Canion

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a feeling that graphing the acceleration rates would be tricky. All three modes CAN give you full power if you floor it -- that's for safety. You would have to somehow normalize the accelerator distance (a robot? simple machine?) then graph it that way.

Yep, there would have to be some sort of indicator that the accelerator is in the same position for each drive mode. And IF someone can figure out a way to do that, I'd love to see it applied to everyday driving. I often wish there was some sort of tactile response to indicate what position your accelerator is in. For example, I would love it if I could feel with my foot that the accelerator was exactly in the middle and corresponded with the middle line/bar at the top of the power meter. When I am driving, I try to keep my acceleration at or below that center line. However, I always have to watch the power meter to see when I hit that center line and then keep my foot in the same position on the accelerator. I'd like to know when my foot hits that "center line" without having to take my eyes off the road.

The app has a screen for accelerator position---now if you could split screen it :idea:

Regarding Charge-Point and Ecotality (which operates the Blink network) It's my understand that they have filed for bankruptcy. I'm not from the US so have no experience with them this is just news I have picked up online. This is most likely why they couldn't refund your $5 ;)

On our Au/jap spec Imievs we have D,C,B modes. C mode has the least regen braking B is the strongest and D is in the middle. It's interesting to see your E mode has stronger Regen than your D mode. I was under the impression your E mode was the same as our C mode.

I should get my Bluetooth obd scanner later this week. I picked up a new nexus 7 last week so should have some data to share/compare over the weekend. The Nexus 7 V2 is a perfect fit for the double din location on the Imiev. I only had a very basic double din cd player fitted to my imiev from the factory. So I will custom mount the Nexus 7 as my double din media player. Sending audio to a direct Bluetooth 4 Chanel amp.

9830388173_9bc7e416cb.jpg

9830280304_716d71f9c2.jpg

Kurt

Tested it a little bit with my i-MiEV 2012 (Norwegian/EU-model), Samsung Galaxy Nexus and an OBDLINK MX.

Noticed a few things:
  • When starting the app, it flickers through all the different screens it seems.
  • Sometimes, the app crashes, not sure if it's due to bluetooth issues on my phone or the app.
  • When I turn off the ESP, this isn't reflected in Canion, anyone else experience this?

But all in all, a great app for checking out things in more detail.

Hello there

I have a request. Can some one who has canion running do a charge on the L1 oem charger and tell me what the amps in is measuring please. Then try the L1 with preheat and see what the amps in are also.

I am reading 1.2 battery amps with the L1 charger but it reads 2.2 with preheat.

If that's right the L1 OEM is only about 500 watts.

Perhaps someone with a killawatt meter could do this also. That would mean a not so efficient charger in the car.

Thanks in advance

Don......

It's not that the vehicle's charger is inefficient but more that the charge rate allowed by the supplied EVSE is so low that other fixed loads impact what actually goes into the battery. Regardless of how you charge, L1, L2, or L3 certain things are drawing power from the battery--at a fixed level. The car's computers are awake, the DC-DC converter is running supplying power to run accessories. The coolant pump (300 watt load) is cycling, etc. This impacts the actual charge rate much more at low charge levels then at higher levels and has no relationship to how efficient the charger actually is. It costs much less to charge the car at a rate that will operate the vehicle's charger at it's maximum output.

I noticed (now that I'm using preheat again) that the heater WILL pull some power from the battery. What you have to watch for is that charging/regen shows amps and kW as a negative number, and usage as a positive number.

I'm seeing about 500 watts actually making it to the battery on L1 OEM EVSE. I haven't checked it while preheating yet to see what it says. Yesterday after fully charging and preheating for 20 minutes, I left the house with 94% SOC and lost my first bar after 2 miles (1st bar drops at 92%, I think the second bar at 86%, so the first bar definitely contains more energy than the second bar).

DonDakin said:
I have a request. Can someone who has canion running do a charge on the L1 oem charger and tell me what the amps in is measuring please. Then try the L1 with preheat and see what the amps in are also.
I have been meaning to test preheating at Level 1 vs. Level 2. I was waiting for a nice cold morning.

My initial impressions using Canion are:
Preheating at L2 uses very little battery charge.
Preheating at L1 uses more battery charge.

RobbW said:
I would love it if I could feel with my foot that the accelerator was exactly in the middle and corresponded with the middle line/bar at the top of the power meter....without having to take my eyes off the road.

Indeed- I've cogitated on adding a spring (sleeved in heat-shrink so it won't snag anything) below the pedal that isn't touched until you hit throttle midpoint. That would add a progressive feel to the go pedal.

Many gas cars have such a feature. My wife's '92 civic had such strong resistance in the second half of pedal travel that she didn't even know that it existed, until I started driving her car. The first time that old civvy automatic downshifted two gears to speed up a hill, she cried out- "What are you doing to my car!". :twisted:

The aforementioned throttle modification involves significant risk of unintended acceleration or failure to decelerate, and should only be undertaken by those who possess the requisite skills and life insurance policies.

The biggest obstacle would be figuring out how to mark where the center line position of the accelerator is in reference to the top/center mark on the power meter. The power meter only works when you're actually driving, and I doubt it would be safe to try and reach down to mark the position while you're driving!

Love the fine print, BTW. CYA!

JoeS said:
I've ordered a Hisense Sero Pro 7 tablet for myself. So nice to see what's going on inside our Mitsi - love this app! I'm sure we'll have separate threads to discuss the specific readings we find, as I'm already surprised at some of them.
I still haven't received my Android tablet, but had noted a number of anomalies in the very brief test I made. In order for us to find things in the future, should we perhaps start new threads on specific subjects, perhaps prefacing the title with "Canion", and leaving this thread as Canion application and Bluetooth OBD specific? I can see that a whole new world has opened up to us.

DonDakin, your post is excellent, and I'm inclined to move it and start a new thread on all these discoveries you've made. Comments?

EDIT: The post I was referring to has been moved to the Batteries subforum and titled Canion Battery Readings. Hopefully this will make the subject easier to find in the future.

I'm running Canion on a 2013 nexus 7 tablet with a scan tool OBDlink MX scanner. The Bluetooth connection seems a little temperamental. Last night I was logging a 105km trip and around 1/2 way through the trip I noticed 0 fps :cry: I had lost the connection. In the end after restarting the app a few times. The only way I could get it to reconnect was pull the OBDlink scanner out and plug it back in again and then restart the app.

It has happened a few times now some times after just 2 min of driving other times its ran fine for 2hrs. Had anyone had the same issues? I did read something about the latest version of android jellybean was messing with Bluetooth reliability though I havn't had issues other Bluetooth devises.

Also is there anyway to save the trip data?

Kurt

Hi Kurt,
Hope you don't mind as I moved your post over to here from the Canion Battery Readings thread as it is applicable to the Canion application itself rather than the analysis/discussion of the battery readings. Sorry I can't help answer your question, as I'm still waiting for my much-delayed Android tablet delivery.

I noticed a couple of times mine would hang/ disconnect. I ended up pulling the adapter and plugging it back in. Also, I force closed the app and reset the Bluetooth on the phone and that fixed it.

Might also need to watch not to push the button on the link. Made that mistake before on a network switch, took half of a remote office out for 10 minutes. :shock: :eek: :? :oops: ---> :mrgreen:

I'm having a lot of issues now with Canion over the weekend on my nexus 7 v2 . Its now very slow to load and when it dose finaly load and you try and swipe to another scan screen like temp or voltage is just freezes up. Even when you just have it on the log screen and don't try and move it drops the connection randomly very frustrating.

I'm not sure if this is a nexus 7 issue though but at the moment Canion is unusable on it. I even tried deleting the app and reinstalling it no luck. Funny it wasn't that slow when I first installed it but it did drop Bluetooth a lot.

Edit: I just wiped the nexus 7 clean and reinstall just canion. The app loads as normal now( Bluetooth still a little flaky) I am wondering if once a little bit of driving is done and data is logged if the app will become slow again.

Kurt

Did you check for android updates on the tablet? I noticed android has a tendency to fall apart if it doesn't get updated. But updating too often breaks things too. I usually wait until something breaks before I update.

Yes I checked for updates. Kills me to say it but I get the feeling android in general is a little less stable that apple products. I was under the impression the nexus 7 v2 was a reasonable tablet but its been a real shock working with it After owning a iPhone and ipad. At times it's a real thing of beauty but at other times you feel like returning it and using the Ipad that just works even though it might be inferior on paper its very stable and sorted.

I will stick with it for a while.

Kurt

Back