Looking at a 2012 w/28k miles and almost fully depleted battery

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefro

I came across a MIEV on Facebook Marketplace with 28k miles for $1400. While the condition looks excellent, the seller says they don't have a charger and the picture they posted shows absolutely empty for the charge gage. It's something I'm looking for my kid as a first car to drive to and from school and around the neighborhood. We're an all electric family that drives two Tesla vehicles so we're familiar with EV life. I'm including the dash picture from the ad.

I'm trying to figure out if this is worth taking a look at and what steps I would need to take to evaluate this car to see if it's worth purchasing. I was thinking of buying a charger and taking it over there to see if it accepts a charge. If it does and the seller is amenable, leaving it overnight and seeing what the car looks like the next day. Worse case, it doesn't charge and I walk away. Best case, it charges up to at least 30 miles of range and I'm in business. Thoughts? Any other red/green flags I should look for?

Attachments

• 461627600_3885898534993173_8863013395972712086_n.jpg
    461627600_3885898534993173_8863013395972712086_n.jpg
    82.4 KB
You will need a good strong 12V battery to replace the old, weak or worn out one in that car, as the 12V battery warning lamp is lit.

In many cases that is the cause for all the other issues and DTCs due to lack of CAN buss communication from the dead 12V supply.

The main contactors in the HV pack can't close unless there is a strong 12V supply available, so no charging would be possible.

With a strong 12V supply the CAN Buss should come alive and report DTCs and also cell voltages in the pack (with canion or one of the other miev apps).

i got a Laef for free in the same situation--the pack was "dead" and wouldn't start, the dealer said it needed a new pack, and the owner didn't want to pay for that.

So i went over and replaced the 12V, cleared the DTCs a few times, then it started up and i drove it home. My kids used it all thru high school and saved $$ not buying gasoline.

i got a great deal on a mazda B2300 truck (fresh tires and cold A/C) that way also. Owner was gonna sell it to a crusher for $246 because it wouldn't start or run. i said that's crazy and would give him 250. for it. Took the battery out and charged it, put a gallon of gas in the empty tank, and drove it out of there... :LOL:

You will need a good strong 12V battery to replace the old, weak or worn out one in that car, as the 12V battery warning lamp is lit.

In many cases that is the cause for all the other issues and DTCs due to lack of CAN buss communication from the dead 12V supply.

The main contactors in the HV pack can't close unless there is a strong 12V supply available, so no charging would be possible.

With a strong 12V supply the CAN Buss should come alive and report DTCs and also cell voltages in the pack (with canion or one of the other miev apps).

i got a Laef for free in the same situation--the pack was "dead" and wouldn't start, the dealer said it needed a new pack, and the owner didn't want to pay for that.

So i went over and replaced the 12V, cleared the DTCs a few times, then it started up and i drove it home. My kids used it all thru high school and saved $$ not buying gasoline.

i got a great deal on a mazda B2300 truck (fresh tires and cold A/C) that way also. Owner was gonna sell it to a crusher for $246 because it wouldn't start or run. i said that's crazy and would give him 250. for it. Took the battery out and charged it, put a gallon of gas in the empty tank, and drove it out of there... :LOL:
Thanks for the detailed reply!

I will take a fully charged 51R battery (which I've read works as a substitute for the standard 151R) with me along with my Tesla charger with a J1772 adapter when I take a look at it.

I'm researching the caniOn app and will try to buy a OBD Bluetooth adapter too before I go.

Hopeful I can get it revived and it's in decent condition.

i think a 51R (Laef battery size) is too big to fit--i made that mistake over the covid period.

Pro-tip to save your sanity and wrists: remove all the harness straps and brackets holding the positive battery cable in place. They must have tightened it in place after the battery was attached as it is nearly impossible to remove and install a battery with that big red fuse holder and mess in the way. It is overly constrained and PITA.

You could possibly use jumper cables and leave the old one in place, but i would remove the negative terminal to take the old battery completely out of the electrical path. Which in this case you could use any big-ass battery as the new supply.

Last edited:
While the condition looks excellent, the seller says they don't have a charger and the picture they posted shows absolutely empty for the charge gage. Any other red/green flags I should look for?
It seems a bit too convenient showing an apparent ‘empty’ tank and no charger to verify that the car actually works?

Not saying it’s a scam but the same symptoms could also be the result of a faulty OBC and some issues with the HV pack (CMU errors)

As @kiev mentioned a new 12V Aux is a must, then read/clear DTCs via OBD and try to charge it. You can read out the current pack capacity but keep in mind that this value is only accurate after a full battery calibration.

Back