EV Charging in a multi-unit dwelling, or Stuck in the MUD

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archie_b

Charged Electric Vehicle Magazine (Oct/Nov), has an excellent article on the obstacles many EV owners (or prospective owners) face when they live in a multi-unit dwelling. HOAs, convenants, access, payments, insurance issues, and capacity are all discussed in the article. While the article is not currently available on-line, it will be available in about a month when the next issue of Charged comes out.

Anyone interesting in subscribing to Charged can visit the web site at http://www.chargedevs.com . Back issues, other the current issue, are available on the site. This is an excellent magazine about EVs (one of a very few), debuted in January 2012 and published 6 times a year. I highly recommend subscribing.

archie_b said:
Charged Electric Vehicle Magazine (Oct/Nov), has an excellent article on the obstacles many EV owners (or prospective owners) face when they live in a multi-unit dwelling. HOAs, convenants, access, payments, insurance issues, and capacity are all discussed in the article.
I'm fighting these battles now and could use some advice, so this is timely.

archie_b said:
I highly recommend subscribing.
I would like to do so, but because we split our time between the U.S. and Sweden, a traditional subscription to a paper magazine doesn't work for us. I've asked Charged whether an iPad subscription is available after having found nothing about such a subscription on its Website. I'm awaiting a reply…

Stuck in the mud we were and mostly still are.

For the first week we charged at our dealer. Then I took a heart and asked a master of electricity for an extension that could take 16A at 240V. I got one.

I am a hamradio operator with exams and I should be able to do it myself but I had respect for the installation in an old house that is not mine. I have build adapters and I have changed my EVSE from Schuko to CEE and I am glad I did. So I can charge at home now.

15 km away I have 2 public charge points where I can charge flat rate for 36 Euros a year or 40 Euros a year. Living in a condo those public charge points would be the only way to go.

Apparently having an EV in a multi-unit dwelling continues to be an issue for some owners. In this case there was no cost to the landlord and the owner was willing to pay (landlord makes more money) for the ability to use the outlet.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/video?id=8655690

Back