I-Miev battery upgrade

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjg0711

Hi Folks;
Just became aware of this great battery and systems upgrade.
https://www.ozelectricvehicles.com/mitsubishi-i-miev

Unfortunately, this service is not available in the U.S. When I asked if they could just send me the new battery pack and software upgrades, they said "This is not an easy upgrade, and we don't think you are capable of doing it." OK.

So, if they ever have a U.S. outlet and/or service, we in the States may benefit.

The upgrade increases range from 65 miles to 125 miles. There are also added functionality in the on-board software. Very Cool!

Not many I-Miev's were sold in the U.S. so there might not be a business case for expanding into the U.S. market. Also, I don't know if these upgrades can be applied to a U.S. spec I-Miev. hmmmmmm.........

Marty
Portland, Oregon

Hi Marty,

Thanks for sharing this exciting find! The battery and systems upgrade for the Mitsubishi I-Miev sounds like a significant improvement, especially with the doubled range and added functionalities in the software.

It's a bit disappointing that the service isn't currently available in the U.S., but hopefully, they'll consider expanding in the future. The potential for increased range is always a welcomed enhancement.

If there are any updates or if they decide to offer the upgrade in the U.S., it could be a game-changer for I-Miev owners here.

Fingers crossed for future developments!

Best,

petroben said:
If there are any updates or if they decide to offer the upgrade in the U.S., it could be a game-changer for I-Miev owners here.

From memory these guys license/train/certify garages to do the upgrade locally. This isn’t going to happen for free and the local guys need an incentive i.e. guarantee upgrades to offer this service.

If we want this to happen anywhere in the world then we need to be proactive and gather interested owners and approach local ‘EV friendly’ workshops with a firm commitment.

Mickey

They also have a page that claims BMW i3 upgrades are coming mid-2023 and Leaf upgrades mid-2022. Not sure they are still in business if they can't keep their website current.

The 250km upgrade is listed as $16K, almost twice what we paid for the car. Not sure the current range, but the car still claims 70+ miles at 100% on the GoM

They also have a page that claims BMW i3 upgrades are coming mid-2023 and Leaf upgrades mid-2022. Not sure they are still in business if they can't keep their website current.

The 250km upgrade is listed as $16K, almost twice what we paid for the car. Not sure the current range, but the car still claims 70+ miles at 100% on the GoM
The aim of the guys down under was never to undercut the Mitsu battery replacement price rather to give better value for money, e.g. twice the original range and a few other improvements.

Although feedback of owners that went ahead is very positive, it’s a big investment/gamble considering that while the battery is good for another 10years, the triplet could be off the road a lot sooner due to lack of spares/donor cars..

I hope I can find a way for several I-Miev owners to do this. JRAY (member) is interested in doing the work up in Washington state. But he has to commit to a few upgrade jobs before OZ will start sending packs/software/instruction. I really do not want to send my I-Miev to the crusher. My car lives in a salt-free environment, so no rust.

Take another look at that website, https://www.ozelectricvehicles.com/mitsubishi-i-miev. In fact, in their list there is one licensee in CA USA. You can email them. There's also a very helpful infomercial from the Queensland shop.
Ted
Did some internet sleuthing and it appears no such business exists at that address or, frankly, at all. The only reference besides the unlinked entry on the Oz site was a two year old link to yellow pages dot com.

TL;dr - that’s a dead end

Agreed, mallthus, it's strange that Jeff at CALMAX Fine Cars hasn't been very communicative or set up any sort of website. HowEVer, you haven't introduced yourself here either. We'd like to hear of your experiences with the i-MiEV and battery upgrade interest.

Did some internet sleuthing and it appears no such business exists at that address or, frankly, at all. The only reference besides the unlinked entry on the Oz site was a two year old link to yellow pages dot com.
Hi ,, new websiite just gone up at OZ Electric.. calmax is the only installer yet in USA.. I think people underestimate what R+D is involved and this takes time.. so outlander rolling out soon , nissan leaf 2 x prototypes in test and I3 will have to wait awhile.. Cheers Graeme @ OZELECTRICVEHICLES>COM

Back