Timed charging with SONOFF POW

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarno83

Hi, I have a question about type-1 charging with oem home charger.
Is it ok to use sonoff (POW 20A or 25A module) ) to switch charging on and off based of electricity price per hour in my region.
Does it do harm to car or charger if power is cut while charging? Anybody using it like that?

Thanks,
Jarno

Hi, I have a question about type-1 charging with oem home charger.
Is it ok to use sonoff (POW 20A or 25A module) ) to switch charging on and off based of electricity price per hour in my region.
Does it do harm to car or charger if power is cut while charging? Anybody using it like that?

Thanks,
Jarno
While it’s never a good idea to remove a load under current, there doesn’t seem to be any (immediate) adverse effect as many owners can attest.

Usually this method is used to avail of cheap night tariffs and therefore the switching off under load happens only about once per 24h. I expect a higher frequency in your case, therefore best to interrupt the pilot signal rather than mains voltage similar to below

Ok, good to know. Then the plan would be to modify the oem charger cp line so it will go through sonoff or shelly or similar. Thanks

Hi Jarno,

Unfortunately do not use a switch to load charger while in use. You will damage on board charging circuit.

Fortunately, you can emulate switch behavior (the one located on the charging connector).

A relay can emulate the charging connector switch. It means that when charger is plugged to the car, while the switch is pressed nothing will happen. When relay disconnect it emulate a switch release allowing charging

If EV is charging it will safely shut off the load.

Open your charger, locate pin 4 and 5, and close it with a 1.3k ohm resistor in serie (best is to verify resistor value within the switch or charger PCB).

See here for plug pinout:

http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/i-miev/online/Service_Manual/2015/54/html/M154955300005201ENG.HTM

See section 'Check on regular charging connector built-in switch'.

An illustration J1772-1.png

Hi Jarno,

Unfortunately do not use a switch to load charger while in use. You will damage on board charging circuit.

Fortunately, you can emulate switch behavior (the one located on the charging connector).

A relay can emulate the charging connector switch. It means that when charger is plugged to the car, while the switch is pressed nothing will happen. When relay disconnect it emulate a switch release allowing charging

If EV is charging it will safely shut off the load.

Open your charger, locate pin 4 and 5, and close it with a 1.3k ohm resistor in serie (best is to verify resistor value within the switch or charger PCB).

See here for plug pinout:

http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/i-miev/online/Service_Manual/2015/54/html/M154955300005201ENG.HTM

See section 'Check on regular charging connector built-in switch'.

An illustration View attachment 678
Hi, thanks for your reply. Probably I end up doing a diy smart charger. There are some projects but haven’t found a perfect one yet. 😀

Back