EVSE not charging

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinner

Hi there!

My original Mitsubishi EVSE type 1 got damaged by lighting.

Since I can not easily find a type 1 charger, I bought the following type 2 charger:
16A_charger.jpg

I tried to charge my Outlander PHEV with my Type 1 to Type 2 cable and it will not work.

Then I replaced the connector with my original type 1 ( it had 4 leads as the type 2 of this charger)

I got the status: connected - blinking but no cigar.

Is there a handsake or something I am missing?

Thank you.

Its really not hard to get a used charger instead of getting a cheap rebuild one that fails quickly because of bad quality parts.
Does the car after the lighting charge with other chargers or on a public charging station?

And yes, you can swap a type2 plug for a type1 plug. In general you do not have to care about the type1-release-button. Its already implemented in the charger specification and should work. I swapped a type2 for a type1 plug on a special charger i liked to use and its working perfectly fine.

Yes, the car charges on public stations.
It was not connected to the charger at home when the lighting occured.

The original charger got some MOV burned inside and is trippin the breaker when connected to the house electricity.

Used original EVSE chargers are here over 350 eur which seems too much - for 500 eur I can buy a proper charging station.

Hi there!

My original Mitsubishi EVSE type 1 got damaged by lighting.
Was it tethered to type 1 connector you swapped?
I tried to charge my Outlander PHEV with my Type 1 to Type 2 cable and it will not work.
Can you clarify, do the connections not fit or all fits fine but no charge?
I got the status: connected - blinking but no cigar.
Did you try and change current settings before you plug it in? What do the LEDs show before/after you plug in:
1720076094800.jpeg

Hi MickeyS70!
I tried to open this chinese charger to replace the charging cable and connector in one go - but it is really not meant to be opened :/

So in my hurry I just cut the cord near the evse and made the connection to the OEM evse cable + connector.

4 wires inside: N PE L1 and the smaller signal one.

Before plugging in the status is "Stand by" - just the power light is ON.
After plugging in the car the status is "Waiting for connection" - the power light is ON and the Connect light is flashing.

I tried with 8A 10A 16A, same result.

I think you're just going to have to put an oscilloscope on the control pilot wire (maybe not so hard with the reconnection?), and figure out why it's not getting to state C (charging).

https://openev.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000052074-basics-of-sae-j1772

Perhaps check that the resistance from the proximity pilot to protective earth is correct, both with the switch pressed and when not pressed (i.e. that the resistors and switch are still working in the plug). It seems very unlikely, but maybe that was the problem all along?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772#Proximity_Pilot

It seems very unlikely, but maybe that was the problem all along? :unsure:o_O:D
I wouldn’t go as far as a micro switch in the handle causing the house breaker to trip but at the end of the day there are only 3 components in the chain:
- car -> OK, as tested with public charging station
- new EVSE -> could be a dud, if all else fails maybe re-install original cable2 and test
- Type 1 cable/connector -> the only thing left if above checks out…

So in my hurry I just cut the cord near the evse and made the connection to the OEM evse cable + connector.
Are you sure that you made the wiring correctly for L, N, and PE? The EVSE does a current leakage test as part of it's Ground Fault check, also checks for a Ground wire. PE and N reversed might fail the test.

Back