I-Miev as Backup Home Battery?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orleans

Does one anyone use their I-miev as a backup battery for power outages? The old owner of our house had their board set up to be switched over from the public electricity to a gas generator, so that a select number of appliances could continue to run that way, and I'm wondering if it's possible to run something from one of the car sockets to that same input from the generator but I don't know a lot about how the car works. With the two outlets in the car, I feel like I've read the second one should work in reverse? Is it as simple as it sounds?

Does one anyone use their I-miev as a backup battery for power outages? The old owner of our house had their board set up to be switched over from the public electricity to a gas generator, so that a select number of appliances could continue to run that way, and I'm wondering if it's possible to run something from one of the car sockets to that same input from the generator but I don't know a lot about how the car works. With the two outlets in the car, I feel like I've read the second one should work in reverse? Is it as simple as it sounds?
It’s true that the second CHAdeMON outlet is bi-directional but you need an additional inverter box that was only sold in Japan to make use of that functionality.

You could also clamp a 12V inverter directly onto your aux battery terminals and with the car in Ready have it powered by the HV battery via the OBC DC/DC section.

To answer your question, yes it’s possible to do but not without additional equipment and a potential risk to do permanent damage to the car if you don’t know what you’re doing.

I did this successfully with mine with 3 permanent leads off the 12v battery connected to a 1200 watt inverter, back feeding the house main panel via a double ended extension cord. Leave the car in "ready" mode, and use only the circuits you need. I powered a gas fired boiler, outlets for internet and refrigerator. Some re-jiggering of circuit breakers was required, but we got 2-3 days of backup this way. Hoping I can do this with my i3...

I would be wary of keeping the car in ready because you're using the DC-DC inside the car to power the inverter, and I wonder how many watts can it provide?

200 for radio
100 Headlights|
100 AUX ligthing here and there
200 AC fan and pheripherals
100 watt miscelaneous
700-900 watts at best?

But you can find the Chademo inverter in Mercari and Ebay and other sites, use a 100-120V transformer and power the house. You can power many things with 1000 watts, just no Resistive heaters of any kind or central AC

I would be wary of keeping the car in ready because you're using the DC-DC inside the car to power the inverter, and I wonder how many watts can it provide?

200 for radio
100 Headlights|
100 AUX ligthing here and there
200 AC fan and pheripherals
100 watt miscelaneous
700-900 watts at best?

But you can find the Chademo inverter in Mercari and Ebay and other sites, use a 100-120V transformer and power the house. You can power many things with 1000 watts, just no Resistive heaters of any kind or central AC
You’re forgetting its main task is to charge the 12V aux, so it has a much higher rating, can’t remember exactly but 3kW seems plausible.

But that’s peak power, therefore you’re right, I wouldn’t recommend to go above half of that on a continuous basis.

If you’re referring to CHAdeMON inverters intended for the Leaf, I’m afraid they don’t work with an I-MIEV.

No I'm taking about the ones made for Mitsubishi

miev inverter.png

I hardly doubt the Dc-Dc to charge the Aux battery is capable of 3kw. Even the Tesla cars are wires with 100A fuse = 1200 watts max.

I hardly doubt the Dc-Dc to charge the Aux battery is capable of 3kw. Even the Tesla cars are wires with 100A fuse = 1200 watts max.
The output of the OBC DC/DC is protected by fuseable links totalling 200A; if I multiply that by 14.4V I get closer to 3kW than 1200W?

Many have tried to get their hands on an original Mitsu CHAdeMON power box, none made it out of the JDM as far as I’m aware therefore I have some doubts that what’s advertised is the real deal; you wouldn’t have specifics?

The output of the OBC DC/DC is protected by fuseable links totalling 200A; if I multiply that by 14.4V I get closer to 3kW than 1200W?

Many have tried to get their hands on an original Mitsu CHAdeMON power box, none made it out of the JDM as far as I’m aware therefore I have some doubts that what’s advertised is the real deal; you wouldn’t have specifics?
Well they sell all over mercari, and you can use a japanese forwarder to sent it to you.

Basically you find the auction, you pay the forwarder, they buy it and ship to to themselves, then they ship it to you.

I have bought toys and kitchenware using that. Have not bought "appliances" yet.

Also my wife is Japanese i could pick one up when I visit.

Yahoo auctions inverter

More expensive, brand new.

Well they sell all over mercari, and you can use a japanese forwarder to sent it to you.

Basically you find the auction, you pay the forwarder, they buy it and ship to to themselves, then they ship it to you.

I have bought toys and kitchenware using that. Have not bought "appliances" yet.

Also my wife is Japanese i could pick one up when I visit.

Yahoo auctions inverter

More expensive, brand new.
the web site lists max at 1500w, kinda low, is it correct ?

The output of the OBC DC/DC is protected by fuseable links totalling 200A
125A on the DCDC output, seen here:
1bb89f8bf61bca4ab4d14a899954e532.jpg

i never looked at the 125A fuse in detail to find the specs (add it to the to-do list).

i would guess that the fusible links are meant to be large enough to avoid any nuisance blows, but sufficient to blow in the event of a shorting fault?

i never looked at the 125A fuse in detail to find the specs (add it to the to-do list).

i would guess that the fusible links are meant to be large enough to avoid any nuisance blows, but sufficient to blow in the event of a shorting fault?
I’d say you’re correct, so based on the 125A DC/DC fuse I wouldn’t go using an DC/AC inverter rated above 1200W.

the web site lists max at 1500w, kinda low, is it correct ?

no, its 15 amps, 100V. This supports a single breaker circuit of a house. The maximum power any single appliance can draw ( exception of things like a stove, water heater, dryer, etc)

This is meant as a portable power source not something to power your entire home. Maybe use it at an event to power audio equipment, small cooking appliances, power for medical equipment in the field etc.

A friend with an i-miev lives in a zero energy ready tiny house with a mini-split.
Knowing nothing about electronics.
Looking at the tag on the heat pump....
max fuse is 15 amps.
The fan motor fla is 0.50 w/an output of 55.
The compressor is a rla of 8.2 with a lra of 10.3

His domestic hot water is supplied by prototype induction unit storing 1 gallon of water. 700w unit takes 15 minutes to recharge the vacuum insulated tank. Lights are LED and the house fan currently runs off of a power block designed to run laptops for what I've been told is several days between charging.
(I've house sat and actually tried the mist shower that was designed by Buckminster Fuller but not mass produced. It uses 0.75 gallons of water per 9 minute shower. It is weird but really works - provided you've got short hair.)

I'm not asking about "normal" parameters. Could this NASA inspired efficiency experiment be run by the i-miev in emergencies? I'd say he might be better off with a power block, but, could it?

I'm not asking about "normal" parameters. Could this NASA inspired efficiency experiment be run by the i-miev in emergencies? I'd say he might be better off with a power block, but, could it?
As long as the load stays below 1200w (post #14) I don’t see why not. If more power is required the car could still be used to re-charge the power block in an extended blackout scenario.

A friend with an i-miev lives in a zero energy ready tiny house with a mini-split.
Knowing nothing about electronics.
Looking at the tag on the heat pump....
max fuse is 15 amps.
The fan motor fla is 0.50 w/an output of 55.
The compressor is a rla of 8.2 with a lra of 10.3
what is powering the mini-split now ? the power block ? the iMiev's DC (~360vdc, 16kwh) pack with the appropriate DC/AC inverter can certainly supply the power

It's a shame that the CHAdeMO vehicle-to-home inverters don't work on i-MiEV, as confirmed by JoeS, and I'd consider the JDM 100VAC unit more of a toy, as we can more easily and cheaply serve a 1500W load with a 12V inverter. If these cars had cruise control, I'd be tempted to set up some dynomometer-style rollers with gearing attached to a generator head, just as if it were a PTO. Strap the car to the dyno, set the cruise control for the correct generator head RPM (1800 or 3600) and the power output would automatically modulate to maintain synchronous speed with zero risk to the vehicle electronics! (at a cost of some efficiency and tire wear)..

I'll attest to the robustness of the DC/DC converters. I used my iMiEV as a mobile jumpstarter for dead 12V diesel trucks with dual batteries many times without any implications.

Back