New life for wrecked iMiev

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonW

I have been commuting in a Mitsubishi iMiev since I bought it new in 2014. It had a failed battery pack earlier this year, one month before the warranty expired, and my local Mitsubishi dealer replaced the traction battery, high voltage charger, and low voltage charger. My son turned 16 in July and I gave him the car to drive. Unfortunately he got in an accident recently and damaged the front drivers side. It’s no longer drivable but since the battery is nearly new, there has got to be something I can do with this drivetrain.
I have tossed around different ideas including:
Put the drivetrain in a 1995 Geo Tracker I have.
Find a cheap first gen Miata and do the same.
Put the battery in my motorhome to run it for weeks while boondocking.
The reason for this post is to hear any advice anyone has concerning these ideas. I live near Seattle WA so if anyone knows of a local person who could transplant the drivetrain for me I would love to contact them. Thanks in advance, I can’t wait to hear your ideas!

Hello
Check out below for an EV conversion using I-MIEV parts to give you an idea of what’s involved.
https://318iev.blogspot.com/2020/03/

Quite a lot I gather, therefore it probably makes more sense to remove the battery, BMU and OBC and use these parts to keep another one or two IMievs on the road?

Putting the battery into your motor home is relatively simple: split the pack into individual cells (beware HV), re-arrange them to suit your inverter and hook them up to a 3rd party BMS…

Mickey

I have been commuting in a Mitsubishi iMiev since I bought it new in 2014. It had a failed battery pack earlier this year, one month before the warranty expired, and my local Mitsubishi dealer replaced the traction battery, high voltage charger, and low voltage charger. My son turned 16 in July and I gave him the car to drive. Unfortunately he got in an accident recently and damaged the front drivers side. It’s no longer drivable but since the battery is nearly new, there has got to be something I can do with this drivetrain.
I have tossed around different ideas including:
Put the drivetrain in a 1995 Geo Tracker I have.
Find a cheap first gen Miata and do the same.
Put the battery in my motorhome to run it for weeks while boondocking.
The reason for this post is to hear any advice anyone has concerning these ideas. I live near Seattle WA so if anyone knows of a local person who could transplant the drivetrain for me I would love to contact them. Thanks in advance, I can’t wait to hear your ideas!
Hi DonW,
Unless you have enough knowledge, time and patience to do it yourself, I would not allow any "BEV guru" to touch it. It will be an endless project, and by the time you realize it, it will end up costing you a fortune.
If I were you, I would either sell the car "as is", for a very good price, due to the almost new battery, or find a used, high millage 2014-2015 i-Miev for a great price and have the battery replaced by your dealer. With a bit of luck it will last you another 10 years.

Back