Why is this vehicle not flying out the doors?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aarond12 said:
Given the relative lack of popularity of hatchbacks in the US overall, adding the word "electric" to "hatchback" has got to be a bad combination. Some of us really like the flexibility of a hatchback: Much of the flexibility of a SUV but with the fuel economy and size of a car.
I road my motorcycle to the dealer in the morning to buy the vehicle then road home and got a bicycle and road to the Metro Station and took the Metrorail downtown and road my bike the rest of the way back to the dealership where I took the front wheel off my Bianchi and put it in the back of the i-MiEv and drove home :D

JoeS said:
MLucas said:
I don't know what this talk is about the i MiEV not being friendly to highways. I drive mine everyday on a 54 mile round trip commute to work with 90% highway. Last night I drove home with a winter storm advisory with 50mph wind gusts. No problem whatsoever and not much different than my Nissan Versa, well actually I think the Mitsubishi does a bit better....
MLucas, I agree with you wholeheartedly and I have no idea why the un-factual perception that this isn't a good highway vehicle still persists. I also drive my iMiEV a lot on the freeways where traffic moves well in excess of the legal 65mph, especially in the HOV lane for which we have a special sticker to drive in solo. Unless I'm going to be pushing the iMiEV's range limit, I drive the iMiEV with no reservations and especially enjoy running away from the traffic following me on freeway onramps.

While my experience with my I has me agreeing with you, here is yet another negative review about our Miev on acceleration...
http://green.autoblog.com/2013/02/01/real-world-electric-vehicle-test-easily-beats-epa-ratings/

Thanks for that link Sandage,

It's really interesting to see that the iMiev gets great efficiency marks, it looks like the Honda fit is the only better car of the bunch in the same price class. In the range test the leaf beat the iMiev by only 6 miles which is less then 10 % but the leafs battery is 50% larger then the iMiev's.

Realistically, a lot of the tested cars are not available to purchase. So given that the only real choice for most of us was the iMiev or the leaf I think the iMiev did fantastic in this test.

I mentioned this somewhere else on this list but I think that excessive acceleration and range for most EV's just don't go together. So for me the acceleration of the iMiev is plenty for the what you use it for.

I would say that this test shows the iMiev in a really good light.

For sure you will always get big mileage numbers from a big battery. That's the "brute force" method and it has it's perks. But when it comes to elegant solutions I think the iMiev really shines. Way to go......

Don

sandange, thank you for posting this link and it was nice to see independently-derived numbers - interesting that the acceleration number almost matches CR despite my own perception that she's quicker.

Their range test was a nice exercise, and I often have to wonder what would happen if you turned some hypermilers loose to do this… I still remember an economy run a few years back where I did only 105.7mpg with my Gen1 Insight but the guy who won did around 180mpg in a completely stock Insight! Having made a number of longer trips in the Leaf, I've considered the Leaf and the iMiEV quite comparable from a range standpoint. For most people's everyday driving, the difference just doesn't matter and I wish there were some way of quickly infusing this concept when talking with interested bystanders.

DonDakin, I agree with you that our little iMiEV is such an elegantly efficient transportation solution, in more ways than one. :!:

BTW

257 iMievs sold in Jan 2013..... :shock:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1082062_jan-plug-in-electric-car-sales-volt-falls-leaf-supply-woes

The winds of change are blowing.....

Don......

I don't understand the point of these range tests. All produced EVs today will more than accomplish the average daily commute. These tests are focusing on the wrong purpose of an EV. They are not long haul highway tourers and aren't meant to be that either. There role is to accomplish the basic daily driving every one does every day. All they are doing is exacerbating the 'range anxiety' issue further which as we all know on this forum becomes a non-issue within a few weeks after ownership. The Tesla Model S proves that if you want this long range touring car, you are going to have to pay a lot for it. The Mitsubishi I MiEV proves that it doesn't have to cost a whole lot to make the car we all really need.

MLucas said:
I don't understand the point of these range tests. All produced EVs today will more than accomplish the average daily commute. These tests are focusing on the wrong purpose of an EV. They are not long haul highway tourers and aren't meant to be that either. There role is to accomplish the basic daily driving every one does every day. All they are doing is exacerbating the 'range anxiety' issue further which as we all know on this forum becomes a non-issue within a few weeks after ownership. The Tesla Model S proves that if you want this long range touring car, you are going to have to pay a lot for it. The Mitsubishi I MiEV proves that it doesn't have to cost a whole lot to make the car we all really need.
MLucas, thank you for so clearly putting the range discussion into its proper perspective.

Edit 2 Feb.2013: Deleted comment about acceleration

JoeS said:
MLucas, thank you for so clearly putting the range discussion into its proper perspective.

I'm seeing more and more of these 'range tests' and they are driving me nuts. Along with the 0-60 times! Am I buying a Carrera? No, so it doesn't matter at all. As long as it scoots along nicely and keeps up with traffic, I really don't give a hoot about the 0-60 time. What nonsense! These journalist if they aren't being paid by the petrol companies, should be - because they are helping to keep EVs from becoming the mainstream vehicles on the roads today.

I agree the 0-60mph stuff is highly misleading. Like others here, I've merged into and navigated through freeway traffic quite comfortably, probably because in real life people don't drive like they're at the test track. So rather than out of fear, I've learned to avoid freeways as I've become more range aware, not because I often test range limits, but because managing range has made me aware of the needless waste of hopping on a freeway when 45mph surface streets will do (and aesthetically, I've just come to enjoy the quiet).

And yeah, I did just say "range" a lot there, which is why I must differ with those reacting to range tests so negatively. Range matters a lot in terms of qualifying buyers. Indulge me while I belabor the obvious for a bit, because the tone of some comments here make me think the "obvious" is what we're forgetting.

BEVs aren't Volts, folks - when the juice is gone, you're on the side of the road waiting for a flat bed (or for the Charging Fairy to drive up in her mythical mobile CHAdeMO chariot), not switching to that ICE range extender you don't have. Apart from DC QuickCharging (and its attendant risks/costs), our cars consume energy much faster than we can add it back, the exact opposite of ICE vehicles. For all the happy talk about opportunity charging, the hard fact is we can only "top up" range to the tune of about 10 miles per hour of charge time with L2 EVSE, maybe half that if we must depend on the kindness of strangers to let us borrow a 110 outlet for our portable L1 EVSE. If we're talking about buying today, we're talking about charging at home and work, and most of us can't realistically count on charging at work.

Of course, if you think about it for more than a minute, things are worse than that. Spouting statistics about people driving only 30 miles a day might feel good, but it ignores two big problems, both rooted in the fact that such statistics are of necessity based on aggregates and averages. First off, lots of folks do drive more than 30 miles a day, and range is something they need to think hard about. Second, covering one's "typical" day is not enough - you need to take into account the most that the car is likely to be asked to do, including infrequent or unusual errands. Because a BEV's range is very real and inflexible (see "BEVs aren't Volts" above), these are not minor quibbles. Unless you have an ICE car in your household fleet to switch/swap when needed, you'd better be very, very sure you have an accurate picture of your driving needs before committing to a BEV.

The EV hobbyist mentality that motivates some of us to see just how far we can go in a day via opportunity charging is all well and good, but it's a level of bother that most people won't tolerate. Worse, beg/borrow/steal from the outlet behind the convenience store is a model that doesn't scale for crap, worth approximately nothing in the broader mission of reducing our transportation system's carbon footprint (if that's what's motivating you).

Range matters. A car with a 60 mile range is suitable for fewer buyers than a car with a 100 mile range. Even though we've decided a 60-mile car more than meets our needs, let's keep in mind that's a decision we've made based on our particular circumstances. Not everyone's in the same boat.

Vike said:
Even though we've decided a 60-mile car more than meets our needs, let's keep in mind that's a decision we've made based on our particular circumstances.
That being said, I'm making a 52 mile roundtrip journey tomorrow... the longest trip yet. 100% freeways. There's a Blink L2 charger across the street from my work, so I'll top the car off before my journey. I also have 8 different charging locator apps on my iPhone. Overkill? :lol: Even with that fact that I'll be nearing my single-charge max distance, I still feel confident. Not confident enough to leave the L1 charger at home though... :D

aarond12 said:
... I'm making a 52 mile roundtrip journey tomorrow... the longest trip yet. 100% freeways.
arrond12, just keep your speed down and don't turn your heater on (until the homestretch) and you'll be just fine. For further peace-of-mind, take a portable GPS with you and preprogram your trip so you know the exact distance left to go so you can compare it with your RR display.

Vike said:
Range matters....
Gosh, Vike, very well (and forcefully) written. I especially liked your pointing out that national averages don't tell the full story. Speaking of which, with the national average of 2.28 cars per household,

http://www.autospies.com/news/Study-Fin ... old-26437/

my discussions with interested bystanders usually center around showing them the feasibility of at least one of their cars being a full BEV. In my area, the atrocious public transportation infrastructure and distances between destinations means most everyone is forced to drive and has their own vehicle.

Funniest reaction I've had was when talking with a good friend who owns a Saab and who a few years ago had splurged on a Lexus hybrid SUV for his wife, when I pointed out that for the rare occasion he needs to exceed the BEV range he could simply take that SUV - his wife piped up and allowed as that would be over her dead body!

Many a lively talk over the dinner table with (innumerate) friends has ended with "Yes, we just did the math and, whereas you've just shown me that our family could easily live with one of our cars being a 100% electric vehicle, I ain't going to do it because I'm not comfortable with the concept of owning a car that is able to only go 60 miles (100km)."

As most of us have come to understand, 'Range' is something that one becomes comfortable with over time, but to convey that point, especially to skeptics, is indeed hard.

The 'green' aspect of electric cars seems not to have penetrated the public psyche in giving them the desire to do something about it, despite their ICE being such a large contributor to their own carbon footprint.

Our ridiculously-low operating cost arguments don't seem to have much influence, as the crowd that purchases new vehicles is already accommodating the existing ICE operating costs.

Vike, to further support your argument, I'm finding that, with the increasing popularity of PHEVs, access to the public charging infrastructure is becoming unreliable, and I now find myself rarely venturing outside my "range" unless I'm visiting friends and know I can plug into their garage (usually dryer) outlets - just like the EV 'old days'; however, that minimally impacts the utility of our iMiEV, as we still easily rack up 1,000 miles (1,600km) per month.

Thanks JoeS - and many good points here, particularly that there are relatively few one-car households. Then again....

JoeS said:
Funniest reaction I've had was when talking with a good friend who owns a Saab and who a few years ago had splurged on a Lexus hybrid SUV for his wife, when I pointed out that for the rare occasion he needs to exceed the BEV range he could simply take that SUV - his wife piped up and allowed as that would be over her dead body!
Ouch. No accounting for family dynamics, but yeah, that couple's dysfunction makes your Saab owner a fleet of one, and not a good BEV candidate. This does reinforce my prejudice about Lexus hybrid owners, though - not so green in fact as the image they like to project. Not confusing them with drivers of hybrid Chevy Suburbans, but still.

JoeS said:
Many a lively talk over the dinner table with (innumerate) friends has ended with "Yes, we just did the math and, whereas you've just shown me that our family could easily live with one of our cars being a 100% electric vehicle, I ain't going to do it because I'm not comfortable with the concept of owning a car that is able to only go 60 miles (100km)."
I still don't get this. My theory is that the range-limited EV doesn't support the American "open road" fantasy - the idea that you can just head off into the sunset with gas money in your pocket and drive 'til you hit ocean. Of course, approximately none of us ever do that - but the ICE car's ability to just trundle along with a couple of stops a day to slurp in some petro-feed is at the heart of that fantasy, and perhaps that's just emotionally too hard to give up.

JoeS said:
Our ridiculously-low operating cost arguments don't seem to have much influence, as the crowd that purchases new vehicles is already accommodating the existing ICE operating costs.
Perhaps, but I think there's a broad tendency to downplay the magnitude of the savings, either by overestimating electricity costs or glossing over fuel and maintenance costs. I think there's a major hangover from the hybrid experience. Nothing but the Prius ever came close to justifying its purchase price in terms of fuel dollars saved, especially as ICE fuel economy has become the focus of recent engineering improvements. Of course, hybrids are at least as expensive to maintain, if not more so (ask anyone who's had to replace a Prius auxiliary battery). For some reason, folks just assume that EV-related savings will prove to be just as elusive, but there's no good reason for this. Unless one lives someplace where electricity is particularly dear, you're gonna whack 2/3 off your fuel cost alone, likely more. Maintenance, as we know, is something of a pleasant joke.

I'll acknowledge that the whole battery longevity thing is a major unknown, and for the few people paying close attention to facts, Nissan's handling of their cooked batteries in Arizona has not been confidence-inspiring (last I heard they're sort of doing the right things, but only after generating months of bad PR). And because what this really comes down to is less range in later years than in year 1 of ownership, we're right back to range again. The less range you truly need, the longer you can plan on keeping your BEV as its range gradually declines.

JoeS said:
Vike, to further support your argument, I'm finding that, with the increasing popularity of PHEVs, access to the public charging infrastructure is becoming unreliable, and I now find myself rarely venturing outside my "range" unless I'm visiting friends and know I can plug into their garage (usually dryer) outlets...
I've monitored discussions of this, and even allowing for my bias as a BEV owner, I cannot fathom why PHEV drivers think it's ok to tie up a public charger, potentially blocking BEVs, when they don't need them to get home.

I'm afraid the situation argues against free charge points, since I think most payment schemes would sort things out naturally (any fee worth collecting would probably cost a Volt owner more than just paying for gasoline, so why bother?). Otherwise, PHEVs could easily destroy the value of public chargers, taking their few sips of free juice from the line, then sitting there like a dog in a manger. There's already ample evidence that goodwill alone isn't getting the job done. So you're right - unless something is done soon to better prioritize access, PHEVs may crowd BEVs out of the public charge points, effectively neutralizing the very infrastructure that would make BEVs more broadly viable. In that scenario, far from being a technology "bridge" to BEVs, PHEVs might actually help smother them in the cradle. I'd never thought of that. Yikes.

As far as promoting 0-60 times, I guess I'm guilty of this, but on the Model S. I was at a car show last weekend (end of January, not Feb. 2-3) with a friend who runs a solar panel install business. He had a display set up with solar stuff, an ebike, Eaton Corp's Chevy Volt, and locally owned Tesla's, a Model S and Roadster, each only 1 of 2 in the area. One owner (knew him from before) had his Model S 'SP85' in Signature Red, and the other owner had a Black Roadster. I helped out in explaining the Model S mostly, and I am very surprised by the amount of interest in the cars, only having one person be turned away because of the electric powertrain. What really turned heads was the 4 second 0-60 time and the near 300 mile range, and even telling people that the car cost $107,000, they could justify the cost for what is in the car. I also mentioned for those who mentioned "out of their price-range", that there are cheaper options, such as the LEAF or i. I also talked with a few people who knew about the i. Not bad public knowledge for only 3 or 4 dealers with the cars in a 100 mile radius and no advertisement.

I'll have to see what comes up with the manufacturer's auto show. Hopefully Mitsubishi will be pushing the i more than they did last year (that's where I saw my first i in person, a white SE with the city wrap. Now that I think about it, I've seen more i's than LEAF's, sadly all owned by dealers, they should have been on the road.)

I'm still trying to convince family members that this car is a daily driver and can do more than just back and forth to work. I've seen some pictures of the Ford Focus Electric, and while not a bad car, Ford put the battery over the rear axle, all but eliminating trunk space. you'd have to fold the back seats down just to get a load of groceries. To which I get the reply that I won't be hauling anything because the car is not a daily driver. It's just for back and forth to work. Is there something I'm missing, because I see no reason why the i can't haul groceries and be a daily driver if it's good enough for commuting.

PV1 said:
I'm still trying to convince family members that this car is a daily driver and can do more than just back and forth to work. I've seen some pictures of the Ford Focus Electric, and while not a bad car, Ford put the battery over the rear axle, all but eliminating trunk space. you'd have to fold the back seats down just to get a load of groceries. To which I get the reply that I won't be hauling anything because the car is not a daily driver. It's just for back and forth to work. Is there something I'm missing, because I see no reason why the i can't haul groceries and be a daily driver if it's good enough for commuting.

The i-MiEV is all accomidating vehicle. My weekend jaunts include three people (myself, spouse and son - with booster seat). We usually go grocery shopping - three to four bags. Stop off to the Sprawl-Mart or CostCo for household items and then may stop at the Home Depot or Lowes. The i accomodates all of this. On Sunday, our son had his seventh birthday party with close to twenty kids with twenty gifts to take home! The i-MiEV swallowed them all whole!

Most EVs have a compromise for trunk space, except for the i. The Leaf finally got their 'hump' straightened out for 2013 and moved some equipment to the engine bay, finally removing most of it. The Volt has a decent area for storage at the expense of passenger space, their battery taking up the entire center console and the center seat in the back. This is one of the many reasons I went with the i-MiEV, decent interior space without compromising on space.

What do you plan on hauling with your i-MiEV. If we knew that, then someone may pipe in with how they accomodate that.

MLucas said:
What do you plan on hauling with your i-MiEV. If we knew that, then someone may pipe in with how they accomodate that.

Last time I fired up the minivan was to carry some long sections of plastic pipe. Anybody studied yet on a roof rack for the i?

The Model S has threads for a roof rack hidden under plastic doors, but I haven't seen any for the i yet. As for hauling, mostly just groceries, but sometimes some computers for work. How much length is there from the back to the back of the front seats? (ie, how long of an object can fit inside?)

jray3 said:
MLucas said:

Last time I fired up the minivan was to carry some long sections of plastic pipe. Anybody studied yet on a roof rack for the i?
I'm still studying on this

Our 'real' car is a Protégé 5 wagon which has both a roof rack and a trailer hitch - We use both from time to time on trips to Lowes or Home Depot to pick up large items which won't fit in or on the iMiEV. Other than those trips, the only other time the wagon has been started in the past 9 months was the one time that we needed to go someplace with all 3 grandkids at once. We've put exactly $20 worth of gas in that car since we bought the i

I'm not sure about a roof rack, but the idea of an iMiEV with a trailer hitch is sounding more and more like a good idea . . . . Lowes is only 3 miles away and Home Depot is about 7, so a trip to get a few sheets of 4 X 8 plywood wouldn't mean firing up the ICE any longer . . . .

Don

Don said:
the idea of an iMiEV with a trailer hitch is sounding more and more like a good idea . . . .

It seems that my 2" receiver breaks the ice for people itching to ask me about the car more often than the car itself.. :? "You can tow with that?"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wl77ippkgthqim9/IMG_3207.JPG

Awesome - I like the wheel covers! You might want to check out the aerodynamic enhancements being built by folks over on EcoModder - you get to *improve* the drag significantly while you carry bikes, etc.

Back