2012 SE Not Starting, dealer want almost $8k for bad MCU inverter

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And a quarter of the price that the real device was sold for (in the end anyway; perhaps the price escalated as they became scarcer).

But it would be great for someone to verify that they seem to me made professionally and work at least on the bench.

On Sept 7, 2021 @Gary12345 posted in the main P1A15 thread:

You guys have done some amazing work there!! Especially on the new circuit board that the new voltage measurement package sits on.
I am one of the people with a car with P1A15 - can I buy a circuit board from you?! Will you offer these for sale to help other cars be fixed?
and then in December 2023:
What are the fault codes? I have fixed loads of MCUs with P1A15 precharge fault (and I mean properly fixed by repairing failed components, not the dangerous resistor bodge !)

Then i inquired if he would mind sharing some of his findings related to these failed components from these loads of repairs, and he replied on June 14, 2024:
Hi, there was a lot of R&D done at Hevra the diagnostic support company I work at - we help independent garages in the UK with diagnostics on hybrid and EV vehicles. I have to be slightly careful what I say because the knowledge is owned by the company. The hybrid board basically it becomes less accurate, leading to it under reporting the HV voltage in the MCU.

We looked at about 6 cars that all had this same fault as we have the i-miev, c-zero and ion in the UK and the company is quite well known among EV repair garages, and had some success replacing components on the isa hybrid board but the fault varied slightly car to car. The best solution was to replace the hybrid board with a custom printed circuit board with a new isolation amplifier. Removing the isa board takes some patience - it is very easy to pull the tracks off the board.

The replacement circuit board is larger so it took some attempts to get a nice way to fit it, which will survive road vibration. This repair is one that I carry out for the company, so garages send me the board or the whole MCU for repair and I stock the parts.

Seems like he crawfished out and claimed proprietary knowledge, huh?

So what is this, just a one way street--you came here and took advantage of all our freely shared schematics and findings from troubleshooting, but then you can't even share anything you learned to lend a hand to help us out?

What if we all had that attitude?

Turn about is fair play; get a little, give a little.

Last edited:
On Sept 7, 2021 @Gary12345 posted in the main P1A15 thread:

and then in December 2023:

Then i inquired if he would mind sharing some of his findings related to these failed components from these loads of repairs, and he replied on June 14, 2024:

Seems like he crawfished out and claimed proprietary knowledge, huh?

So what is this, just a one way street--you came here and took advantage of all our freely shared schematics and findings from troubleshooting, but then you can't even share anything you learned to lend a hand to help us out?

What if we all had that attitude?

Turn about is fair play; get a little, give a little.
Sadly is the same story across many fields.

Back