Help me buy an iMiev

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After our recent test drive, it's all the more likely that a purchase will be soon. Even though I try to avoid purchasing off the lot, this particular dealer has a lot-lizard that's been there since April and is the ES model I prefer for cost reasons.

Are there any owners here with the ES model? If so, are there features that come with the SE model that you wish you had, making you feel you had shelled out the extra bucks? The lot-lizard has only the heated mirrors and battery warmer options, so it's probably as bare-bones as I'll find in the color we want.

Zero percent financing runs out in a week but we've found we have some semi-liquid assets that can tolerate depletion until the tax rebate comes through. Kelly Blue Book says our Scion xA is worth more than ten thousand on the home-seller market and more than about eight and a half as a trade-in. I hate the process of selling on the private market, so my laziness will cost us a grand and a half, probably.

I don't know if it will work for you or not, but mention to the salesman that you can get a $1K discount from Mitsubishi if you order a car directly from them, rather than buying one off the lot at your dealer - That Mitsu offer might not be any good at this late date, but when we bought a car off the dealers lot, he happily gave us that $1K directly off the sticker, plus some other discounts because the car already had a few miles on it

Selling your Scion yourself might net you enough extra that you could possibly move up to an SE model for nearly nothing. Our SE didn't come with either heated mirrors or the battery warmer so you might find an ES which doesn't have either of those if you're really searching for a bare bones model

My wife painted a 'For Sale' sign and we put it in the windshield of the car we were thinking of trading on the i - We parked it at the end of our driveway where it was visible to everyone passing by on Friday and we sold it the next day for more than $2K over the offered trade-in price . . . . the first couple that asked about it bought it. I would try and sell your car yourself starting now and then if it's still unsold when you go to buy you can always trade it

Other than the foglights which were a 'must have' for me, the one accessory which the factory added to our car that I'm really glad we got was the USB adapter for the stereo. You can add it later though for about $150. The stereo is a single disc model, but plugging a 4Gb USB memory stick into the adapter gives it a virtually endless supply of tunes. We currently have about 225 songs on it and it's maybe one fifth full. Unlike using an iPod for music storage, the memory card reads almost instantly when you start the car and begins playing in just a second ot two . . . . some here have reported that an iPod takes forever to read each time you start the car

If you can take a check for the full amount into a dealer which has several cars laying around unsold, some pretty good deals can be had - They will usually accept a check for a few hundred less than their previous absolute lowest number, rather than send you (and your check) back home without a car . . . . especially if they know you have access to a few other Mitsu dealerships within a hundred miles or so . . . .

Good luck with your purchase - Now is a good time to be buying and all the cards are stacked in your favor . . . . don't let the salesman put you on the defensive. Negotiate his best price and then take him a check for something less :D

Don

Fredd, the only option I miss not having on my ES is the quick charge, since my area now has excellent CHAdeMO availability, but I have nevertheless put 9200 miles in it in exactly 8 months.
If the lot lizard has the heated battery it probably also has the heated seats, which are nice and make winter hypermiling easier.

It's a strange combination of only two options, heated mirrors and battery warmer. There is an entry in the standard equipment list of heated driver seat.

I thought the heated mirrors and battery warmer were the "cold weather package."

Looks like you're looking at an ES just like the one I bought at this point- good luck in the hunt.

A few items from the SE package I could think of that would be nice, but none that I absolutely can't live without:

- passenger seat heater
- fog lights
- USB port for stereo

All but the first can be installed later. I will likely buy the USB port and install it when I have the cash rattling in my pocket- maybe I'll ask for it for a Christmas present.

Again, good luck!

Rich

Edmunds.com has a facility to send "interest" messages en masse to nearby dealers, so I used that and have received "how interested" responses from four of the five in my area. In response, I asked for itemized quotes. One reply so far that fits my request:

MSRP $30,125.00
Sell $28,550.00
tax $1,846.00
tag $225.00
fees $888
Total out the door $31,509.00

I suspect the 888 fees are additional dealer profit. This particular listing is for the vehicle I've already identified as the silver ES model, which has been on the lot for four months as noted. Still there as of yesterday. Until the other dealers provide equivalent information, I have no comparisons to make.

$30,125 sounds kinda high for the MSRP on an ES to me - Maybe someone with that model can check their window sticker and give you a true number. I *thought* the ES was about $2K less than the SE model?

The MSRP on my SE was exactly $1K more than what they quoted you - $31,125. The 'fees' probably include an $850 'Destination/Handling' charge and that should be really negitiable for you, since the port of entry for the car is Jacksonville FL. Since it was only about 450 miles away, even my dealer gave me a nice break on that, as he admitted that what he pays for trucking the car is way less than the $850. I'll bet the other $34 is the title prep paperwork fee

You're doing it the right way - You've got 4 or 5 dealerships to choose from and they probably all have some cars sitting on the lot. You'll eventually find one who doesn't want the full sticker price for a brand new one, or who is willing to knock a grand or two off the lot lizards

Don

nt2w said:
A few items from the SE package I could think of that would be nice, but none that I absolutely can't live without:

- passenger seat heater
- fog lights
- USB port for stereo

All but the first can be installed later
My SE didn't come with a heated passenger seat - Just the drivers side. It did come with the USB port, but it was a $175 standalone option and not part of my SE package. Maybe it's standard on the $2700 Nav Package, but not on the SE? I've never heard of any MiEV with the passenger heated seat . . . . is that a part of the Nav Package too?

Don

Don said:
$30,125 sounds kinda high for the MSRP on an ES to me - Maybe someone with that model can check their window sticker and give you a true number. I *thought* the ES was about $2K less than the SE model?

The MSRP on my SE was exactly $1K more than what they quoted you - $31,125. The 'fees' probably include an $850 'Destination/Handling' charge and that should be really negitiable for you, since the port of entry for the car is Jacksonville FL. Since it was only about 450 miles away, even my dealer gave me a nice break on that, as he admitted that what he pays for trucking the car is way less than the $850. I'll bet the other $34 is the title prep paperwork fee

You're doing it the right way - You've got 4 or 5 dealerships to choose from and they probably all have some cars sitting on the lot. You'll eventually find one who doesn't want the full sticker price for a brand new one, or who is willing to knock a grand or two off the lot lizards

Don

I have a photo taken of the model in question and it does read at 30,125. The destination charge is 850 as you say. The negotiable part is useful, and it probably did arrive from Jax, fewer than one hundred miles away. It's a holiday weekend, which either excuses the other four dealers from replying or doesn't, if they want to sell a car. I think I have a bit of negotiation leverage in that the vehicle under consideration is the one I know to be four months idle on the lot.

Hi Fred,

I just realized I had forgotten to post this, which I had written in response to your query ... somewhat dated now that you're past this stage and actively pricing the car. Anyway, here it is:

Good for you for doing your due diligence homework.

Last week my wife and I again drove 47 miles (one-way) up to San Francisco (7 bars when we arrived) to watch the America's Cup World Series - fully recharged in three hours at the world's most picturesque public EVSE station (Crissy Field) and just before dinner up there I had glanced at your post and it provided us with a nice topic for dinner conversation and the trip back home.

The iMiEV has become our primary car and we've put on almost 7000 miles since February. I had bought a no-option SE with blue graphics off the dealer's lot after waiting impatiently a few months for my pre-order. I could care less about the fancier upholstery or leather-covered steering wheel but do think the lighter alloy wheels are perhaps better as one always wants to reduce unsprung weight. We usually keep it in station-wagon mode (have added a carpet back there), but have on occasion had 5 people in the car (pillow and no seat belt for the one in the middle in the back). So, if you need to carry more than four people often then that's a problem.

OK, so what's wrong with the car? My wife says nothing, but I disagree: I'll tell you what's wrong with it: the headrests! Stupid things block the rear and side view and significantly reduce the car's otherwise-excellent all-round visibility. Not only that, the (expletive) headrest pushes the head so you're sitting there with your neck stuck forward - raising the headrest reduces this a bit, but blocks the view more. I keep the back seats down (you have to remove the aft headrests to do that) and take out the passenger headrest when my wife takes the car, and I even take out the driver's headrest when I'm alone in it. A number of people have tried headrests from other cars and I'm going to a junkyard one of these days to experiment. Yes, I know, the headrests have a job to do, but accident avoidance (meaning getting rid of blind spots) is higher on my own priority list. I initially also griped about the driver's-side rear-view mirror field-of-view, but solved that with an interior corner small convex mirror.</rant>

Anyway, your query allowed us to have a discussion assessing the car and how it's become integrated into our lives. Simply put, it works extremely well for us and we haven't uncovered any warts (except for headrests).

You've undoubtedly read a bunch of car reviews. I get very irked at many of the 'professional' car reviews. Those guys live in a different world than I do.

1) Range is not an issue. I think some of those car reviewers are math challenged, don't know how to drive efficiently, and don't bother looking for a power outlet.
2) Acceleration is not an issue - with its really decent low-end torque, merging into traffic has never been a problem. Mitusbishi achieved a very nice compromise yielding a smooth yet powerful take-off without the head-snapping jerk.
3) Speed is not an issue - where can you legally drive over 80mph?
4) Handling is not an issue. Having the wheels at the outer corners and the battery pack centered and down low, coupled with a pretty decent suspension, simply works just fine. After all, this is an econocar and not a high-end sportscar. I have no problem throwing my iMiEV around corners on my twisty windy way home. Having 60psi in my tires undoubtedly helps.
5) Ride quality is not an issue - it's a small car, but does just fine. Sure, some particular road surface might briefly be noticed, but it's simply no big deal.
6) Interior comfort is not an issue. It's certainly much easier to get into/outof than a Tesla (roadster or S). All this ridiculous emphasis nowadays on number of cupholders, perceived 'feel' and 'quality' of interior, seat comfort, etc., makes me wanna toss my cookies. Just reading the post-purchase survey questions from various survey organizations shows me the appalling shallowness of the auto industry marketing - selling image and perception and distracting gadgetry rather than substance. Gimme a break, we're not planning on driving this thing cross-country!
7) Looks - that's too subjective to even bother discussing.
8) Size - hey, it's nice and small on the outside, yet very spacious on the inside. That turning radius is marvelous!

Be sure to take the iMiEV for an extensive test ride, especially on a high-speed highway. Use B to test the acceleration and regen for yourself.

Technically, haven't found anything to gripe about at all, even though personally I prefer front-wheel drive (having driven a FWD Saab for 45 years). She's a well-engineered little car. In a nutshell, we are more than happy with our iMiEV purchase.

HTH, JoeS.

Joe, we went into the test drive phase knowing (or believing) a lot of what you write, including the headrests. Ergonomics are different for everyone and the headrests were not the pain in the neck, pun intended, for us that they appear to be for others. I also recognized the option of a different model being used as a source for more effective replacements if needed.

I would agree with all your points provided. The highway performance is unimportant to us, as we rarely drive on an interstate. The ride quality is an improvement over our long-sold Xebra, an improvement over my Gizmo Ev and possibly on a par with the Scion xA that's going on the market soon. Obviously, there's no comparison to the remaining EV I use, a Focus Designs Self-Balancing Unicycle (v2).

I was surprised at the wide field of view of the left side rear view mirror, compared to the reviews I've read, but that was during a limited duration test drive. I tend to add stick-on mirrors to just about everything I drive, so the i is also a candidate.

I received moments ago an email from the dealer farthest from us, solicited by the edmunds.com page, telling me that they do not have an i on the lot to sell. The local dealer has six and this one has zero? Yikes. The sales gal tried to sell me an ICE vehicle. Double yikes.

Don said:
nt2w said:

- passenger seat heater
- fog lights
- USB port for stereo

All but the first can be installed later
My SE didn't come with a heated passenger seat - Just the drivers side. It did come with the USB port, but it was a $175 standalone option and not part of my SE package. Maybe it's standard on the $2700 Nav Package, but not on the SE? I've never heard of any MiEV with the passenger heated seat . . . . is that a part of the Nav Package too?

Don

Oops. :oops:

Not sure where I got the idea of the heated passenger seat- maybe it was when I was doing my comparison shopping with the Leaf!

Strike the passenger seat heat- and the USB port (from the Mitsu "build" page) is part of the $2790 Premium package on the SE that includes nav, the hands-free goodies and the rearview camera (along with the chademo port and battery warmer), not part of the SE trim. Sorry, brain cramp!

freddotu said:
I have a photo taken of the model in question and it does read at 30,125. The destination charge is 850 as you say. The negotiable part is useful, and it probably did arrive from Jax, fewer than one hundred miles away. It's a holiday weekend, which either excuses the other four dealers from replying or doesn't, if they want to sell a car. I think I have a bit of negotiation leverage in that the vehicle under consideration is the one I know to be four months idle on the lot.
The had the i on MotorWeek lately and they quoted the prices including the destination charges $29,975 for the ES and $31,975 for the SE - Exactly $2K more. That figure is exactly what's on my window sticker. $31,125 plus the $850 is $31,975

I *think* your lot lizard might stick you with the extra cost of the battery heater and the heated mirrors, which you probably don't really need ot want in Florida anyway, so you *might* be able to negotiate a better deal on a brand new ES without those things, assuming you don't really want to pay for them. The sticker on a new ES should read $29,125 without the destination charge, so the one you're looking at must have added exactly $1K for something . . . . maybe the heated mirrors and battery?

Don

Here's the scoop directly from the dealer:

MSRP $30,125.00
Sell $28,550.00
tax $1,846.00
tag $225.00
fees $888
Total out the door $31,509.00

I might not try to sell our pristine Scion xA on the open market and Kelly Blue Book has some pretty good numbers for trade-in, so that part may be the key bargaining factor. KBB suggests more than ten thousand on home-seller, and eight thousand six for a valid dealer offer. With only one offer on the table, I'm not yet in the position I want to be, so I'm waiting out the remaining three dealers to respond.

+1 ;) The one day review never does this car justice. I've found only the long term test drives give this car the credit it deserves. I've never found the car cheap or lacking in any way. The tipsy thing you hear mentioned a lot is B.S., its a small-tall concept that I have become very used to in a Toyota Echo and a Nissan Versa. It sure beats having your butt on the floor pan looking at the inside of other cars wheel wells. The car sits up tall and proud and VISIBLE in traffic. Enjoy!

JoeS said:
You've undoubtedly read a bunch of car reviews. I get very irked at many of the 'professional' car reviews. Those guys live in a different world than I do.

1) Range is not an issue. I think some of those car reviewers are math challenged, don't know how to drive efficiently, and don't bother looking for a power outlet.
2) Acceleration is not an issue - with its really decent low-end torque, merging into traffic has never been a problem. Mitusbishi achieved a very nice compromise yielding a smooth yet powerful take-off without the head-snapping jerk.
3) Speed is not an issue - where can you legally drive over 80mph?
4) Handling is not an issue. Having the wheels at the outer corners and the battery pack centered and down low, coupled with a pretty decent suspension, simply works just fine. After all, this is an econocar and not a high-end sportscar. I have no problem throwing my iMiEV around corners on my twisty windy way home. Having 60psi in my tires undoubtedly helps.
5) Ride quality is not an issue - it's a small car, but does just fine. Sure, some particular road surface might briefly be noticed, but it's simply no big deal.
6) Interior comfort is not an issue. It's certainly much easier to get into/outof than a Tesla (roadster or S). All this ridiculous emphasis nowadays on number of cupholders, perceived 'feel' and 'quality' of interior, seat comfort, etc., makes me wanna toss my cookies. Just reading the post-purchase survey questions from various survey organizations shows me the appalling shallowness of the auto industry marketing - selling image and perception and distracting gadgetry rather than substance. Gimme a break, we're not planning on driving this thing cross-country!
7) Looks - that's too subjective to even bother discussing.
8) Size - hey, it's nice and small on the outside, yet very spacious on the inside. That turning radius is marvelous!

I had a question about extended test drives. How, and when, would you go about asking for one? And what would your reason be? I would think that you ask after a short test drive when you start signing papers and say you want the ETD to make sure the car would meet your needs, but I just wanted to hear someone else's opinion on this.

PV1 said:
I had a question about extended test drives. How, and when, would you go about asking for one? And what would your reason be? I would think that you ask after a short test drive when you start signing papers and say you want the ETD to make sure the car would meet your needs, but I just wanted to hear someone else's opinion on this.

PV1,
I have done just that, for the Volt, the Leaf, and the i. The Volt was first, and the salesman volunteered to allow me to take the car for an "extended test drive" overnight (Friday to Sat.). I asked if they were open on Sunday, and he said "no", so I asked if I could bring the car back Monday, and he said "sure!". I did the same thing for the Leaf, but the i salesman would not allow me more than an overnight.
My reasoning for taking the "extended test drive" was that the usual test drive was just not enough; I wanted a chance to play with the car without the salesman sitting next to me. Every dealer has allowed me that latitude without hesitation.

-b

Back