Reactions from bystanders

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RobbW said:
Okay, I have to ask. I sounds like a few of you have taken the opportunity to surprise some folks with our iMiEV's unexpected pep. I was wondering if those who have punched the go pedal cold expound upon our cars' abilities in such situations? The last thing I'd want to do is finally give in to my temptation only to be ridiculed and embarrassed for my car's poor performance. I'd like to know what she can do without risking damage trying to find out!
Well, the short form is that the i goes like all get-out off the line (you will dust anything short of a Vette - or another EV), but be warned that you're back into normal territory fairly quickly - your annoyed counterpart will overtake you right quick if you're both going flat out. Thing is, in normal traffic situations, there really isn't that much room to build up speed, so the i's advantage is significant. It's especially useful in those occasional "oh, we have two lanes here at the light, but one goes away in a forced merge on the other side of the intersection" situations (I've never understood the traffic engineering logic of such a design, which seems to guarantee a high level of traffic "friction"), especially when the guy next to you in the SUV is revving his dino-burner in obvious anticipation of crowding you out of the way. At such times it's a great pleasure to leave them quietly behind and be on your way - you can just get where you need to be before they're able to belch up enough torque to compete.

As to hurting your EV, that's kind of a yes and no thing. I doubt it much matters to your tires, etc., and the motor's quite happy to take off energetically, BUT you should note that full throttle acceleration AND heavy regen do "exercise" the battery's chemistry and whittle a wee bit off its range/life. As long as you're not jack-rabbiting off every light, it's no big deal, but if it becomes your standard way of dashing around town, yeah, I do think that will probably reduce range over time. Mitsubishi says as much in the disclosure documents, in that depressing part where they discuss why their warranty does not cover "normal" loss of range over time

Vike said:
It's especially useful in those occasional "oh, we have two lanes here at the light, but one goes away in a forced merge on the other side of the intersection" situations (I've never understood the traffic engineering logic of such a design, which seems to guarantee a high level of traffic "friction"), especially when the guy next to you in the SUV is revving his dino-burner in obvious anticipation of crowding you out of the way. At such times it's a great pleasure to leave them quietly behind and be on your way - you can just get where you need to be before they're able to belch up enough torque to compete.

So, no sooner had I posted my question about the i's capabilities, I ended up in the exact situation Vike described. On my way to and from work, there is one particular intersection in a more rural part of my commute where the left lane ends shortly after the intersection. I, too, have often wondered what purpose such roadway features could possibly have other than to cause strife and disrespect among fellow commuters. I always make a point to stay in the lane that continues as I always hate it when other drivers fly up in the ending lane and force their way into the merge. If I don't like others doing it, I'm certainly not going to do it myself no matter how tempting it may be, even when there is a loaded 18-wheeler directly in front of me.

Tonight on my way home from work, I ended up stopped first in line at this intersection. A woman on her cell phone in a nice shiny black Lexus SUV came flying up behind me. Watching in my rear-view mirror, I could see the look of disdain on her when face when she saw this tiny weird-looking card in front of her. She quickly yanked over to the left lane and came to a stop about a full car length in front of me obviously intending to beat me out at the lane merge. Thinking back to this thread, I decided, "Aw, what the hell?!" I bumped the gear up to "D" (I usually drive in Eco mode) and kept a close eye on the cross traffic's stoplight. Once the left-turners got their arrow and our main light turned green, I immediately floored it. While I wasn't thrust back into my seat, I was quite pleased with the rapid acceleration, even more so as I looked in my side and rear-view mirrors and saw the Lexus well behind me. The most gratifying part was hearing the Lexus engine revving to full RPM trying to catch up but still beating it to the merge by a full 3-4 car lengths! For the next 1.5 miles, she rode my tail something fierce until her turn off, still chatting away on the phone I might add!

So, from my first experience, I figure as long as there is a limited amount of space that needs to be covered, and I can catch the other driver off-guard, I should be able to leave most other drivers choking on electrons. Of course, I have no plans to do this frequently. Maybe only when the other driver is being particularly obnoxious and NOT driving a super sportscar!

There are two souls living in my heart. The day before yesterday saving electricity and climbing Mount Katzenbuckel (636 meters from about 100 meters) and traveling 118 kilometers that day. We could have done it on a single charge, but why? We found a new power socket to increase our range in a new direction.

The other soul is fighting big and loud cars, even motorcycles and I have to keep them separate.

Shift gear? They have lost the run for the next roundabout as soon as they shift gears.

Automatic? They have lost as soon as I lift my foot from the break and I get a second chance when the automatic does switch gears.

Most dramatically, we do not make noise. Seemingly effortlessly we get away from those roaring gas giants. Meeting my first soul again, seemingly effortlessly we get away from standing in a queue at one of those smelling gas stations.

Sometimes I feel like letting the gas giants get away and watching their red breaking lights and their red faces in their mirrors. Listening to Buddhist Mantras on a CD ... that solves another problem - noise. I like crawling with our windows open. We are already silent so the music need not be loud.

Apropos, Buddhist Mantras do increase range dramatically even when driving in "B" as I do most of the time.

peterdambier said:
Most dramatically, we do not make noise. Seemingly effortlessly we get away from those roaring gas giants.

Yes, another thing I've noticed as a new a EV owner. The noise from other ICE cars has become so noticeable it's almost deafening. I never really noticed or cared about it before, unless it was one of those F&F rice burners or Harleys with their obnoxiously-loud tailpipes (why in the world are motorcycles exempt from vehicular noise ordinances anyway?) I now notice every ICE as I'm driving, and it's really starting to irritate me! Sitting at an exceptionally loud intersection last night, I was trying to imagine how quiet traffic would be if everyone drove EVs. Of course, you'd still have the jerks with their horns!

Sorry for OT: Many motorcycles have loud pipes to help increase their "visibility". If there is a loud motorcycle nearby, you know it. As a motorcyclist, anything but the loudest pipes makes you invisible to car drivers who are not paying attention. I have the road rash to prove it. :cry:

I can kind of see that being necessary, except that all the crotch rockets and Goldwings and such are significantly quieter and don't seem to have any more problems with being seen than Harleys with loud pipes. And if it truly is a visibility (audio) issue, then why not limit the pipes to being just loud enough to be visible? Why do Harleys have to sit at stoplights revving their engines and then intentionally takeoff in such a manner as to produce as much noise as possible? It's like they see the loud noise as a badge of honor somehow, when everyone other than Harley owners find it to be annoying and obnoxious.

Vike said:
(you will dust anything short of a Vette),As to hurting your EV, that's kind of a yes and no thing. I doubt it much matters to your tires, etc., and the motor's quite happy to take off energetically, BUT you should note that full throttle acceleration AND heavy regen do "exercise" the battery's chemistry and whittle a wee bit off its range/life. As long as you're not jack-rabbiting off every light, it's no big deal, but if it becomes your standard way of dashing around town, yeah, I do think that will probably reduce range over time. Mitsubishi says as much in the disclosure documents, in that depressing part where they discuss why their warranty does not cover "normal" loss of range over time

When it's wet, you will not dust, but definitely 'spray' a Vette! The poor beasts can't control traction like we do. I had a C6 Vette fishtail twice trying to catch up to me!

Regarding loud pipes saving lives, I say they're near worthless, (the pipes, not the lives) as I usually don't hear em until the bike is close alongside or ahead of me. Only way to notice a fool closing fast in the right lane is to keep an eye out. If one pipe exited forward (preferably right between the handlebars ;) )and one to the rear, then that would be a defensible noise maker! I've been so startled by loud pipes blasting past as to nearly leave my lane...

I'll take the bait on the 'Loud Pipes Saves Lives' thing. I just feel they piss people off is all they do. If people are lost in their texting they won't hear it regardless. I rode for five years until I adopted my son last year, I feel following David Hough's advice is best - the author of Proficient Motorcycling. Saved my butt many times!

Wow! I didn't mean to completely derail this thread! :twisted:

FWIW: My motorcycle didn't have an annoying loud exhaust. I did have two cars swerve into my lane because they didn't see me. It's also quite challenging to kick a car while riding a motorcycle -- but very satisfying. :cool:

Why did I get rid of my bike? I got T-boned by a 18-year-old driver who wasn't paying attention. Loud pipes wouldn't have kept her from hitting me.

There's loud and there's obnoxious and many Harleys would qualify as both

Most engines are designed with a smooth firing order to keep vibration to a minimum and make good power. A conventional V-twin has a firing pulse once every 360 degrees. This requires offsetting the cylinders enough to allow for a separate crankshaft throw for each cylinder

Harley doesn't do it this way. Both cylinders share a single crankshaft throw and as a result, their firing sequence is 315/405/315/405 (because it's a 45 degree Vee) instead of evenly spaced 360's - This is what gives the obnoxious sound. Couple that with no baffles and you have loud obnoxious. Every time I hear a Harley go by (even one with quiet mufflers) I want to 'fix' that 'broken' engine :lol:

Don

aarond12 said:
Wow! I didn't mean to completely derail this thread! :twisted:

FWIW: My motorcycle didn't have an annoying loud exhaust. I did have two cars swerve into my lane because they didn't see me. It's also quite challenging to kick a car while riding a motorcycle -- but very satisfying. :cool:

Why did I get rid of my bike? I got T-boned by a 18-year-old driver who wasn't paying attention. Loud pipes wouldn't have kept her from hitting me.

That really sucks! Sorry to hear about that. Glad you are still with us. :|

Don said:
Every time I hear a Harley go by (even one with quiet mufflers) I want to 'fix' that 'broken' engine.

Make her electric :lol: :lol:

Discovering a new power socket and "range extender" we were surprised by a fleet of motorcycles, some of them Harleys. They all came visiting our favorite cafe.

Later they all turned heads when we silently circled them.

Cheers
Peter and Karin

Back