Charging the I MIEV @ 6.6 Kw instead the nominal 3.3

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barbagris, I'm wondering, what's the purpose of different currents in Mennekes EVSE, if Mennekes is a standard for quick charging on charging stations?

Zelenec said:
The other problem in Europe is not yet agreed single standard for charging stations plugs.
Yes - If you're going to do lots of charging away from home, an aftermarket EVSE which allows you to set the current based on the power available in whatever socket you find would be a great thing to have

Building one of your own using parts from the Open EVSE website would really open up new (and faster) opportunities for recharging on the road. I built my own for about $350US, but the most expensive part (the J1772 plug and cord) is even cheaper now than when I built mine, so it could probably be done for less

In addition to a current selectable EVSE, you will also need a pigtail adapter for each type of socket you may need to use. As I understand it (from Peter's posts) that means 5 or 6 different adapters. I think he does lots of recharging on the road at caravan parks, and some of those allow you to use 12 or 14 amps, which is about all the charger in the car can handle anyway. My car will do a 100% recharge at 240 @ 12 amps in about 6 hours - It recharges at about 10 miles (16 kms) per hour

Don

Zelenec said:
Barbagris, I'm wondering, what's the purpose of different currents in Mennekes EVSE, if Mennekes is a standard for quick charging on charging stations?

VDE-AR-E 2623-2-2 (Mennekes); max. 16A single phase, 63A (43 kW) three phase (semi-quick). it has been reported as Standard in EC (France apart), every purchaser of a Zoe will have to buy a wallbox with Mennekes to do the domestic charge at 10-16A.

There is a Euro "combo" standard, with a Mennekes up and a DC down. See at the VW e-Golf, for example:

Barbagris said:
VDE-AR-E 2623-2-2 (Mennekes); max. 16A single phase, 63A (43 kW) three phase (semi-quick). it has been reported as Standard in EC (France apart), every purchaser of a Zoe will have to buy a wallbox with Mennekes to do the domestic charge at 10-16A.

There is a Euro "combo" standard, with a Mennekes up and a DC down. See at the VW e-Golf, for example:
But why should be the switch on the cable when every Mennekes station communicates with car's computer and sends the max current allowed by car's charger? The switch (automatic or in some case manual) should be only on wallbox or Mennekes station side.

Oh dear, Mennekes ...

The Mennekes on the photo uses a Schuko plug (230V/10A single phase) with a Mennekes plug (400V/32A 3-phase). It is difficult to tell whether the Mennekes plug wants to draw 3-phase from a german power point to feed it via the Schuko (forbidden because a plug must not feed) to your car or whether it wants to draw 230V/10A and invert it to 3-phase and feed your car. It could actually draw 230V/16A. That is how I burnt my Schuko. I replaced my Schuko with the blue one on the second photo. That is a CEE 230V/16A and it can do 16A long term.

The Mennekes plug is a 3-phase plug meant to do the same as the single phase Yazaki except for two more phases which are usually not even present in the power point and almost never in the car. So that 7 wires in the Menneks reduce to the same 5 wires in the Yazaki.

The Mennekes can do the same as a CEE 400V/32A except for the pilot and proximity. Proximity is used to code for either 16A or 32A. None of them can do real quick charging. In France the Mennekes is forbidden, I am told. France uses Marechal. Europe is devided in Mennekes, Marechal and CEE 230V16A. You can find CEE 230V16A even in France and Germany because in Caravan Parking it is mandatory.

The european Voltec EVSE might be interesting for Americans because they are L2. You can get them from Opel and they are cheap. I'd try Netherlands or Germany. Mine is reduced to 10A but L2 this is still a lot.

Barbagris said:
What do you want? 6A, 8A, 10A, 13A, 16A, 19A, 22A, 26A, 30A

I hope no more than 13A as the cable does not look capable of carrying more than that for long! MW

peterdambier said:
The Mennekes on the photo uses a Schuko plug (230V/10A single phase) with a Mennekes plug (400V/32A 3-phase). It is difficult to tell whether the Mennekes plug wants to draw 3-phase from a german power point to feed it via the Schuko (forbidden because a plug must not feed) to your car or whether it wants to draw 230V/10A and invert it to 3-phase and feed your car. It could actually draw 230V/16A.

It is clearer than you think… as the Mennekes 'plug' in the photo is, in fact, a socket as in, the 'female' side. The 'plug' has very obvious pins (I'm looking at one now) whereas the one in the photo has - not so obvious - holes to accept the 'male' plug pins. Ergo, the current 'flow' is clearly from Schuko to Mennekes. MW

martinwinlow said:
Barbagris said:

I hope no more than 13A as the cable does not look capable of carrying more than that for long! MW
The 3.3Kw charger in the car can't draw more than about 13.5 amps, no matter what you have it plugged in to

Don

Don said:
martinwinlow said:
Barbagris said:

The 3.3Kw charger in the car can't draw more than about 13.5 amps, no matter what you have it plugged in to

But your other car can be a 2013 Leaf... :D

Back