How to open the 240V charging on the SE model??? new here

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PV1 said:
Don, if you ever think of selling your open EVSE, let me know. I'll take it for a good price.
No, it's not for sale. I do use it when ever I need some 'quick juice' - Probably once or twice per month

You could probably build one now for less than my build cost. I built mine more than a year ago and I paid $135 just for the charge handle and that was with no cable attached. I think the prices have come down some now

Don

fjpod said:
I'm still charging on my OEM level 1. I had every intention of getting a 220 volt unit, even wired my garage for it, but two things stopped me:
1. I thought $900 for a unit was ridiculous. There is no reason they should cost more than $150.
2. I found that the original unit fulfilled 99% of my charging needs, and maybe it is healthier for the battery anyway.

I'll get one someday...when they are about $250.
To each their own, but since we're sharing information with a new user, I should point out that I've seen no technical support for the suggestion that L2 charging is "harder" on the battery than L1; that assertion should be regarded as folklore, anecdotal or at best "extrapolated common sense." There have been plenty of discussions about this elsewhere in the forum, but I think any newcomer should be aware that this is not a universally accepted truth.

To put this issue in context, let's consider that Level 3 charging at 50kW falls well within this battery chemistry's specifications; indeed, Mitsubishi has made no secret of their assessment that the GS Yuasa batteries are more tolerant of L3 charging than Nissan's (the Toshiba SCiBs that Mitsu offers in Japan are a whole other thing, definitely being able to handle multiple L3 charging sessions per day, but we can't get those here).

Keeping that in mind, let's also remember that our L2 chargers are quite low powered, only 3.3kW, barely more than 1/16 of L3 charging levels. The difference between this and L1 is negligible when either is compared against L3, so I don't think it's something that people need to be concerned about.

Not trying to start a back and forth here, just wanted to point out that there are a range of views on this topic, which can be explored by searching for other threads.

WOW! A lot of great info. I did read the manual cover to cover.
Ok, I informed myself about energy before we got the car. I understand amps., volts, kwh.

I do not know that the L5-L-16 is? Or any of the other numbers of spare cables. Can some one break it down? What do the numbers and letters stand for. How would I do a wire splice? We actually have NO charging stations at all where we live in California,which is the pits. I am doing a lot of letter writing and calling the big companies in our area.

It would be 1K just for electrician not incluging box for the garage, not an option. We have one not in use 15 feet from garage. I understand that my SE can do level 2, but am not clear on the plug or wiring. Are there any sites with diagrams. I want to understand how this works.
I drive the full 60 miles per day between the 4 kids and practice and the store. I do need the fast charge and have a 220 available. Looking for safest cheapest method.
Also has anyone at the Nissan dealership told imiev owners they can't charge there. Mine did and it is the only one!
Thanks in advance,
Rebecca

divorcedopec said:
I do not know that the L5-L-16 is? Or any of the other numbers of spare cables. Can some one break it down? What do the numbers and letters stand for.
This should answer all your questions about electrical plug and outlet types.

divorcedopec said:
How would I do a wire splice?
If you are not familiar with electrical circuit wiring, you should leave this to an electrical contractor. There's too much danger of electrical shock, fire, etc.

divorcedopec said:
It would be 1K just for electrician not incluging box for the garage, not an option. We have one not in use 15 feet from garage.
I am very envious of the low cost of your circuit installation compared with what I will have to pay. But if that's not something that you will do, you might consider constructing an extension cord using electrical cable suitable for at least 15 amps over the 15 or so feet that the current would be traveling, a suitable plug, and a suitable outlet. If this extension cord would be exposed to the outdoors, the cable would need to be designed for outdoor exposure. You would need to take appropriate precautions to avoid damage to this extension cord. If done right, this could be an inexpensive solution to your problem.

divorcedopec said:
I understand that my SE can do level 2, but am not clear on the plug or wiring.
You can use the Wikipedia reference I provided to identify your existing 240 v. outlet. Then you'd know what plug you'd need for that outlet. An EVSEupdated i-MiEV EVSE includes an L6-20P plug, so the 240 volt outlet you'd need would be L6-20R. The hardware store where you would by the cable, outlet, and plug should be able to recommend the appropriate cable that would safely carry 15 amps over ~15 feet.

divorcedopec said:
Also has anyone at the Nissan dealership told imiev owners they can't charge there.
Yep. The decision to allow non-Leafs to charge at a Nissan dealership is made by the dealership itself. I can understand why a Nissan dealership would want to make this privilege available to Leafs only.

Well...like I said, "MAYBE its healthier for the battery".

I find the slower charging time more convenient overnight when I do virtually all of my charging. It brings the battery near the top by morning without needing to fool with the keyfob timer. It has been agreed that not charging to 100%, and using the car soon after a charge is beneficial. That's what I meant when I said it MAYBE healthier.

Agreed that the onboard charger isn't capable of enough power to shorten the expected life of the battery pack, no matter what charging mode you use . . . . but slower charging does require less cooling of the charger than faster charging does, as evidenced by the frequency with which the cooling system kicks in, so why recharge faster than necessary

Rebecca - The confusing numbers being tossed around are the designations of the various plugs and sockets. When you go to buy them at Lowes/Home Depot, you'll need to make sure you get the correct ones

If you have your EVSE upgraded, they'll replace the standard plug which currently plugs into a standard household outlet with a twistlock connector - A NEMA L6-20P. This is necessary because when you go to use your newly upgraded EVSE, you might be plugging it into 120 volts or you might be plugging it into 240 volts, so it must have a plug which is legal for either one. Since you don't have any L6-20 sockets to plug it into, you'll need to buy a short pigtail adapter to match up with the twistlock on the unit to adapt it to something you can plug it into. For sure you'll need to buy the standard household adapter from them when you get the upgrade done - A standard household plug is a NEMA 5-15P in electrical lingo. (The 'P' on the end means it's a plug, an 'S' would mean it's a socket)

Now, if I understand you correctly, you do have some sort of 240 volt outlet you can use which is about 15 feet away from where you park the car? If that's the case, you need to build a 240 volt extension cord. No 'splicing' needed . . . . you just install new ends on a new wire. You, your husband or a neighbor can probably do this in an hour or so

Buy a 12 gauge, 25 foot standard extension cord from the home store. Buy a plug which fits your existing 240 volt outlet. Buy a NEMA L6-20S socket for the other end and that will match up with the twistlock on your upgraded EVSE. Cut the ends off the extension cord and install your new 240 plug on one end and your new twistlock socket on the other end. There are 3 wires in the cord, one black, one white and one green. The green wire will be connected to the 'Ground' pin in both the plug and the socket and the other wires (white and black) will be connected to the other 2 pins in the plug/socket . . . . it doesn't matter which goes where. Everything will be safe and legal

If you're still uncertain, I'll buy the parts, build you a cord and ship it to you, charging you only for the cost of the parts and shipping - Probably about $75, give or take

Then - With the adapter you bought, you can pug the car into any existing household outlet and recharge 50% faster than you can now (at 12 amps as opposed to the 8 amps it uses now) *or* you can use your new extension cord and plug it onto your existing 240 volt socket and recharge three times faster than you can now, again, all safe and legal

Don

Don and others thank you so much!
Don thank you for "dumbing it down for me.":) I am going to make this car work for us and I love not having to buy gas. I get the "p" and "s" does "L" stand for length?
I talked to Mark at the upgrade place EVSE. I am going to click on the attached links.
I might need to take you up on the offer for helping with wiring. I will be happy to pay for your time as well.

I am more handy than my husband.(My dad made me change my own oil as a teen).
I really wanted this car and am hoping to show othe moms with 4 kids your don't need an SUV!
Rebecca

Rebecca,

The 'L' in NEMA (National Electrical Manufacturers Association) nomenclature stands for 'locking' - The NEMA L6-20 is a twistlock connector . . . . you put the plug in the socket and then twist it clockwise slightly and the connection is locked together - The plug can't pull out of the socket unless you untwist it to unlock it. One more reason it was an excellent choice for use where an adapter pigtail would be required

If you need a cord, I'd be happy to make you one - No charge other than the parts and shipping

Don

divorcedopec said:
Don and others thank you so much!
Don thank you for "dumbing it down for me.":) I am going to make this car work for us and I love not having to buy gas. I get the "p" and "s" does "L" stand for length?
I talked to Mark at the upgrade place EVSE. I am going to click on the attached links.
I might need to take you up on the offer for helping with wiring. I will be happy to pay for your time as well.

I am more handy than my husband.(My dad made me change my own oil as a teen).
I really wanted this car and am hoping to show othe moms with 4 kids your don't need an SUV!
Rebecca

Good for you! This car does work and yes, we don't need a big SUV to haul the kids around. I got some negativity from my spouse when I first bought it. But now he likes it especially since I haven't bought gas or paid for maintenance in 14 months.

Back