positive side of this discussion - You'll soon realize how much waste heat an ICE generates. They all have a big radiator to disperse many thousands of btu's of waste heat generated by burning fossil fuels and they still have enough of it left to run you our of the car AND melt the snow off the roof at the same time - Driving an EV, those days are GONE. We have almost zero waste heat . . . . even when we wish we had some :mrgreen:

Don

My experience tells me

That preheating for 20-30 minutes in extreme cold weather will keep you going comfortably for about 1/2 hour as long as you are well dressed , running the heater at a low setting & using the seat heaters.
It's after that you need more
Keeping the windows clear from frost is a challenge

By extreme cold I mean -27C ( -16 F )

Your range drops quite a bit in extreme cold 30-40 %

If you keep your trips down to 1/2 hour and preheat before you should be fine.

If I'm pushing the Range in these conditions I have used a lap blanket and the seat heater .
The feet suffer the most from the cold.
I am considering getting some battery heated socks for these rare occasions.

DonDakin used heated insoles and was very happy with the results

Visiting their lastest BMW i8 and i3 show late in the afternoon at the Frankfurt IAA, we come home at 5 in the morning. This has not been the first cold night we spent in our car charging.

The BMW i3 is a great car, no doubt. But after isolating doors and rear hatch Karin and me do see a chance to survive winter again. It is warmer even without heater and the heater seems to draw less power.

Things to do: Heater and plumbing and the roof liner. If I can find some space I'll online some pictures.

The i3 has a little bit more trunk space but folding and tilting seats in out i-MiEV we might easily get more than 2 meters long and about 1.30 wide space for two. Add blankets and curtains does not get you a caravan but it gets closer and closer.

Cheers
Peter and Karin

Don and Sandage,

You are both right on the money. The lack of heat in an ev is a problem in the winter. I look at it this way: ev's are very dependent on the grid to work. The classic car is independent but not the ev. Most of the time this is fine but when it comes to producing comfort heat ev's just don't do that. They are useful for small runs in the cold but that's it. By cold I mean less then -10 deg c. The colder the shorter a ride you should plan.

The heated insoles are amazing go for it sandage you won't regret it. I posted before on the ones I got.

The real answer is the webasto. I'm working on hunting one down but I think I will go another winter with the car as is and my 1500btu catalytic heater for very cold days. Last winter I made it thru with l1 charging only. Now that I have l2 I think it will be easier.

What we really need is L3 but in external cold I don't know if it works well.

Don........

Don said:
There are tips and tricks for how to set the climate controls to maximize comfort and minimize battery drain scattered through several threads here - Hopefully one of our Canadian or New York owners can start a new thread focused on how to get the most from heating/defrosting now that fall is here
I'd be very appreciative to anyone willing to start this new thread and share their tips and tricks for keeping the i-MiEV warm-ish using only the features/functions it comes with (no modifications).

Don, I know what you're saying about keeping the fog off the windows. A few days last week, the temperature started to dip significantly. It was cold enough to keep our windows closed, which caused the windows to fog up from our breathing, but it wasn't cold enough to really warrant running the heater. The few times I HAD to turn on the defroster to clear the windows, I noticed the RR gauge drop dramatically. THAT'S when I really started to get concerned about the upcoming winter season. I was like, if my range is going to drop this much just for using the defroster a little bit, then I am really screwed once it is freezing outside in the middle of winter!

So far this summer, I average about 75 miles on the RR when we leave for work in the morning after a night of charging. When I get home at night after the round-trip commute and some other running around, I usually have 40-45 miles left on the RR. So I figured that during the winter, even if the cold sapped 30-40% of my range, I'd still have plenty to spare just to make my daily commute. However, once I used the defroster a couple times last week and saw that it nearly halved your range immediately, I was really alarmed! I forgot to put two and two together. In the winter, I will be cursed with both the cold itself stealing my range AND the heater sucking it down quickly, too. If the cold itself reduces your range 30-40% and then the heater cuts it another 40% on top of that, my average 75 mile range will be cut to 15-22 miles!!! That's enough to get me to work but not home again. And I've already been told I won't be allowed to plug in at work!

My experience has been that battery loss due to cold temperatures is more like 10-15%. The loss from the use of heater/defrost varies greatly depending on whether we're talking about defogging or deicing...one person in the car or four, sitting in traffic or driving along at 30 mph.

With the heat on the lowest settings, and moving along at 30 mph, you may only lose another 10%. Run the defroster on high and sit in traffic and you will probably lose 50%.

When I'm alone in the car I find decent success defrosting with no heat sometimes, just a little fan.

Actually my experience has been about 70 km in the worst winter conditions. I rack that up to 25% capacity loss due to bitter cold and 25 % the heater. It could get worst with even more loss if you are plowing around in a foot of snow.

I would not worry about you commute to work, I think you always make it home because you shut down the heat if it gets tight but it's a learning experience.

Like most people I tend to be conservative with the heat at the beginning and when it's clear I will make it back then I add more heat. That combined with preheating seems to work pretty well.

Robbw where do you live ? How cold does it get ?

You do have to get used to the fact that the car will get less range in the winter.

Btw did I mention heated insoles......?

Don......

I live in the Chicago suburbs. Depending on what kind of winter we end up getting, it could get bitterly cold for a decent stretch. Negative temps for a week or two at a time isn't uncommon in the middle of January. However, most of the winter, we'll probably average in the mid-20s to mid-30s. The past few years, we've had relatively mild winters. So, maybe that trend will continue. Maybe global warming isn't ALL bad! ;-)

Back