Anyone has a i-MiEV older then mine here?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In April it went to the garage to the annual check. They said that was everything alright.

As i said, maybe mine shows what it´s like an i-MiEV with 15% battery degradation. In Portugal, the majority of the Leafs with the same age and miles have lost one bar. Some of them lost two. This is equal to more then 15% and 22% battery degradation. So, i think i can be happy with my i-MiEV.

To those who have Canion, can you tell me how much SoC it gets in a full charge. Mine charges to 96% of SoC.

PV1 said:
Mine hits 100% and keeps going. I guess it balances during this?

At 100%, what is the voltage, and the medium value of voltage of each cell?

4,105 or 4,11 is the medium value of mine, Voltage at maximum is 361.

PV1 said:
Malm said:
Same. All cells within .005 volts.

Interesting. Gets the same voltage, but not the same SoC. Sometimes i can get a little more, like 97,5%, sometimes the cells are more balanced at lower SoC (specially when i let it standing for some time with 30% of SoC, or when i go charging downhill arround 20% of SoC), maybe sometimes i can get to 9% of SoC and see my turtle.

Even though the voltage is relatively stable with lithium, you'll still see voltage sag under load and regen, which helps to explain why you can hit different SoC's depending on how you drive. The car terminates charging if voltage gets too high overall or on a single cell, same as when driving for voltages too low. If you drive very easily, keeping the power gauge below the C in ECO, you might be able to get to very low SoC.

You definitely have cells that have lost capacity. It also proves for the most part that the car top balances. If it would bottom balance instead, you'd have no trouble running past empty (into the reserve), but may only get to 75-80% SoC. This does have a side benefit of protecting the healthy cells from high charge levels when other cells start getting weak. Charging would terminate when the weakest cell hits the high voltage cutoff.

Malm said:
PV1 said:
Malm said:
Same. All cells within .005 volts.

Interesting. Gets the same voltage, but not the same SoC. Sometimes i can get a little more, like 97,5%, sometimes the cells are more balanced at lower SoC (specially when i let it standing for some time with 30% of SoC, or when i go charging downhill arround 20% of SoC), maybe sometimes i can get to 9% of SoC and see my turtle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-IGctenit4

My i-MiEV is not so bad, after all.

My imiev has now done 58k miles, does the battery degradation show up in the state of charge meter ie is everybody's imiev still showing 16 bars?

Easycarex said:
My imiev has now done 58k miles, does the battery degradation show up in the state of charge meter ie is everybody's imiev still showing 16 bars?
Yours is one of the highest-mileage i-MiEVs out there. So far, the only time the car has failed to display all 16 bars when fully fully charged is when one or more cells are failing. The car evidently undergoes a periodic recalibration (invisible to us) and its diminished capacity is absorbed by a decreased turtle range as well as perhaps fewer miles per bar on the fuel gauge.

Thanks for the information. I was suspicious that I have lost at least 10% battery capacity just on the range display.

If your driving is consistent, you'll likely see capacity loss in the RR figure after a full charge. For example, Bear, my primary car, has a healthy pack, and I can RR estimates in the 70's (sometimes 80's) in the summer, and values in the 60's in the winter.

Koorz, my secondary car which other people drive, is showing signs of capacity loss, most likely from lithium plating, which is caused by charging when the pack is below freezing (0 C, 32 F). I see RR values from low 50's to mid 60's in the winter, and values in the 60's (sometimes in the 70's) in the summer. I've also noticed a couple of times that if I drive a certain distance, park the car for a few minutes, then start it back up, I'll gain both a bar and a few miles RR.

However, both cars charge to 16 bars on the gauge. As Joe said, for a car to not charge to 16 bars, there may be a cell failing, or if the pack was idle for a long time, it may be imbalanced, which the car will correct over several full charge cycles (down to 2 bars and fully recharged). Bear's original pack developed a failing cell at 21,000 miles. After each charge, I had less bars and RR. By the time of the appointment at the dealer, it took two charging stops to go from the house to the dealer (20 miles distance).

Back