melloyello

Re: Search issues and aftermarket wheels

Don wrote:You did have to put a spacer behind the front wheels to make them clear the shock tower . . . . didn't you? What thickness? Need longer studs? No issues with the cars Regen system running those size tires?

I have a brand new set of those same exact wheels complete with "MINI" center caps in the BMW boxes that need to be mounted on something . . . .

Don
Yes, 10mm spacers all around to restore original offset and clear front struts, longer studs (cut to custom length), and also I'd recommend open-ended lug nuts so you can still swap back to stock wheels. A few months ago I clipped a really nasty pothole in a bad way and damaged the 2 wheels and tires on the right side. Thankfully, i could easily swap back to stock wheels and found another set of 4 identical mini cooper wheels with tires on craigslist for $200 total. If I only had my stock wheels, I would have had to pay like $400 for each wheel. And I'd have to wait for them to come. Also that day, I would have needed a flatbed tow home. So while it took some work to get these wheels to fit, it has really paid off for me.

Edit: Forgot to mention, regen has been working fine with my tire sizes.
pluto

Picking up my 2012 ES with steel wheels next week. Will these rims work with the stock tires? Planning to install winter tires on the steelies come fall

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/st-ca ... 1159681100
Don
Site Moderator

pluto wrote:Picking up my 2012 ES with steel wheels next week. Will these rims work with the stock tires?
The 145 OE front tires shouldn't be stretched on to 5.5 inch rims - They might physically fit and air up, but I doubt the tire manufacturer would recommend doing so

Edit: The manufacturer says the 145/65R15 tires are designed for 4 to 5 inch wide rims

The whole point of going with a wider rim is to get rid of the 145's which are very narrow, even for a small car

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2021 Volkswagen ID.4 Glacier White Metallic
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon
2006 Itasca Navion Sprinter Motor Home
pluto

Gotcha. So is there another size front tire I could use with those rims to maintain the original tire circumference and not mess anything up?
Don
Site Moderator

melloyello recommended 165/60R15 fronts with 175/65R15 on the rears and says those work well for him. I think I'll give that a try on one of my cars since I already have the wheels

Don
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, White
2012 iMiEV SE Premium, Raspberry Metallic
2012 iMiEV SE, White
2021 Volkswagen ID.4 Glacier White Metallic
2014 Ford Transit Connect XLT SWB wagon
2006 Itasca Navion Sprinter Motor Home
pluto

Hmm tiresize.com says the closest match is 155/60R15 (Diameter of 22.3" which is -0.4% smaller than stock). I did find a (small) selection of tires available in that size. Would they work with the 5.5" rim? Edit: 1010tires.com says 5.5" rim will fit that size

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nle8xnlvy6xvd ... 5.png?dl=0

165/60R15 is noted as a 'rare size' and is 22.8" in diameter (+1.8% bigger), however it seems there are tires available in that size too. Edit: 175/55R15 is a better match (22.6" + 0.9%)

Any issues with clearance on the fronts with using a wider tire?
PV1
Site Moderator

To be honest, our stock tires are a rare size. I've only been able to get OEM Dunlops through a Mitsubishi dealer (everyone else has said they are on nationwide backorder...for 3 years now :evil: ).

You have to go smaller up front for 175/55R15 to work on the back (NA i-MiEVs only. "World" i-MiEVs use 55Rs on the back with a different gearbox ratio). They are too wide to fit up front without sticking out of the fenders.
"Bear" - 2012 Diamond White Pearl ES with QC
"Koorz" - 2012 Cool Silver Metallic ES with QC
"Photon" - 2017 Bolt EV LT in Orange with QC
2018 Tesla Model 3, LR AWD, MSM
Solar-powered since 10/10/2013
melloyello

I haven't tried 175/55R15 up front myself, but I suspect it would fit. But you also need to find a matching rear tire size that keeps a similar size ratio between front and rear. The sizes I used were the only pair I could find that maintains the right ratio and is available in the same tire model front and rear.
pluto

Brought the car home yesterday. Definitely noticed those narrow front wheels going 60-65mph for the 60 mile trip back from the border :) Happy that I made it with range to spare; might have helped that I drafted (at a safe distance) an 18 wheeler for a good chunk of that!

Just picked up the rims from the guy on Kijiji (Canadian Craigslist :D). He recommended a shop that could install spacers and longer studs as he doesn't deal with those. Might as well get tires there so they can mount them up and make sure everything is good. Will go with the sizes you got melloyello, thanks for the tip. They are going to check with their supplier in the morning but he mentioned Continentals were available, as well as something called 'Minerva' which is half the price.
pluto

Bit concerned about the Continental Contiprocontact tires after reading the reviews on TireRack.com

Most of the reviewers seemed to get them as OEM tires, not sure if that has any bearing.

Have you had any issues with these tires melloyello? How many miles do you have on them to date?

Return to “Wheels - Tires”