RBS light Alarm

Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi i-MiEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been watching this thread for a while now. I have one cell in particular that seems to heat up (even while charging at level 1) and then stay at that temp for my daily commute.
The last couple days have been unseasonably warm and that particular cell (64) got to 90° F, when everything else was pretty much in the mid to upper 70's. It is always the same cell.
It would be good to know if this is something to watch out for and know what actions need to be taken (trip to the dealership??) if the same RBS/Turtle issue happens.
Keep us posted ;) Thanks

Temp sensor #64 has been in many discussions. I believe we finally agreed that it is picking up the liquid coolant loop for the motor, MCU, and charger. The coolant lines run really close to the pack on their way to the radiator.

If you leave CaniOn running during your drive on the cell temp graph, you'll likely notice #64 steadily increasing as you drive. This is most noticeable after the car has sat for a few hours without driving or charging.

Thank you, this is a very helpful thread. Unfortunately, the problem occurred again yesterday! This time I simply turned it on and all the lights came on. I am sending pictures from the first incident and video from the second to the link provided earlier. Thank you for any insight, I am returning the vehicle to the dealer today.

Hopefully they replace the vehicle

JoeS said:
Hi ManlyMiev, thank you for responding. Unfortunately, this generates more questions than answers -

1. How long and hard had you driven your i-MiEV before you started charging in the 80degF ambient (27degC)?

2. Mitsubishi held onto your car for three whole weeks. Did they tell you what troubleshooting they did in all that time and what was their eventual solution? Suspicion is that after all was said and done, all they did was perform a reset with their MUT3.

New question on the table: so as to avoid being stranded, does disconnecting the 12v battery reset the RBS+turtle light and return the car to driveability?
--------------------------------------------------------

Question 1- I've driven the vehicle about 2 months before any technical problems. I drive like an old lady, and put about 1500 miles on it.

Question 2- They told me they had to wait for the testing equipment to be shipped in, and that communicating with corporate engineers was required prior to each test. They didn't tell me what testing they did (I wouldn't have understood what they said anyways), but they did say that they tested level 3 with no problem :/

Question 3- I haven't tried that.

ManlyMiev, so sorry to hear that your problem reoccurred, perhaps confirming the suspicion that the dealer had simply reset the previous error code and had not 'repaired' anything.

My question dealing with "how long and hard had you driven" was intended to understand how hot the battery pack had become just prior to your experiencing the problem. Now perhaps a moot point as your problem reoccurred - in this latest incident, had you driven the car shortly before turning it on? Still trying to determine if it is temperature-related.

The only cutback I've experienced with my i-MiEV's regenerative braking is when it is fully charged, but no RBS light nor turtle. Unrelated to the i-MiEV, I have indeed experienced thermal regen cutback many times on my previous Gen1 Honda Insights and their NiMh batteries - but that's all it was: a cutback in regeneration but no warning system actuation.

Wish you all the best in pressing the dealer to either find and definitively repair this issue or else replace your new car.

At various random times, temperatures and humidity conditions, i have experienced the RBS light with exclamation and turtle warnings when trying to start. In those cases i would remove the key, wait a half-minute or so, and then try again. Usually by the 3rd try it would just start up like normal and work fine. This has occurred about 5 times in the past year.

My car is under the recall notice for the motor control unit, but i haven't scheduled to have it done yet because i like to play with fire and live on the edge and take the risk of having the car strand me--but so far it hasn't. i've probably jinxed myself by saying that, but c'est la vie...

kiev said:
My car is under the recall notice for the motor control unit, but i haven't scheduled to have it done yet because i like to play with fire and live on the edge and take the risk of having the car strand me--but so far it hasn't. i've probably jinxed myself by saying that, but c'est la vie...

I too have not scheduled the Recall. Been very cold here for this time of year and I will have to go and wait for the car, but the drive will take most of the battery

After having my RBS and Turtle Mode lights on after charging at this type of station (https://www.chargepoint.com/files/datasheets/ds-cpe200.pdf ) twice, Mitsubishi has determined that there is a negative interaction between the iMiev and this CHAdeMO station.

Whoa! Both pbui and I have successfully used this DCQC (located at ChargePoint HQ in Campbell, CA) with no problems. ManlyMiev, did the dealer provide any specific information as to what happened? I know a couple of people at ChargePoint and would like to pursue this.

Edit: I presume you successfully charged using a different brand of DCQC?

Since the car stops charging at 80%, that's still far away from 100% charge when regen limiting normally takes place (and with no alerts). Weird. Unless there's a definite cause established, I would prefer to move these posts over to your original thread RBS Light Alarm

As you can see, I moved the two posts in here. Would prefer not to have posts with scary titles unless they're substantiated and not resolved.

(Posted from Bisbee, AZ, just south of Tombstone)

JoeS said:
Whoa! Both pbui and I have successfully used this DCQC (located at ChargePoint HQ in Campbell, CA) with no problems. ManlyMiev, did the dealer provide any specific information as to what happened? I know a couple of people at ChargePoint and would like to pursue this.

Edit: I presume you successfully charged using a different brand of DCQC?

Since the car stops charging at 80%, that's still far away from 100% charge when regen limiting normally takes place (and with no alerts). Weird. Unless there's a definite cause established, I would prefer to move these posts over to your original thread RBS Light Alarm

As you can see, I moved the two posts in here. Would prefer not to have posts with scary titles unless they're substantiated and not resolved.

(Posted from Bisbee, AZ, just south of Tombstone)

The dealer said I likely opened the door while it was being charged at this specific charger, which caused the battery to go into protective mode. The dealer says they have to deal directly with Mitsu to test the vehicle, and that Mitsu was able to reproduce the warning codes using this charger. I really do not understand the technical side of any of it, what documents should I ask from the dealer to substantiate? They specifically recommended that I do not use this charger.

In terms of using another QC, the dealership tried a different one with no issues. I have only used the type mentioned.

ManlyMiev said:
The dealer said I likely opened the door while it was being charged at this specific charger, which caused the battery to go into protective mode. The dealer says they have to deal directly with Mitsu to test the vehicle, and that Mitsu was able to reproduce the warning codes using this charger. I really do not understand the technical side of any of it, what documents should I ask from the dealer to substantiate? They specifically recommended that I do not use this charger. In terms of using another QC, the dealership tried a different one with no issues. I have only used the type mentioned.
Hi ManlyMiev, thank you for the update. Intriguing puzzle.

So, to recap, Mitsubishi is saying that opening the car door while DCQC charging resulted in a Regenerative Braking System failure light and turtle mode, and that this only happens with ChargePoint DCQC.

(I'm presently in Las Cruces NM and as soon as this lightning/thunderstorm :shock: goes away I'll run out to the car and look for my backup home computer address book to see if I can find my ChargePoint contact's email - this is an issue ChargePoint probably needs to pursue directly with Mitsubishi. From my perspective, this is a very strange cause-effect relationship.)

If you guys/gals have any keywords I can ask for from the dealership to get substantiation I can go get it so the more technically inclined among you can decipher.

Opening the door should have NO effect on a charging session. This is a deeper problem than just saying it's a charger issue. The dealer is being, well, a dealer....

I'm interested in seeing this issue resolved, so I'll see what I can do.

I QCharge numerous times with the CP200, and usually with the door opened as I sort of cleaned out the car while waiting the 7-8 minutes.

Thanks. pbui19 . We have to figure out how to get ManlyMiev's i-MiEV out of the closet so he can charge with door open. I think his I-MiEV may just have a case of shyness.... :)

Thanks forum friends! Not sure if the dealer is trying to hide a defect or if there is a problem with the charger. Will post any updates here.

Here we go again...

With some hot Summer temperatures of the last week or so, i've been getting the RBS,!, and turtle when i make a little quick drive and stop. Hop out and park out in the black asphalt lots, then run in to a store for a few minutes and then head back home. Several times it has thrown the trouble lights and only runs slow (turtle). Stop and cycle the key a few times, eventually it clears.

Today it did i again so i pulled off the road and turned on the AC max and set the blower vane position to send cold air to the pack. After a few minutes tried again and it went to Ready mode with no trouble lights.

i'm thinking there is something sensitive to temperature that is near the warning limit, and driving hard with hard regen on hot days is pushing it over the edge?

Funny thing is i just got another notice from Mits about the recall to be done on the Motor Control Unit.

KiEV, do you have any CaniOn screenshots showing battery temps or OVMS screenshots showing the PEM temperature?

If it is battery temps causing the issue, obviously blowing cold air in would clear it. But, if it is the MCU overheating, the AC would also help to some degree by keeping air moving across the radiator when stopped (the coolant pump seems to run shortly after being put into Park every time).

The weather in my area has really been screwed up so far this year. We had a 95 F hot spell for a few days, then it cooled down into the 60's, got warm again, then rained all of May. Saturday (6-11) was over 90 F with a low of 75 F (not normal for Pittsburgh), but yesterday held 75 F as the high and dropped to 50 F last night (that's more like it :D ). No trouble with the car, though, but I run CaniOn when on longer trips and try to keep the pack below 90 F.

If you still have the pending MCU recall, that'll likely solve your problem.

Back