General maintenance?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orleans

We've had our lovely little 2012 for two years and I was thinking it might be a good idea to bring it in for just some general maintenance? I've never owned a car this old, let alone an EV, and our our car is a newish Bolt that's never needed anything. Wondering what you all do and if there's anything specific I should ask them to check/clean/etc. About 61500 km on it. Thanks!

We've had our lovely little 2012 for two years and I was thinking it might be a good idea to bring it in for just some general maintenance? I've never owned a car this old, let alone an EV, and our our car is a newish Bolt that's never needed anything. Wondering what you all do and if there's anything specific I should ask them to check/clean/etc. About 61500 km on it. Thanks!
In another thread you also mentioned:
What have you done about the exclamation point? Mine is coming on occasionally now too but it otherwise operates/drives/charges fine. Was kind of assuming it's the 12v but maybe the light just does that? I've only had it two years so I'm still not super familiar with the quirks.

Orleans, I seem to recall that you are in Canada, the land where slush and snow and grit and salt get into everything under the car. I'll let others from that part of the world make suggestions, as one thing I'd be concerned with is keeping the linkage for the shifter clean and lubricated, and I don't know if Mitsu Service would even do that routinely.

Indeed, you identified the origin of the majority of issues with the i-MiEV: the health of the 12v battery. In your shoes (especially as it is now winter), after the car has been sitting all night and before even 'starting' the car, I would check the no-load voltage at the battery terminals (I wouldn't want to see a number below ~12.2vdc). Also, I'd subject the battery to a load test for about 15 seconds to ensure the voltage doesn't sag inordinately.

This is a twelve-year-old car and there's a Maintenance Schedule that came with the car that imprudently I'm personally remiss in following religiously. Perhaps others can chime in?

Wow! Good memory! I'll see if they can do that, clean the sensors. The shifter doesn't stick like other people complain about, but it's often set off the exclamation point in D. And I clearly need to buy a multimeter. How long does the 12v normally last on the i-Miev? Also, even if the fluids aren't down to the line, might it be a good idea to flush them occasionally and have them refilled? Oh, I just googled the maintenance schedule and it says every 240 months, which I suppose is around now, even if there aren't that many km on it.

Thanks for all your help. Not really a car person, but happy to have not used any gas for five years!

My car seems to trigger the ! Because it’s not detecting neutral properly.

I had assumed it was the equivalent of the neutral safety switch or something and was going to mention it when I am in at the dealer in the spring.

Cleaning the linkage is probably a good idea. Thanks.

That's basically what's happening with mine, except it's when it's in park. Start/operates fine, but if it's in park for more than five seconds, the light comes on. Annoying but hopefully not a real issue.

I don't know if it's the same on the North American model, but the "gear selector" indexing can be adjusted on the gearbox, by rotating the mounting plate on the shaft that goes into the gearbox. There are alignment notches, or alignment holes. If that doesn't work then slight offset one way or the other may work.

Back