Thumb-button on Type 1 EVSE Plug.

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael8554

When my EVSE is plugged into my 2014 Outlander PHEV (16A max), the charging relay doesn't "thud" until I release the thumb-button.

On my 2011 euro MIEV, the charging relay "thuds" as soon as the plug is inserted, the button makes no difference.

The circuit diagram shows connection to Pin 4, which the thumb switch is connected to.

Any thoughts please ?

But the button doesn't stop the MIEV charging, does the PHEV.
If you push S3, R7 is added to the circuit which in turn changes the voltage level on pp IN which signals “stop charging” to the car.

1718633054759.jpeg
As the cable seems to be working fine on the Outlander I suspect the issue being on the IMIEV side:

1718634173323.jpeg

You can monitor voltage levels on the EV-ECU pin 103, see if there is a change when pressing the button.

Last edited:
Our good friend and forum member @coulomb reported about the trigger action for the Laef--that it causes the OBC to drop the output current, but kept the EVSE engaged. Then charging resumes when the trigger is released. This would allow for reading the no-load pack and cell voltages with laefspy during the intermission. Or could be used as a time marker when recording a time history.

i would guess that is the action of the PHEV but someone would need to check and verify that this is true.

It seems to me to be a software programming decision on how to read and interpret the trigger button press, and what action to take. Meiv vs PHEV vs Laef vs Tesla...

Last edited:
It seems to me to be a software programming decision on how to read and interpret the trigger button press, and what action to take. Meiv vs PHEV vs Laef vs Tesla...
My 2011 built I-MIEV stops charging when pressing the trigger button and release the plug.

But @kiev and @coulomb are correct, if you just press and hold the button with the plug in situ, the car merely interrupts the charge and resumes the process when one let’s go of it.

None of that seems to happen in @michael8554 ‘s case though..

i think my 2012 meiv will disconnect the EVSE if you press the trigger, and won't reconnect unless you withdraw the plug and put it in again-- but someone should check me on that to be sure.

Maybe it is just the type of handle i have that pushes the handle back when the trigger is pressed? My EVSE seems to have a somewhat spring-loaded handle.

Maybe 2011 has different response?

The early LEAF's failure to interrupt charging with the thumb button resulted in some arcing during 'hot disconnects' and wore out both inlets and handles. My 2016 KIA SOUL is the same (so we try not to unplug it mid-session).

Back