Single Phase Charger

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

behaluka

Good Day

I've been mostly charging my I-Miev at home without really checking how fast it actually charged.
But I recently installed a power meter and realized, that it only draws 1.5kW at 230V.
I've been looking around in the documentation and I realized that it's supposed to be charging at 3.7kW.
Have I overlooked something? What could I change for it to charge faster?

Thanks!

It's this charger that came with the car. I see on the back that it's rated for 8A but with the 1.5kW I'm only at 6.
So I can't really expect much of it huh..
For how much is the onboard charger actually rated?
PXL_20240909_181537755.jpg

PXL_20240909_181546103.jpg

You’re right, the OBC is rated around 3.6kWh, however it won’t ‘charge’ at that rate as there are conversion losses and other loads (12V DC/DC and electronics).

One sure way to extend the lifespan of your OBC is to go ‘easy’ on it, i.e. charge with a low current.

You’re right, the OBC is rated around 3.6kWh, however it won’t ‘charge’ at that rate as there are conversion losses and other loads (12V DC/DC and electronics).

One sure way to extend the lifespan of your OBC is to go ‘easy’ on it, i.e. charge with a low current.
yeah i guess for now i will leave it because it wasn't really a problem before I noticed it :D
I'm still a bit confused because i'm reading the 1.5kW before the 12V losses and such.. so the actual traction battery charges even slower?

Why don't you buy an EVSE with adjustable current? There are many of those on Aliexpress, pls remeber to select the one with Type 1 plug

Yeah I see those and i'm thinking about buying one but considering the amount of broken OBC posts in this forum I might just keep chugging along with the 1.5kW :)

Back