Stereo Intermittant Fault

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boscoe

Hey Everyone, my radio/CD player has an intermittent fault: it says "DC error". When I try to turn it on it will say that for a second and go off. Sometimes on a subsequent start-up the stereo will be normal...thanks for any input. p.s. it is the basic stereo

boscoe said:
Hey Everyone, my radio/CD player has an intermittent fault: it says "DC error". When I try to turn it on it will say that for a second and go off. Sometimes on a subsequent start-up the stereo will be normal...thanks for any input. p.s. it is the basic stereo
I had a problem where mine would just go dead at random times...no error messages. Took it to the dealer and it turned out to be a fuse that was not pushed in right. You might want to check that.

mine did that and then after a little time it just always said DC Error it ended up being a lose conection under the dash for the radio it took them about 6 hours to find it and 2 I cars.

Everything has been fine from there on out.

My stereo still doesn't work. The dealer has swapped head units,checked wiring and can't find anything. They opened the door panels and discovered i have after market speakers. They blamed my problems on that. I don't understand how the speakers would cause this fault but, maybe it's true. Moral of the story: be careful changing speakers I guess. :roll:

I checked on another thread and it was that one of the speaker lines in the aftermarket speakers was getting grounded. This means the wires were touching the metal door structure.

As far as the intermittent radio failure (not the DC Error message), there are some fuses in the fuse box (inside the vehicle, left side [for US]) that have a yellow, plastic surround. This allows for quick disconnect of the radio for storage of the vehicle. However, the surround is poorly made and doesn't allow the fuses to sit completely into their slots.

The fix is to gently pull the surround back (do not remove it!), then firmly push it back into place. Use a pen or something smallish and plastic to push the fuses themselves in farther. This fixed my issue of the radio not working consistently, but presets and clock were still intact.

Sorry for the large picture. This site doesn't support the TIMG tag.

ZMkzFgQ.jpg

Just wanted to thank people for being active on a forum like this, I purchased my i-Miev in May, radio went "intermittent in late June, I live quite far from the dealer, so I decided to google and voila! Minutes later problem fixed, back to being a happy camper!

Thanks again

boscoe said:
My stereo still doesn't work. The dealer has swapped head units,checked wiring and can't find anything. They opened the door panels and discovered i have after market speakers. They blamed my problems on that. I don't understand how the speakers would cause this fault but, maybe it's true. Moral of the story: be careful changing speakers I guess. :roll:
Yep, this happened to me because of aftermarket speakers I put in the back doors. Somehow one of the speaker contacts (through the frame of the speaker perhaps or just incidentally) hit the door frame and caused the error. I put some electrical tape around it, and it solved the problem.

Back