I'm buying a non-runner MIEV here in Japan!

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you purchase it from the scantool.net website, or a verified distributor?

What type of screw head is used on your LX? There are counterfeits out there and they use a different screw and the guts of it use the ELM chipset--total fake out.

They have an app for ICE cars, OBDLink, and it also works with the app, Torque.

i've used it with leafspy on my 2012 laef.

The Blueteeth radio has to "pair" to another device; you should be able to "see" a list of devices it finds when the radio is turned on.
Got it from amazon japan. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it. Box was very deluxe. Seemed legit. I'll keep trying with it.

Had to sleep the whole afternoon. Probably started to get a little heat stroke trying to work during high noon today.

Yeah, apps see it in the bluetooth list as the LX. None of the apps had any data populate the screens though so was frustrating.

I thought I could at least test it with my prius, leaf and alphard first. Didn't try the alphard yet. Might tomorrow. Will have to wait until I have the miev.

Any benefit to buying the icarsoft i909 for mitsubishi scanner or using the winxp french citroen/triplet 7.5x software? Or trying to find a MUT3?

Or not necessary these days? I was able to grab the virtualbox image and got it up and running this afternoon. Seems I need to find the correct dongle for it from aliexpress? Found the MUT3 software on yahoo auctions, but seems there's more needed for a hardware piece? Gotta read some more threads it seems. Found one MUT3 but listed as 'junk', so not guarantee it works.

Last edited:
The most basic information required to give you an idea of pack ‘health’ is age and mileage, another hint is that from about mid/late 2012 cars manufactured (not sold) were equipped with the much improved (as far as degradation goes) LEV50N cells.

Unfortunately there is no definitive way to determine the performance of a pack until you run a battery calibration which requires a working car and about a day to do.

It’s possible to read out CMU data (cell voltage/temperatures) of a removed pack similar to a Leaf but that gives no clue about its remaining capacity.

You might be better off going for a NMC upgrade in the long run:

https://myimiev.com/threads/main-traction-battery-upgrade-i-miev.5458/
Thanks. Anyone trying LFP cells instead of NMC? I'd read before that NMC are more volatile and at increased risk of thermal runaway compared to LFP.

I'm hoping sodium ion figures out their issue soon so they become a thing. Zero chance of fires with those. Too bad their power per pound is still lower.

Cycles are much higher too.

I may just end up ordering cells from china and rebuilding the pack myself to get it as high of a kWh as I can. Lots to study up on before that stage.

Might get a pack off of yahoo auctions to play with first since they're so cheap. Plus can play with the one that's in it.

Were any of those links or info of benefit? Or already all well known?

Any benefit to buying the icarsoft i909 for mitsubishi scanner or using the winxp french citroen/triplet 7.5x software? Or trying to find a MUT3?

Or not necessary these days?
Afaik there are two apps that have been confirmed to be able to read/clear DCTs on triplet; HobDrive and CarScanner. I have used them both with my trusted OBDLink LX on an Android 5/8 phone/tablet. These are generic apps, you need to select the correct car in the profile.

Lexia/Diagbox clones are ‘poor men’s’ MUT3s but work surprisingly well, even on an IMiev.

The MUT/Lexia/Diagbox tools are the OEM devices used by the techs at the dealerships. They likely meet or exceed the requirements of the SAE J2534 spec for pass thru programming, which defines diagnostic "modes" (e.g mode 06 or 09), and can read/write data and clear any codes.

They consist of a windoze laptop/pc to run the MUT/Lexia/Diagbox software; a USB cable to connect to the VCI, Vehicle Communication Interface, a little black box that converts CAN buss signals to serial data; and another cable to connect the VCI to the OBDII port.

Most of the aftermarket scan tools have gotten better over time with more features and smaller size, and can operate in more "modes". The Launch scanners are based upon the X431 chipset. For example the i909 is an "old" x431 device compared to the new stuff which can run on a phone or tablet now. The i909 is a nice and simple code reader, but can't clear all codes. For the same money i would consider buying something newer.

The MUT/Lexia/Diagbox tools are the OEM devices used by the techs at the dealerships. They likely meet or exceed the requirements of the SAE J2534 spec for pass thru programming, which defines diagnostic "modes" (e.g mode 06 or 09), and can read/write data and clear any codes.

They consist of a windoze laptop/pc to run the MUT/Lexia/Diagbox software; a USB cable to connect to the VCI, Vehicle Communication Interface, a little black box that converts CAN buss signals to serial data; and another cable to connect the VCI to the OBDII port.

Most of the aftermarket scan tools have gotten better over time with more features and smaller size, and can operate in more "modes". The Launch scanners are based upon the X431 chipset. For example the i909 is an "old" x431 device compared to the new stuff which can run on a phone or tablet now. The i909 is a nice and simple code reader, but can't clear all codes. For the same money i would consider buying something newer.
Thanks for that. Is there a particular recommended cable I can use for MUT/Lexia/Diagbox that's known to be working well with them and of reasonable price? I see a bunch on aliexpress but am unsure which to buy. Lots of MUT3 options at a wide range of price points, as well as Mongoose JLR or plus, openport 2.0 or even the Lexia if it will work with a JDM miev.

I'll of course be using what I have already first to see if it's adequate. But want to get my bearings on these higher end OEM level devices should I need or want to go that route as well.

Since the miev is so old now I've read the latest versions of MUT3 and all other tools latest updates really aren't required, right? I just need to confirm if there's a universal cable I could get that would work with all of the above tools. That would be handy to have so I can play around with them all with a single cable.

In addition to the above, I'll also still look into the launch line of products again. Was looking at them a few months ago. Wasn't sure if Autel was the best since they seem to be the leader over launch? Or does Launch work better with the miev perhaps?

There's a J2534 thread on the forum that may be of interest.

i think Piev has had good luck using the Tactrix Openport 2.0 device with a laptop to run a MUT software, worth looking into that solution.

Also gary12345 has some video showing a nice large screen device. Have to search on his posts.

All of the dongle devices use the Hayes AT Modem commands to initialize communications. The apps and high end devices wrap higher levels of GUI or UI to send those commands and interpret the results.

With the right hardware, such as the Openport, you can send your own commands and requests for data directly from a terminal window on a pc laptop. (roll yer own option)

At the end of the day, we are at the mercy of the programmers as to whether or not a given device/code will perform and do what we need or want.

Last edited:
Back