Charging safety

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kuuuurija

Is it safe to charge with wet boots?
e6f44350068c11e39d7a22000a1f9d9b_7.jpg

But display and operating buttons of those chargers are faced towards the puddle.
The opposite side is btw a road (intersection of roads), not a parking lot. Even short stop is not allowed there.

It is safe. EVs dont lose oil so you can step barefoot into the poodle.

The i-MiEV can take a foot of water. So as long as you can open the doors without the water coming in, it is safe for our car as well.

If it is J1772 it is save again but I dont know for CHAdeMO.

Cheers
Peter and Karin

I'd gladly stand in a puddle to have access to a DC fast charger.

New Jersey has only one DC fast charger, and I could make many longer trips with my i-MiEV if I could just stop and fast charge for 15 minutes somewhere along my route.

RobertC said:
New Jersey has only one DC fast charger, and I could make many longer trips with my i-MiEV if I could just stop and fast charge for 15 minutes somewhere along my route.
Count your blessings!

There is not one public charging station (L1, L2 or L3) within about 100 miles of where I live

Don

peterdambier said:
It is safe. EVs dont lose oil so you can step barefoot into the poodle.

The i-MiEV can take a foot of water. So as long as you can open the doors without the water coming in, it is safe for our car as well.

If it is J1772 it is save again but I dont know for CHAdeMO.

No transmission or brake oil at all? I seriously doubt it!
Standing barefoot in the puddle is not good for your health (it is only few degrees above zero Celsius here now).
But I meant electricity safety... Any failure in insulation can cause electric shock.

Those charging stations are CHAdeMO, btw.

In wintertime those chargers are blocked by snowdrift. Like here.

I did not expect that charging station so close to us. If there only were more CHAdeMOs in between, Karin and me could come for a visit.

After one year charging in rain and snow I dont worry any longer but I might do an exception. A pair of waterproof boots might be ok.

The bottom of our i-MiEV is enclosed. It really does not lose oily fluids.

Cheers
Peter and Karin

It takes ca 20 hours of driving to get here from Germany by regular car. By electric car it takes at least 3 times more (together with charging time), even if there were enough chargers to cover the route. But you are welcome here to rent an electric car (for 30€ per 24 h) and to wander around our country, covered with CHAdeMO charging network.

Back to the question; absolutely safe. I would only hesitate if parked at a seawall spewing salty spray. In any case, the safeties will break the circuit in the event of a ground fault. I had a car show to get to on Saturday after my usual 50 mile delivery run, so washed the car while plugged in on Level 2. My car, being near Seattle, spends about as much time charging in the rain as not.

Back