New Battery Pack at 2,000 Miles

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mradtke said:
Could it simply have been a defective pack?
In my humble, uneducated opinion, I'm pretty sure the handful of pack failures I've read about are exactly that - An 88 cell pack which experiences even the failure of one single cell will eventually require the entire pack to be replaced. If you sell a thousand cars with 88 cells in each of them, a handful of defective cells in those 88,000 is to be expected, I think

I'm sure when the defective 'pack' gets back to Mitsubishi, they analyze it and replace the one or two cells and they do something with the repaired pack - Could be that some of their replacement packs are actually recycled low miles packs which have been repaired and tested

I really doubt that anything any user is doing will cause any pack to fail in the first few thousand miles . . . . I suspect all of those are just packs with a bad cell which were going to fail anyway

But, to reiterate Joe's position - I want to drive my car for 200,000 miles if possible, so I'll never treat it 'like any other car'. I will always do whatever I can that I *think* might be better for the battery - It's not a major inconvenience for me and hopefully it will pay off in extended battery life once we're beyond the factory 100K warranty

Don

I live in Phoenix as well and have been quite surprised with how much range this car can get. I use this as my daily driver and generally plug it in daily with most days getting down to almost half charge remaining. Usually once a week I get down to just a couple of bars left, I haven't had any issues. I have a level 2 Siemens charger that has worked flawlessly.

The only challenges to date have been my killing the 12v battery which happened in the second day I had it and one other time, good news is the jumper battery pack works fast and I'm back on the road.

Fwiw I keep the car in my garage without AC at home and under a carport at work. I occasionally drive on the freeway but mostly surface streets.

Back