Why is everything coming on when hook up charged 12v battery

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so took to the dealer and they said, after a week that they think it is the module just above the electric battery that is causing the problem and that it is a $4000 part. The car only has 14,000 miles on it. I told them they are crazy. Thoughts??

… that depends on how much $$$ you want to spend, if it’s a faulty OBC the dealer will just replace it, DIY repair is way cheaper if you have the skills to do it, for guidance check out below

https://myimiev.com/threads/the-troubleshooting-and-repair-for-on-board-charger-obc-thread.4079/
They told me that they think it is the module above the big battery. (Pcm) i think they said but they are not sure. Estimated cost $4000. I highly doubt this as the car only has 14,000 miles. Do you know approx how much it is to replace an on board charger and where it is?

That’s likely a blown MCU fuse for the on-board charger. The red battery light means the 12 volt battery isn’t charging, so better keep a trickle charger on the 12 volt battery and not drive the car right now (or just disconnect the 12 volt).

In all likelihood, this is your original problem and all the shenanigans with the 12 volt battery were symptoms.

They told me that they think it is the module above the big battery. (Pcm) i think they said but they are not sure. Estimated cost $4000. I highly doubt this as the car only has 14,000 miles. Do you know approx how much it is to replace an on board charger and where it is?

The charger is under the floor behind the rear seats. Open the rear hatch, lift up the carpet, and remove the metal cover. It’s the box on the left side near the coolant reservoir.

Mitsubishi’s insane pricing for replacement parts is why there’s a detailed thread on repairing the charger, and also why existing cars are getting parted out.

I found this letter from Mitsubishi online that described the problem with this part and extended the 2012 imiev warranty on this part for 10 years. Unfortunately i was not notified of this, when i bought the car, I had a charging problem and thought it was the external charger. At that time it was still under this warranty. If i had known, it could have been resolved for free.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240321_133853_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240321_133853_Gallery.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240321_133817_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240321_133817_Gallery.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240321_133841_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240321_133841_Gallery.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
They should have sent it out to whoever was the owner of record as of that data, but it doesn't always work out. i have gotten notices for other cars and OEMs about recalls. It's unfortunate for you, however we have been able to troubleshoot and repair lots of these OBC over the air with online help.

Even if you don't solder you can remove the board leaving the OBC in place, and take it to a cell phone or tv repair shop and they solder and fix it. You can do it, we can help.

Thank you, i cannot do much in the way of auto work but i can find help. Just spoke to service guy at mits dealer again and he said that it is the on board charger. I said i know, did he open it up to see if it was a bad capacitor?He got flustered and said that he didnt know. Any more questions I should ask when i go to get the car back?

The charger is under the floor behind the rear seats. Open the rear hatch, lift up the carpet, and remove the metal cover. It’s the box on the left side near the coolant reservoir.

Mitsubishi’s insane pricing for replacement parts is why there’s a detailed thread on repairing the charger, and also why existing cars are getting parted out.
What do you need to do before this to make sure it is safe to work on apart from disconnecting the 12 v battery?

What do you need to do before this to make sure it is safe to work on apart from disconnecting the 12 v battery?
You need to remove the mid-pack disconnect. It's unfortunately not easy to get to, in Australia it's under the passenger's (left) seat.

IF you decide to remove the whole on-board charger from the car, you may want to pinch shut the coolant pipes, to minimise fluid loss.

You need to remove the mid-pack disconnect. It's unfortunately not easy to get to, in Australia it's under the passenger's (left) seat.

IF you decide to remove the whole on-board charger from the car, you may want to pinch shut the coolant pipes, to minimise fluid loss.
Ok. Thanks.

Click on the search tab and put in "Troubleshooting (OBC) thread" in the search box, and "kiev" in the member box, hit search button. There is thread with that in the title.

Last edited:
Back