Changed brake pads and still have the same 12V battery

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarryP

Wow. I haven’t been here in a while and the software changed. I had to update my security password.

Anyway, my status is I have about 87k miles on the iMiev. At 85k I had to replace the brake pads since they were 10 mils! I’m still on the original 12V battery! That thing keeps going and going.

The iMiev use has dropped a little since we are using the Niro EV a lot.

We use the Niro EV for all the long trips. That is a comfortable car; much more than my Prius.

We still enjoy the iMiev. It’s a great get-around and parkable (new word) car.

-Barry
-Warning: EVs are addictive

That's great Barry. Amazing that the 12V is still holding in there, i guess you got your money's worth out of that :LOL:

You must not use much Regen to wear out the brake pads--i've been thru three 12V batteries, but no brake pads (i try not to use them by shifting to B mode)

True. My wife and daughter used the "ECO" setting a lot and they drive it the most. I use the "B" setting because I love the regen. I have loaned the iMiev to nephews and they keep it in "D" so that it behaves closer to an ICE.
At the 8 year mark I had to change the main battery. The main battery is at 41 miles/charge in the summer and 37 miles/charge in the winter. It makes me wonder if Mitsubishi took out the 16kWh battery and put in a 9kWh version.
Every couple of years I top off the distilled water in the 12V battery.
-Barry

It makes me wonder if Mitsubishi took out the 16kWh battery and put in a 9kWh version.
It makes me wonder that they didn't perform the "Reset" procedure when they replaced the battery pack--it has happened to other folks.

There are several Service Bulletins about doing this procedure, can be found here if the link will work,
Battery Reset Procedures

Service Bulletin pdf

Last edited:
Great. I don't have that scan tool. The Mitsi Pocatello ID shop closed down (that replaced the traction battery). So I will hunt down a service shop that knows their Mitsubishis.

If you have an OBDII dongle and one of the blueteeth phone apps (OBDzero, canion, etc) then you could scan yourself and read out the pack capacity. Or get one of the corded scan tools like the i909 from icarsoft to do the same thing just plug and scan.

Great. I don't have that scan tool. The Mitsi Pocatello ID shop closed down (that replaced the traction battery). So I will hunt down a service shop that knows their Mitsubishis.
As long as you did a battery calibration procedure on a regular basis (discharge below approx 2 bars then AC charge to 100% in one go and keep it plugged in until charge stops) the car will recognise the increased capacity over time and adjust it accordingly.

Back