Canion

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After using the suggestions and having a successful trip with Canion, the application now simply locks up with the number of frames showing but not moving. The tablet itself is not locked as I can exit the application and got to the home page and open another application. I have tried running the tablet in performance mode but there doesn't seem to be any difference between interactive and performance mode. I'll send in my db file this morning and here are the specs for my tablet. I'm thinking that the exceptions are not being handled, I could be wrong - its just my gut instincts as a software engineer. Software should be able to exit gracefully from a crash and recover or report to the user that recovery is not possible without a reboot or something.

Don't take this as I'm complaining or anything. I feel I'm a test subject and trying out your application (which I really like). I know how it is, after working a week on a requirement and busting every fuse in my head I get a, Yeah but could you.. or sometimes just a No. That is not my take on my comments just wanted to report back what I'm experiencing.

Here are the specs on my tablet:

Android 4.2.2
Dual core CPU - latest Cortex A9, replacing A8, A7 and A5
Same graphic processor series as in iPad / Kindle
Dual Camera - front 0.3M, rear 0.3M
8GB storage expandable with MicroSD cards or USB flash drives
Multitouch Capacitive 800 x 480 display
Bluetooth
Mini HDMI port for external TV or monitor
Wireless 802.11 b/g/n
USB port for external keyboards, mouse, Ethernet adapters, USB flash drives, joysticks, etc (OTG)

I had a look now to your btcan.db. There are a lot of fps=0 in table SECLOG. No idea about the reason. Could you make a try with panel Trip Timer. Maybe there is a memoryleak in graphics-engine on drawing all the graphs. So please try panel Trip Timer, which only has labels.

Also: please make a file mainlog.txt & log.txt in \sdcard\bt_can. Then you'll get log-files for main-module and scanner-module. If there are some exceptions, we will see this in these logs.

Martin

me68 said:
I had a look now to your btcan.db. There are a lot of fps=0 in table SECLOG. No idea about the reason. Could you make a try with panel Trip Timer. Maybe there is a memoryleak in graphics-engine on drawing all the graphs. So please try panel Trip Timer, which only has labels.

Also: please make a file mainlog.txt & log.txt in \sdcard\bt_can. Then you'll get log-files for main-module and scanner-module. If there are some exceptions, we will see this in these logs.

Martin

Will do.

Last night, I tried to set the page to Trip Timer but the application was non-responsive. I went home and cleared out the application and all of the associated files, then reinstalled. I was then able to change the display to Trip Timer. I was able to make the entire trip plus a side trip to the dentist running CanIon without it locking up. I had turned off all GPS functions, the Cockpit and the Acc Pedal displays. I'll send you the db file again this morning. On the way home tonight, I'll try turning on the logs and send you those tomorrow.

MLucas said:
... I was able to make the entire trip plus a side trip to the dentist running CanIon without it locking up. ...
A new idea: the dentist running canion is maybe the key...

Bad joke, ok, but we will try to find a solution....

Xavier

I use Canion a lot. I'm addicted to it and i´m very lucky not to damage a tire or worst because of it. Until 123 I suspected temperatures were not real, specially the high values that I could see sometimes.

Just being honest and trying to help. I think now is worst then before. I park the car outside by night. At night temperatures go under 16º C, but battery temperatures don´t go down, stay at 21º C all night. I think that can´t be right. I believe now it is not getting the lower temperatures correctly.

I'll probably jinx myself, but I seem to have gotten CaniOn to run pretty well on my Captivate. I reloaded the phone with Slimbean 4.1.2, Nova Launcher, a rotation locker, and Impel.

I have the phone set up to turn on Bluetooth and open CaniOn when power is supplied to the phone (through the USB port on the radio). I've disabled the lock screen and have the phone set to change the screen timeout to 30 minutes with power (not an issue since CaniOn keeps the screen on), and set it to 15 seconds without power. It closes CaniOn and turns off Bluetooth when power is removed and automatically turns off due to the short screen timeout.

A couple of issues I've seen with this is now the phone is almost too fast, getting CaniOn open before the Bluetooth radio can come online. Also, since I'm sending power to the phone through the radio, the phone prompts to enable USB storage. I've turned this off before, I just have to remember how. I've also turned off gauge cluster and map views in CaniOn, as well as a couple of graphs and GPS functionality (the GPS in the Captivate is terrible, I'm halfway to work before it locks in).

What I really like about SlimBean (besides the blistering speed on a 5 year old phone, it's faster than my S3) is that it has an option to show a battery charge bar across the top of the phone screen. It's probably more of a feature plus for me since this phone has a history of random shutdowns and draining the battery in a few hours while sleeping, but it's a great way to show at-a-glance the charge level of the battery.

I've noticed that the battery temperatures are more in line now than with previous versions. Sensor 64 wasn't way above the rest as it was before.

Now just to hardwire the OBDLink so I can hook up my OVMS module again.

MLucas said:
What about using Tasker to order the app starts and sense the power settings on your tablet.
I've never tried Tasker. I use Impel for these functions. It's a paid app (there is a free version, though I think it's a time trial). I would like to see more options with Impel, though.

I'm going to back up what malm mentioned about inaccurate temp of the cells.

I left the car outside for 3 days while on vacation morning temps were about 16 deg c but the cells all seemed to be at 21-22 deg. Pretty sure that is wrong. Using the latest release of canion.

Don.....

DonDakin said:
I'm going to back up what malm mentioned about inaccurate temp of the cells.

I left the car outside for 3 days while on vacation morning temps were about 16 deg c but the cells all seemed to be at 21-22 deg. Pretty sure that is wrong. Using the latest release of canion.

Don.....

And I haven´t changed my opinion since I said it for the first time. I see exactly the same thing that is mentioned by Don.

OBDLINK MX WIFI operational on canion.
Hello I made a small change in canion to test the new MX Wifi.
It works fine, I will do more tests to check the stability.
I tested the interface using the default AP mode, so there is no more access to internet when using canion....

Bonsoir,

regarding BT vs Wifi, have a look there

regarding iOs: I know nothing about this world and I am too old for a new training (and in fact, I am not at all interested)....

Xavier

Any chance of making the canion source code available on github or some other shared repository for tweaking and learning ?
An obvious customization would be to convert km to miles. I am sure the app will be extended in various ways if an open source approach is adopted

Thanks in advance

priusfan said:
regarding BT vs Wifi, have a look there
The ScanTool forum includes many complaints about the WiFi version refusing to sleep which could then drain the car's 12 v. battery. Apparently the WiFi version awakens every 7 seconds to spend 6 seconds looking for a WiFi connection attempt. If no attempt exists, it sleeps. It also looks for changes in voltage within the 12 v. system to determine when to sleep and awaken, so that opening a door drops the voltage enough to awaken it. Such polling systems are certainly not energy efficient, but maybe that's the only way to detect a WiFi connection attempt.

Because our 12 v. system is charged by the DC-DC converter which might turn off and on when the car is running based on the 12 v. load and the 12 v. battery's charge level, I hope that the OBDLink doesn't sleep at inappropriate times.

Does your OBDLink WiFi sleep when the car isn't running? Have you experienced any WiFi connection problems such as failure to connect or hold a connection? Both of these problems are mentioned in the ScanTool forum.

priusfan said:
regarding iOs: I know nothing about this world and I am too old for a new training (and in fact, I am not at all interested)....
As a retired Apple software engineer, I am interested :) I am also old, but I am currently learning Apple's new programming language, Swift. If the OBDLink MX WiFi works well, it should be possible for me to write an iOS version of Canion eventually, if you're interested.

dq11 said:
Any chance of making the canion source code available on github or some other shared repository for tweaking and learning ?
An obvious customization would be to convert km to miles.
I'd like to see that happen - The car is easily switched between km and miles . . . . it would be very nice if Canion could be as well

Don

Hello

I sent a pm to alohart.

I will send him the details for the mecanism to get the data from this car by mail when he contacts me.

Xavier

ps: the guys from ovms got them already.....

priusfan said:
I sent a pm to alohart.

I will send him the details for the mechanism to get the data from this car by mail when he contacts me.
Thanks to Xavier for sending the data retrieval information to me. I will be studying this to learn as much as I can about how to parse the incoming CAN data stream. But I won't be back in Honolulu for 2 months, so I won't be able to buy an OBDLink MX WiFi and start any real testing until after I return. So don't expect an iOS version of Canion anytime soon :)

alohart said:
But I won't be back in Honolulu for 2 months, so I won't be able to buy an OBDLink MX WiFi and start any real testing until after I return. So don't expect an iOS version of Canion anytime soon :)

Thank you Xavier and Art! I'd be quite glad to see that happen.

Back