Maximum Range Remaining

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lest I mislead people about mileage in NYC, I would like to say this...

To get that great 99 mile RR, you cannot be driving bumper to bumper, stop and go. You have to be driving a somewhat steady 15 to 30 mph. In the city proper, you go from one light to another. Sometimes waiting 2 or 3 light cycles just to get through a block. Even under these conditions, I think I could squeak out 75. using the A/C, I think you'd be lucky to get 60.

When I travel on the "highway" (if you can call it that) from the burbs to manhattan, with a little luck, you can do a steady 15-30 mph. That's where you get the GREAT mileage.

The real life situation is that I do a little of each. I think I am going to average out at 75-80.

We've had our i just over a week now, and are pretty consistently getting 93 RR when the car is fully charged. We drive in mostly light traffic, speeds mostly between 35 and 55 mph, some hills, and some dirt roads as well. Once up to cruising speed on a reasonably level road, we've been dropping into eco mode, and are using eco mode on the couple of steeper downhills on our daily routes. Not using a/c yet here in Taos.

JoeS said:
fjpod said:
jennrod12 said:
OMG - 99 miles RR - where is the picture?!?!?!?! :lol:
Jenn
I got the shot...I just gotta figure out how to upload it.
I know...no shot, it didn't happen.

fjpod - we're still waiting for that picture of your record-setting RR of 99 :)
It's on the previous page. Read 'em and weep...

Don said:
My computer's on the fritz then . . . . the photo doesn't show up for me!

Don
dunno about the technical difficulties. It's clear as day for me. Is your computer blocking access to photo storage sites?

I realize all screens may be different, but it is in the post by fiddlerjohn, on the bottom of page4, dated May 23.

Anyway...range updates...after several near full charges, and using more A/C due to heat and humidity, my RR is usually coming up in the morning at 86.

I tried using the pre-cooling function on the remote this morning for the first time. Worked like a charm, even though I had the A/C off in the car. Car was plugged in of course.

fjpod said:
Anyway...range updates...after several near full charges, and using more A/C due to heat and humidity, my RR is usually coming up in the morning at 86.
Does that 86 jump down to 78 or 80 as soon as you turn on the A/C backing out of the garage? Mine does

Don

Don said:
fjpod said:
Does that 86 jump down to 78 or 80 as soon as you turn on the A/C backing out of the garage? Mine does

Don
Yes...probably down to 76.

Started out today with a full charge and RR at 86. Drove 57 miles, about half of it at 50 mph, the other half stop and go city traffic. Got home with 29 miles RR and 5 pips on the fuel gauge. Some rain, no climate control. Not bad....

fjpod - wow, you're consistently good! When my wife takes the iMiEV out after I've driven it, she gets a perverse delight in coming back home with a greater RR than what I left it at, despite having put on another 10-15 miles.

How about minimum RR?

Forgot I had an errand to run today and didn't charge it up. I left the house with a trip of 30.6 miles ahead of me, 1/2 of it freeway miles, and a RR of 29. Got home with NO BARS and 2 miles RR! Yikes! Plugged in immediately, of course. No turtle, though.

Jenn

It's amazing how you can make it when you need to Jenn. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I still had full power on the turtle mode. I had about a half mile to get home, full power was available the whole way. Didn't want to temp fate so I parked and charged.

JoeS said:
fjpod - wow, you're consistently good! When my wife takes the iMiEV out after I've driven it, she gets a perverse delight in coming back home with a greater RR than what I left it at, despite having put on another 10-15 miles.
I seem to be regularly getting a range of 85 miles. If I drive over 45 mph at a steady rate, which I sometimes do, I get less. If I drive all local (average speed 17 mph), I get more. All this is without climate control.

Driving technique counts for a lot. I've driven a Prius for almost three years and am used to hypermiling...traffic permitting, of course. Sometimes I just crawl to a red light instead of accelerating towards it. Going downhill, I will often coast but keep the needle right between charge and power.

Back