Who's trying to kill the electric car this time?

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As to individual passenger cars, the points raised have merit. However, with fleets and commercial operations, I think that the jury as to the use of hydrogen is still out, see the Riversimple topic ( http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3011 ) and the posts in that topic concerning Aberdeen and the Hykangoo, for instance. Obviously not all inclusive as there are also a number of bus operations elsewhere using or experimenting with hydrogen including ACTransit in California: http://www.actransit.org/environment/the-hyroad/

These seem to be successful at this point and the Riversimple car experiment is still pending.

I'm surprised that conservatives in America are not into conservation. Why don't they want to conserve oil and coal for future generation? There is only a finite amount of that stuff whereas wind and sun is infinite (ok they will last as long as the sun burns, which is 5 billion more years vs 50 for oil and 500 for coal.

genec said:
I'm surprised that conservatives in America are not into conservation. Why don't they want to conserve oil and coal for future generation? There is only a finite amount of that stuff whereas wind and sun is infinite (ok they will last as long as the sun burns, which is 5 billion more years vs 50 for oil and 500 for coal.

Couldn't agree more: use oil for aviation until there is a solution, use Coal for the developed world until the renewable technology gets cheap enough to adopt.

Private car transportation by renewables has been solved now, but it's not that cheap yet.

I interpret the word 'conservative' in the political sense to mean 'against any change at all' and 'for the established wealthy', rather than the utilitarian interpretation.

Political orientation and approach to conservation are probably not that well correlated. There percentage of early adopters like us is tiny compared to a large percentage who either (or a combination of more than one):

-Don't understand what they are doing
-Don't care what they are doing
-Cant afford to change
-Won't change because they have too much money
-Have business interests one way or another
-Just simply refuse to change behaviors or approach for whatever reason
-Think in a totally different way / make decisions using a very different rationale

Back