Why is this vehicle not flying out the doors?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PV1 said:
The Model S has threads for a roof rack hidden under plastic doors, but I haven't seen any for the i yet. As for hauling, mostly just groceries, but sometimes some computers for work. How much length is there from the back to the back of the front seats? (ie, how long of an object can fit inside?)

Not a problem. Groceries for a household is no problem for the i, even with the back seats up. But, if you need more room - back seats down and you get a nice flat cargo area. You could stack quite a few computers back in there. I don't know the distance between the liftgate and the front seats but I'd have to say at least 4'-5'. Length of an item is not an issue either, you can always put the front passenger seat down and load it up - let things stick out the back and tie the liftgate down. I've done that with many, many of the small cars I've driven. I've taken home lumber, pipes and even a shower kit one time on the roof of my VW Jetta Wagon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7KFALAbCaU Check out this review on YouTube, there is good shot of the rear section of the i-MiEV. Just remember they are reviewing a non-NA i-MiEV which are 4" narrower and 11" shorter than those found in US and Canada. The review is very positive, too.

Roof Racks - http://www.prolineracks.com/malone-mpg452-handirack-inflatable-roof-rack.html Thule and Yakima list the i-MiEV in there fitment guides, but do not have any solutions available. A universal rack like this inflatable one might be the way to go. I wouldn't keep a roof rack permanently mounted unless you want to affect your aerodynamics.

PV1 said:
The Model S has threads for a roof rack hidden under plastic doors, but I haven't seen any for the i yet.

I take that back, here you go:

Woody_Mitsubishi_i_2011_LA_Auto_Show.jpg

Cute, but I remember reading about this show car at the time, and the rack isn't functional. If you look closely, you'll see it's just carrying a couple of miniature surfboards to complete the beach wagon effect. It's a good illusion, at least in photographs - you have to look hard and keep in mind the scale of what you're looking at (it's a very small car, after all) to catch the trick. Carrying full-size surfboards atop the i would be impractical, to say the least, and perhaps unsafe.

Back