Good Price for a Spare EVSE on eBay

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shifttrans

Not affiliated with the seller but this is a really good price for a new EVSE. Clipper Creek is not the best but it's a 12 amp Level 1 for $300, free shipping. I bought one because I didn't want to be stranded if my OEM EVSE fails. I upgraded my OEM EVSE to Level 1/2 and voided its warranty. I'm sure the Clipper Creek EVSE can not be upgraded. The seller offers a three year warranty and they are a brick and mortar shop in LA and SF. They are modified because they originally had a non-standard EV plug (see description). Seems reputable. I think it hasn't had much interest because they don't have the term "EVSE" in the title (which I have been using as a search term). You normally can't get used EVSEs under $400 even on eBay. MSRP for this thing is about $500.

I will follow up when it arrives and test it, if you want to wait that long. They have 7 left.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clipper-Creek-PCS-15-/251342461674

Standard disclaimers apply ;) -John

shifttrans, thank you for this lead. I ordered one and it will now become my wall-mounted "slow" charging EVSE. My EVSEUpgraded Mitsu EVSE+ adapters will now stay in the car permanently. Besides, one more plug available for visiting EV's.

Hi Folks!

Got the Clipper Creek EVSE today in the mail (pretty quick for free shipping!). It works very well. I measured the current as 11.3 amps which is the same as the upgraded OEM EVSE at level 1 (120V). The upgraded OEM EVSE has the advantage of having the capability to charge at Level 2, but frankly, I have never had the need to. Even at fully discharged, I can bring the level back to full over night (~10-11 hrs).

So this EVSE was cheaper than the cost to upgrade my OEM EVSE which has the same Level 1 performance because of the added round trip shipping costs and the adapter you need to buy to allow Level 1 capabilities. So those who want a nice Level 1 only EVSE that charges about 50% faster than your unmodified OEM EVSE, this is a cheaper and better way to go because you have a backup too!

Here is the contents of the package. The letter explains the 3 year warranty and where to call for help. I think the cable is thicker and longer than the OEM EVSE but it's stiffer and harder to unravel. I also wish the dust cover was rubber. It looks easier to mount on the wall. They have 6 available. I bet they will sell you one if you contact them directly (if you don't do eBay). 800-524-2970

Later! -John

10151375594_3128b16248.jpg

shifttrans said:
Got the Clipper Creek EVSE today in the mail (pretty quick for free shipping!).

Thanks for sharing. This is a great deal! Anyone know how often an EVSE fails? Am wondering if I should pick up a backup. Thanks

I don't believe there is a single recorded case here on the forum of the OEM EVSE ever failing, modified or not . . . . or any other EVSE for that matter. They are basically little more than a computer actuated relay so there's not much in there to go wrong

If I only had $300 to spend, rather than using that for an L1 only back-up I would spend it getting the OEM unit upgraded to L1/L2 @ 12 amps - I think that's the biggest bang for the buck there is

If you can't do the upgrade (leasing the car, etc) then I would spend my money on an aftermarket L1/L2 unit. While I don't use it often, it's been really handy from time to time to be able to recharge in only 5 or 6 hours

Don

My OEM charger died about two months ago.

I never had any problems until one morning when I unplugged and found the car had only recharged about 2/3. Because I am on time of day rates I waited until that evening and then tried L1 again. No charge. Tried my L2 charger, everything worked normal. Tried the L1 in another outlet, still no charge.

Took the unit to the dealer, they said it was defective and replaced it with another L1 unit at no cost. No problems since. No explanation as to what was "defective" (I don't think they even opened the unit). The unit looked good, the cord was in good shape, the plug was fine. It just stopped working in the middle of a charging cycle.

I agree with Don on L2 use. I use my L1 charger 90% of the time. I use the L2 charger primarily on weekends (low rate all day) and cold winter days where pre heating is fully supported on L2.

Don said:
I don't believe there is a single recorded case here on the forum of the OEM EVSE ever failing, modified or not . . . . or any other EVSE for that matter. They are basically little more than a computer actuated relay so there's not much in there to go wrong

If I only had $300 to spend, rather than using that for an L1 only back-up I would spend it getting the OEM unit upgraded to L1/L2 @ 12 amps - I think that's the biggest bang for the buck there is

If you can't do the upgrade (leasing the car, etc) then I would spend my money on an aftermarket L1/L2 unit. While I don't use it often, it's been really handy from time to time to be able to recharge in only 5 or 6 hours

Don

Thanks Don. I got mine upgraded the day after I bought the iMiev. I've never needed to use L2 though and find that upgraded L1 takes care of all of my charging needs.

Will pass on buying an extra though at that price it was tempting.

I think if you already have a separate L2 device, you wouldn't need to buy a backup EVSE. I upgraded my OEM EVSE but then I found out that even after the credits, it was very expensive to wire a new 240v outlet near the car. Since the L1/L2 EVSE upgrade also increased the L1 capability to 12 amps, I've found I have no need for an L2 plug. So I basically spent $350 (includes shipping and L1 adapter) for an L1 upgrade. This CC EVSE allows charging at 12 amps so it's like getting an upgraded L1 device for less than the EVSE upgrade path. And you have a spare! I park outside next to my house and I'm always worried that someone will figure out that an electric car will usually have a quite valuable ($700+) device connected to it that is quite easy to remove. :? Yes, I could lock it or rig some deterrent device which might just slow them down.

So if you...
- are tired of the lame 8 amp charging of the included Mitsubishi EVSE
- don't want to invest in a new expensive 240v L2 outlet (or you can't because you are renting or in an apt complex)
- are ultra careful about your main battery life and want to use L2 only when you have to (yes, this is debatable)
- are considering upgrading your OEM EVSE for $350 to get a 12 amp L1 charging capability (and L2 for future use)
- are concerned that upgrading your OEM EVSE will void its OEM warranty
- are worried that your EVSE might be stolen/lost/broken which will cause you to lose the use of your i-MiEV for a while or pay retail (gasp!) for a quick replacement

...then getting a good 12 amp L1 spare for $300 is a good option!

Later! -John

Back