What's the best <1000€ home EVSE

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zelenec

I'm looking for reliable and smart EVSE for home charging. So far I like most Etrel home charger, which seems to be quite adaptable to different charging scenarios. It's just on the border of acceptable prices. Comments on this EVSE or any suggestion? Could I get more for the money somewhere else?

I do not know what you mean exactly with "smart EVSE"

I know of a few quite cheaper chargers, one very basic, Spanish, about 500 euros, can select 10 and 16A and a very flexible, Italian, where you can select 6A, 8A, 10A, 13A, 16A, 19A, 22A, 26A, 30A (although your car will never get 15A, tomorrow can feed a Leaf :D ), about 600 euros.

Both are portable and can be fixed to the wall, and incorporates the J1772 cable.

But they do not interact with your home network to give you information, and are not programmable.

Ah, OK.

I monitor domestic consumption with another system, but it is easy to know what is caused for the car (right, recharging from 2 to 16 bars, 4 hours for the charge and another for equalize)

f0322c46efd66859d74dce22cc07af8eo.png

I use the EVSE standard and an external timer.

It's not the matter of metering or monitoring, but automatic adjustment of charging power according to the home electricity network capacity. For example, if when charging I turn on any major consumer (e.g. induction cooker), the charger automatically reduces the charging power. Furthermore you can set adjustable timer with different charging power ... etc. I think such functions are very welcome, but still haven't found any similar products to compare pricese and functionality.

Etrel's website said:
The charging power can be automatically adjusted according to other electricity consumers (such as larger domestic appliances) connected to the home installation. A special current measurement device needs to be installed in the main distribution cabinet after the distribution energy meter to enable flexible power management. Installing the device is easy since communication with the home charger is established with the use of existing power cables. Flexible power management ensures that your vehicle will never overload the installation or cause overcurrent-based failures.

The linked products are just wallboxes without any "smart" function.

EDIT: I found some advanced functions. Digging deeper...

Another:

http://www.circutor.com/docs/sistemav-gb-de-cat.pdf

...In addition, management of the demand allows the connection of the vehicle recharge system, making sure that it does not exceed the contracted power limit (preventing circuit breaker trips).
In the case of the most demanding users that require additional information, a computer can be connected via RS-485 cables, Ethernet, etc...

Back