Maximum Range Remaining

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Possibly, but likely not

As has been mentioned, the RR calculations involve the computer keeping track of what's actually been happening engerywise for the last 15 miles or so. So, if you lived in a valley and your trip home every night involves a 35 mph twisty 15 mile descent from the hills above the valley, you could easily plug in at home and see 125 on your RR meter. But, next morning you still have to climb back up that hill to get to work. Plug in there and you could see 50 on your RR meter after a full charge

In real life situations, things probably aren't that skewed, but if your last 15 miles was mostly slower stop and go traffic on flat ground, your number after a recharge would be unrealistically high and the only way you could ever come close to achieving that would be to drive the next hundred miles exactly like you drove the last 15 - Not likely to happen

No doubt though that if you live in a flat area, keep your speeds below 35 or 40, avoid using the climate controls and don't do any jackrabbit starts you CAN drive 100 miles on a charge - It is possible

Don

jaraczs said:

The second test was with myself only and slightly different destination. On the way there, 92.6 miles driven + 5 RR (total of 97.6 miles !! :D ). Return trip was more complicated as I increased the speed cap to 45 MPH, then was stuck for 1h 43 min in supper heavy traffic when crossing Manhattan (1.3 miles :( ) and last 5-10 miles of my trip was rain :x : 91.2 miles driven + 1 RR (turtle). The project was video taped and is available on YouTube:
http://youtu.be/PWq304cPonM

Nice video, thanks for the information on this.

The weight of opinion on this forum seems to be that what you did in the last 15 miles or so determines what your RR will be at next full charge. So the 75MPH run became a key factor in a RR of 85. Try it again sometime without the "spurt of speed" to the finish. 112 is really good. Bill.

acensor said:
Interestingly, though, the RR meter is only up to 85, when based on most recent history IMO it should be saying 112. hat is "if you do again what you just did you can go 112 miles again." Could its so-to-speak underestimate be because the last thing it saw was me driving 75mph?
No - It shouldn't be saying 112 after a recharge. How far you actually went has little to do with the prediction of how far you can go tomorrow

If your last 15 or 20 miles were done at 75, it wouldn't be showing you 85 like it did . . . . the number would be much lower. All the RR meter can give you is a prediction of how far you can go on your recharge based on the last 15 miles you drove . . . . *if* you drive the same way as you did for the last 15 miles

Don

Since this thread is specifically for maximum RR, it's always nice to see a photo and a brief description of the driving conditions preceding the charge. We've been bandying the "15miles" rolling average for a while, but does anyone have any specifics where that originated?

JoeS said:
We've been bandying the "15miles" rolling average for a while, but does anyone have any specifics where that originated?
I always *thought* it originated here, Joe - But after a little searching on the subject I found a really good description of the cars features in a PDF at http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au which does verify that 15 miles is the magic number. Their description of the RR meter is as follows: "Perhaps the most consistently useful gauge, this shows the remaining distance, calculated by the consumption of electricity over the previous 24 kms"

Since this was straight from Mitsubishi and 24 kms is 15 miles, I guess we can finally take it as being gospel

Don

Don said:
...(Mitsubishi's) description of the RR meter is as follows: "Perhaps the most consistently useful gauge, this shows the remaining distance, calculated by the consumption of electricity over the previous 24 kms" Since this was straight from Mitsubishi and 24 kms is 15 miles, I guess we can finally take it as being gospel
Don, thank you very much for that - and hopefully we'll remember where we've stored this tidbit.

I stuck it in a thread in the Tech/Reference Articles Read Only sub-forum - Hopefully we'll remember to look for it there

BTW - Since nobody can post replies there which clutter up such reference material, it's an excellent place to 'store' things you might want to actually be able to find at a later date

Don

I've been using these estimates as a conservative rule of thumb for range remaining:

There are 16 bars on the battery fuel gauge.
Normal Range: 4 miles per bar. Examples; 5 bars left - 20 miles range; 16 bars left - 64 miles range.
Highway or Heater or Constant Air Conditioner Range: 3 miles per bar. Examples; 5 bars left - 15 miles range; 16 bars left - 48 miles range.
Highway and Heater or Highway and Constant AC: 2 miles per bar. Examples; 5 bars left - 10 miles range; 16 bars left - 32 miles range.

The highway speed in New Jersey is usually 65 mph. You have to go at least 65 mph or you will be run off the road.
I've found going 65 plus mph and running the heater at the same time really drains the battery.

RobertC said:
I've been using these estimates as a conservative rule of thumb for range remaining:

There are 16 bars on the battery fuel gauge.
Normal Range: 4 miles per bar. Examples; 5 bars left - 20 miles range; 16 bars left - 64 miles range.
Highway or Heater or Constant Air Conditioner Range: 3 miles per bar. Examples; 5 bars left - 15 miles range; 16 bars left - 48 miles range.
Highway and Heater or Highway and Constant AC: 2 miles per bar. Examples; 5 bars left - 10 miles range; 16 bars left - 32 miles range.
You're mentally calculating about the same thing that the RR meter does . . . . except that it does it using real numbers for electrical consumption based on how you're driving the car at the time, so it's gotta be more accurate

Depending on my speed, I usually get closer to 5 miles per bar than 4 - 16 bars, 80 miles left. Usually, a full recharge shows on my RR meter as 80 to 85 miles . . . . unless I was either really hot dogging it the last time I drove, *or* I was using lots of climate control. Running the A/C in the summertime, I usually get about 4 miles per bar, or 65 on a full recharge

Next to the 'B' mode (max regenerative braking) the RR meter is about my favorite feature on the car - Any time my car is moving, the meter is set to show me Range Remaining and I watch it lots more than I do the 'fuel' gauge

Don

Hi all,

A very patience guy up here in Quebec. Driving 30-50 Km/hour.

The audio is in French but the video is self-explanitory. As he mentions at the end h probable could have got up to 5 more Km but he didn't have his L1 Evse with him so he didn't run it all the way down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJcSF_rRFEs

Great Job Gille.....

Don.....

Great video

Almost never seen anything above 135 km on the RR gauge (but we live in the hills)

Verrrrry patient driver is absolutely right.. especially the way they drive here in Quebec

DonDakin said:
...A very patience guy up here in Quebec. Driving 30-50 Km/hour.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJcSF_rRFEs...
DonDakin, thanks for the link to the video, which actually addresses two separate topics:

Maximum Range Remaining (this thread)
Maximum Miles Driven on One Charge

Very close but, at 100 miles (160km), not a record in either category.

What to me is fascinating with this video is that the two numbers are very very close - something I've never experienced. In other words, the RR prediction was for 160km and he actually drove that far with the battery close enough to empty to not be worth quibbling over. Because these numbers ended up being so close, I take it that the driver (Gilles Demers) has an awfully steady go-pedal foot.

For myself, I prefer not to stress my battery and thus will never even attempt a Maximum Miles Driven on One Charge record.

As an aside, you might have noticed that I moved acensor's previous post and PV1's response into the Maximum Miles Driven on One Charge thread.

I think i can claim the maximum RR for me :D .

76qe.jpg

172 km are 106.875 miles, i think the last value posted has the best was 103 miles.

Excellent ! And doing so at 44000 km shows excellent battery durability.

Could you please indicate tyre pressure you normally use and do you take any particular care for not overheating the Battery ?

Thank you

I should tell you something. I think i couldn't make it before i went to Mitsubishi after two years and 40.000 km for the normal inspection. I don't know what they did, but before i had a turtle with 15 km or more of range and now a turtle of about 1 km. My bars now last longer, with the exception of the first one, the last to charge, and as i said, almost no turtle.
To achieve 172 km RR i climbed a hill and then drived downhill for about 20 km, using N to acelerate and C to brake, avoiding to use the aceleretion pedal. Then I charged in a town that is located in the base of the hill.

I don't have any special care with the batteries. Portugal is not a cold country, neither very hot. I avoid keeping it in hot days under the sun. I do some quickcharges. I always charge to 100% and i have go down to turtle four or five times.
Tire pressure i use normally 2.5 bar, but when i achieved 172 km RR i used 2.65.

Malm said:
To achieve 172 km RR i climbed a hill and then drived downhill for about 20 km, using N to acelerate and C to brake, avoiding to use the aceleretion pedal. Then I charged in a town that is located in the base of the hill.
Very predictable . . . . and also artificial. If the hill was a little steeper, the RR might have reached 200! . . . . but we all know you could never actually go anywhere near that far

A good example of how maximum range you can actually drive and maximum range remaining on the meter are two totally different things

The really impressive numbers are those who actually drive 100 miles - That's impressive!!

Don

Malm, congratulations! Always happy to see someone break one of our records. :D
Malm said:
Darn, you've discovered the secret trick! :) My own RR=98mi was achieved after I had climbed home (~600ft/~200m). :roll:

Malm said:
Tire pressure i use normally 1.5, but when i achieved 172 km RR i used 1.65.
1.5bar=21.8psi, 1.65bar=23.9psi. Perhaps you meant 2.5bar(=36.3psi) and 2.65bar(=38.4psi)?

Sorry. You are right JoeS, the pressure is 2.5 bar. Thank's for correcting me.

Of course it was predictible, that's why i can do it again, if i want. I believe i can beat the record again. Like Don said " If the hill was a little steeper, the RR might have reached 200!". Maybe not 200, but 175-180.

Yes, that's artificial, i usually don't get that number, but in the same conditions of the last 20 km, i should go around the world and still be fully charged :lol: .

But the way, like life, isn't always downhill :roll: .

Back