Heating the Battery

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

behaluka

Has anyone done some experimentation with preconditioning the battery?
I'm often in the mountains and it would be super nice if I could properly use the regen if I drive down with a cold car in the morning.
I'm aware that the temperature control is only by air from stock but maybe someone came up with something smarter? heating blankets? would it even make a difference?

Heated garage?

If your car has the CHAdeMON option there is a motorised damper to direct cooled air into the pack.

It’s possible to manually move it into that position, probable not as simple as just turning on the heat and fans full blast and direct the air to footwell afterwards or is it?

That aside, the heater will only work with the car in ready (unless you have the remote) therefore any additional regen gained will be a fraction of the energy used to heat the batteries.

But such a method may be essential for NMC conversion as the cells may be damaged when charged (regen) in freezing temperatures.

Last edited:
Heated garage?

If your car has the CHAdeMON option there is a motorised damper to direct cooled air into the pack.

It’s possible to manually move it into that position, probable not as simple as just turning on the heat and fans full blast and direct the air to footwell afterwards or is it?

That aside, the heater will only work with the car in ready (unless you have the remote) therefore any additional regen gained will be a fraction of the energy used to heat the batteries.

But such a method may be essential for NMC conversion as they may be damaged when charged (regen) in freezing temperatures.
Yes the whole thing becomes more important in the face of the conversion.
I have Chademo and Remote. By damper do you mean a valve that redirects the air? Do you know physically where this is?
I could check it out.. maybe I can think something manual up.
That said in general: Are there publicly available service manuals for this car? Or even repair manuals? I'd love to read more into the whole thing.

Yes the whole thing becomes more important in the face of the conversion.
I have Chademo and Remote. By damper do you mean a valve that redirects the air? Do you know physically where this is?
I could check it out.. maybe I can think something manual up.
See below for more details
https://myimiev.com/threads/battery-air-intake.2324/
That said in general: Are there publicly available service manuals for this car? Or even repair manuals? I'd love to read more into the whole thing.
http://mmc-manuals.ru/Mitsubishi_i-MiEV:_Service_Manuals

Back